road bike questions

Old October 10th 18, 02:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default road bike questions

On 10/9/2018 5:25 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/9/2018 4:11 PM, jbeattie wrote:

Or ride like Sagan and get the podium girls. But don't do
this:
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013...x615_large.jpg

Now he'll never be elected to congress. Or if he ever is
elected, he'll be drummed out of it.

https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com...ze=644 %2C424

I don't much like him or his voting record in Congress but
that was IMHO a raw deal, given human behavior generally and
Congress in particular. It's not funny but it isn't criminal
either.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 10th 18, 05:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/10/2018 9:11 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/9/2018 5:25 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/9/2018 4:11 PM, jbeattie wrote:

Or ride like Sagan and get the podium girls.Â* But don't do
this:
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013...x615_large.jpg

Now he'll never be elected to congress. Or if he ever is
elected, he'll be drummed out of it.

https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com...ze=644 %2C424

I don't much like him or his voting record in Congress but that was IMHO
a raw deal, given human behavior generally and Congress in particular.
It's not funny but it isn't criminal either.

Agreed.

A lot of humor is a sort of balancing act, an attempt to be just "edgy"
enough without crossing the line into being offensive. But these days
the line is shifting rapidly and retroactively.

I'm not condoning assault on women, but not every wisecrack is a mortal sin.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 11th 18, 07:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Joerg wrote:

In the end it's all the same, whether you
call it zero plus some propelling or reduced
drag plus no propelling.

I'm sorry, what are drag and propelling in
this context?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old October 11th 18, 09:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-10-10 23:40, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Joerg wrote:

In the end it's all the same, whether you
call it zero plus some propelling or reduced
drag plus no propelling.

I'm sorry, what are drag and propelling in
this context?

Drag is the miniscule braking action that is caused by the clicking
freehub pawls. Propelling would be anything that assists in the forward
motion of the bicycle.

Again, these forces are so small that they woudn't ever be noticed.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old October 12th 18, 10:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:

I had in mind something like this:
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Boo...-srp1-_-title1

_Richard's 21st Century Bicycle Book_ by
Richard Ballantine is his third or fourth
version of his book on bikes. It covers lots of
fundamentals -
types of bikes, a bit of history, choices of
equipment, riding safely and well, plus some
basic maintenance. It's a pretty good read,
a way to move your knowledge up from the most
basic level. (Which is not to say I agree with
everything in the book.)

I also think you could learn by reading
something more general, like this:
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Boo...-srp1-_-title3

God willing, I'll get those two books and read
them. If and when I do, I'll post here what
I found the most interesting parts.

Old October 12th 18, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:

I also think you could learn by reading
something more general, like this:
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Boo...-srp1-_-title3

.... what is the title and author of this book?

Old October 13th 18, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 23:28:02 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Frank Krygowski wrote:

I also think you could learn by reading
something more general, like this:
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Boo...-srp1-_-title3

... what is the title and author of this book?

Errr... if you go to the site to which the address above directs you
will discover that the title of the book is: The Way Things Work by a
T. Lodewijk and published by Simon & Schuster
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old October 13th 18, 03:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/12/2018 5:28 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

I also think you could learn by reading
something more general, like this:
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Boo...-srp1-_-title3

... what is the title and author of this book?

_The Way Things Work: An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Technology_

It's a very general book, just showing the details of lots of devices,
many of them mechanical. In a way, it's a popular primer on engineering.

When I was a young teenager, I learned a lot from books like that. I
remember getting razzed for reading a book titled _Automotive
Essentials_. It explained every aspect of a car's mechanics. Other guys
thought it was weird for me to be trying to learn that stuff.

I suspect most of those guys are still working as cashiers, or maybe
politicians.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 13th 18, 03:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Frank Krygowski wrote:

I also think you could learn by reading
something more general, like this:
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Boo...-srp1-_-title3

... what is the title and author of this book?

_The Way Things Work: An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Technology_

It's a very general book, just showing the details of lots of devices,
many of them mechanical. In a way, it's a popular primer on engineering.

When I was a young teenager, I learned a lot from books like that. I
remember getting razzed for reading a book titled _Automotive
Essentials_. It explained every aspect of a car's mechanics. Other guys
thought it was weird for me to be trying to learn that stuff.

I suspect most of those guys are still working as cashiers, or maybe
politicians.

Or doctors or hedge fund managers. I know plenty of people who can't fix cars or bikes -- but managed to retire at 50 and live half the year in France.. Look around. There is a low correlation between mechanical skill and emotional, social or economic success. The only reason I learned to work on bikes was that I had a weird fascination with bikes. I like doing plumbing and electrical, but when you think about it, there is a high opportunity cost if you have other more valuable skills. And although I can change my oil, it's so cheap and easy to have others do it, why bother. The upside to being able to do things myself is that I don't have to wait for others to do them for me, but you really can go down a rabbit hole if you absolutely have to do everything yourself, particular if you want to prove that you can fix that low-dollar POS thing that is basically disposable. Spend half a day re-wiring an earbud or a keychain LED light.

-- Jay Beattie.