Discs

Old November 20th 17, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Discs

On 2017-11-19 16:26, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 08:15:53 -0800, Joerg

On 2017-11-18 18:22, John B. wrote:

[...]

But more to the point $10 for a tee shirt? That is (last time I
checked the exchange rate) 330 baht for a tee shirt? Absurd, I buy
tee shirts for 100 baht each, six for 500 baht.

We can get them for that price as well. However, then the collars wear
out faster and become floppy. Also, I need 100% cotton and of good
quality. Not something super-thin that unravels at the first brush with
a blackberry bush.

You need to do more research. The 100% cotton are the cheap ones.

But I don't understand the demand for high quality tee shirts. after
all you have extolled us with your stories of riding with ragged
shorts and sandals but you just got to have a beautiful tee shirt to
go with the rags?

As I said one of the differences between good and bad quality T-shirts
is the collar. On good ones it easily lasts hundreds of washes. On bad
ones it loses elasticity and looks yucky.

I have four T-shirt stacks because that's what I wear 8-9 months/year
except to church or when I have a video call on the web with clients.
The two first stacks are the non-blemished ones for being dressed
"properly". Stack #3 is for cycling where minor blemishes don't matter.
Stack #4 has T-shirts with small holes, stains or worn collars and is
used for messy work around the house, yard, bike repair or when brewing.
So a T-shirt is a migratory device here and when it comes off stack #4
it is really, really used up.

Similar with the jeans shorts where I have three stacks.

Ten dollar tee and ragged shorts and no shoes? Amazing!

Sandals are shoes and I only wear good quality leather ones. In the
winter running shoes, the $30 wholesale kind because I quickly found
that there is no discernible quality difference between those and $80
fancy versions. Sometimes you do not get what you pay for.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old November 20th 17, 10:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 11/18/2017 7:30 AM, Joerg wrote:

snip

Oh, yes, right. We must bow down deeply and I should never complain
about having to pay 10x or more than my current solution. Another
confession. I use $10 T-shirts on all my rides instead of $100
technicolor Spandex.

You should just go to a trade show every couple of years and stock up on
free tee-shirts. I have to keep giving these shirts away.

I prefer long-sleeved, non-cotton, tee-shirts for riding, and those do
cost $10-12. Fortunately these are now widely available at local stores
like Walmart.
Old November 20th 17, 10:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-11-20 13:23, sms wrote:
On 11/18/2017 7:30 AM, Joerg wrote:

snip

Oh, yes, right. We must bow down deeply and I should never complain
about having to pay 10x or more than my current solution. Another
confession. I use $10 T-shirts on all my rides instead of $100
technicolor Spandex.

You should just go to a trade show every couple of years and stock up on
free tee-shirts. I have to keep giving these shirts away.

However, the flight, hotel and so on will set you back several hundred
Dollars :-)

Good quality T-shirts can live 5-10 years until they migrate to my
cycling stack. There they'll live another two years until it's on to the
stack I use for rough jobs, painting and so on. Nothing gets wasted.

As I am writing this I am wearing a T-shirt from PricePoint. It was
about $5 on sale, good quality, 100% cotton, very small logo and
otherwise gray. The logo is an inverted smiling shark, no idea what
manufacturer it is supposed to represent.

Some folks think higher priced stuff is better. Often not so. When I
wore $80 running shoes on the bike they were totally worn and breaking
up after a year. $30 shoes, same thing, same life span. $30 sandals show
hardly any wear after a year.

I prefer long-sleeved, non-cotton, tee-shirts for riding, and those do
cost $10-12. Fortunately these are now widely available at local stores
like Walmart.

I can't stand long sleeves when cycling although it would certainly be
better re skin cancer, poison oak brushings and all that.

PricePoint back in its days had very nice bright-colored T-shirts and I
bought some. Unfortunately, as with most such clothes, they need to be
washed separately, meaning hand-wash. Else all the other clothes in that
washing machine load will end up pink.

Old November 21st 17, 12:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, November 20, 2017 at 2:48:00 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-11-20 13:23, sms wrote:
[...]

https://www.rei.com/search.html?q=PO...E&version=g 1

try polypro

expensive sneakers are NOT worn bicycling. DUH. infacto not wearing sneakers pedaling is AAA. soles always break.

Whts needed is a durable stiff flexible insole. Haven’t found the material yet thin composites show promise. Try zappos with filter n look for sneakers with thick solid soles. Always a loser but …

Some folks think higher priced stuff is better. Often not so. When I
wore $80 running shoes on the bike they were totally worn and breaking
up after a year. $30 shoes, same thing, same life span. $30 sandals show
hardly any wear after a year.

Not logical. Your sneaker prob is uncoonected to some folks think

Walmart DOES NOT sell even 90% poly T’s for ten bucks.
Old November 21st 17, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-11-20 13:23, sms wrote:

[...]

I prefer long-sleeved, non-cotton, tee-shirts for riding, and
those do cost $10-12. Fortunately these are now widely available
at local stores like Walmart.

I can't stand long sleeves when cycling although it would certainly
be better re skin cancer, poison oak brushings and all that.

PricePoint back in its days had very nice bright-colored T-shirts
and I bought some. Unfortunately, as with most such clothes, they
need to be washed separately, meaning hand-wash. Else all the other
clothes in that washing machine load will end up pink.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

https://www.rei.com/search.html?q=PO...E&version=g 1

try polypro

expensive sneakers are NOT worn bicycling. DUH. infacto not wearing
sneakers pedaling is AAA. soles always break.

They don't. What breaks are the sides.

Whts needed is a durable stiff flexible insole. Haven’t found the
material yet thin composites show promise. Try zappos with filter n
look for sneakers with thick solid soles. Always a loser but …

I just get $30 pairs from Costco whenever they wear out. I don't need
them more than 3-4mo per year anyhow. The sandals I wear the other
months don't wear out so it's not a problem for me. Interestingly it's
the same for hiking but there it is the soles that wear out (holes)
while sandals don't. When you have big dogs long walks are unavoidable,
every single day.

Some folks think higher priced stuff is better. Often not so. When I
wore $80 running shoes on the bike they were totally worn and
breaking up after a year. $30 shoes, same thing, same life span. $30
sandals show hardly any wear after a year.

Not logical. Your sneaker prob is uncoonected to some folks think

Not a problem, only an observation. The shoes that held up the longest
in terms of years, walking miles and cycling miles were my army boots
(the parachutist kind). They are not so comfortable in summer though.

Walmart DOES NOT sell even 90% poly T’s for ten bucks.

How about $2.75?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fruit-of-...5574#read-more

Old November 21st 17, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2017-11-20 13:23, sms wrote:
On 11/18/2017 7:30 AM, Joerg wrote:

snip

Oh, yes, right. We must bow down deeply and I should never complain
about having to pay 10x or more than my current solution. Another
confession. I use $10 T-shirts on all my rides instead of $100
technicolor Spandex.

You should just go to a trade show every couple of years and stock up on
free tee-shirts. I have to keep giving these shirts away.

However, the flight, hotel and so on will set you back several hundred
Dollars :-)

Good quality T-shirts can live 5-10 years until they migrate to my
cycling stack. There they'll live another two years until it's on to the
stack I use for rough jobs, painting and so on. Nothing gets wasted.

I wear my super-fancy Technicolor Spandex jerseys like once or twice, and then I throw them away -- except for all of them. Top this. I have my club jerseys from 1977-79. I have my BBC and Saturn jerseys from the 80s (not THE Saturn team, just a local team). I have a bunch from the '90s. I have wool jerseys that are easily 20 years old, and they're long sleeve -- perfect under a rain jacket. They're great -- pockets, zippers. You would think they were actually made for riding a bike!

As I am writing this I am wearing a T-shirt from PricePoint. It was
about $5 on sale, good quality, 100% cotton, very small logo and
otherwise gray. The logo is an inverted smiling shark, no idea what
manufacturer it is supposed to represent.

Some folks think higher priced stuff is better. Often not so. When I
wore $80 running shoes on the bike they were totally worn and breaking
up after a year. $30 shoes, same thing, same life span. $30 sandals show
hardly any wear after a year.

I have some sale-table Giro SPD shoes I got for $89 three or four years ago, and they're still going strong. I'm about to jump in them and ride home through about five inches of standing water. Gore booties, too -- which I'm going to dry and hit with some Scotchgard tonight. I got some seep through this morning -- but then again, it was storming, and I was riding through five inches of standing water.

I prefer long-sleeved, non-cotton, tee-shirts for riding, and those do
cost $10-12. Fortunately these are now widely available at local stores
like Walmart.

I can't stand long sleeves when cycling although it would certainly be
better re skin cancer, poison oak brushings and all that.

Don't you cycle in winter . . . in rain, snow? A short sleeve t-shirt and lumberjack shirt would work for approximately none of my riding this time of year. I'd look like a wet dog after three minutes of my commute. Cotton is a fair weather fabric. It grows in hot climates.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old November 21st 17, 11:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2017-11-20 13:23, sms wrote:
[...]

Jay having to wear cotton because of skin rash is a handicap. That doesn't mean that the cycling gear fabric is superior in functionality. Skin rash is one of the many issues Joerg has ;-). No point in discussing them.

Lou
Old November 21st 17, 04:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-11-20 13:23, sms wrote:
[...]

I have no doubt they last a long time, it's just that I can't wear most
artificial fibers. Also, mountain biking is a different story. During
almost every ride I pull some loops on a T-shirt and have some blood
running down a shoulder. Not a crash, just blackberry brambles, thistle
bushes and stuff. If I damage a $10 T-shirt that is several years old I
am not going to shed a tear. Once they made it to the cycling stack
their "book value" has dropped to less than 50c anyhow. Unless it's a
Greenbay Packers T-shirt :-)

[...]

I just had to dry my running shoes in front of the wood stove. It said
"Don't enter when flooded" but oh heck ... then ... oh darn! Once in you
can't turn around.

Also, I abhor any kind of locking pedals. Even removed the loop pedals
from my road bike and mounted ... gasp ... oh horror ... MTB pedals.

I prefer long-sleeved, non-cotton, tee-shirts for riding, and
those do cost $10-12. Fortunately these are now widely available
at local stores like Walmart.

I can't stand long sleeves when cycling although it would certainly
be better re skin cancer, poison oak brushings and all that.

Don't you cycle in winter . . . in rain, snow? A short sleeve
t-shirt and lumberjack shirt would work for approximately none of my
riding this time of year. I'd look like a wet dog after three
minutes of my commute. Cotton is a fair weather fabric. It grows in
hot climates.

Well, we are different. When I ride in the Sierra in the dead of winter
I usually take off the lumberjack shirt once the first long uphill
section shows. Tyically I only wear long sleeve shirts to church and
business meetings. The latter only for minutes, then I roll up the
sleeves. Even at church I do unless I am on usher duty.

Old November 21st 17, 06:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2017-11-20 13:23, sms wrote:
[...]

If you were a serious rider, you'd have a shoe drier. Drying shoes in front of the wood stove is not good for them.

I abhor platforms. I've been in some sort of cleat system for 45 years -- except on resort bikes or touring, although later in life I used SPDs for touring.

I prefer long-sleeved, non-cotton, tee-shirts for riding, and
those do cost $10-12. Fortunately these are now widely available
at local stores like Walmart.

I can't stand long sleeves when cycling although it would certainly
be better re skin cancer, poison oak brushings and all that.

Don't you cycle in winter . . . in rain, snow? A short sleeve
t-shirt and lumberjack shirt would work for approximately none of my
riding this time of year. I'd look like a wet dog after three
minutes of my commute. Cotton is a fair weather fabric. It grows in
hot climates.

Well, we are different. When I ride in the Sierra in the dead of winter
I usually take off the lumberjack shirt once the first long uphill
section shows.

Do you only go up -- and is it always dry and sunny? You'd freeze your ass off around here descending a few thousand feet in a lumberjack shirt -- cut-offs and sandals, or whatever other homeless outfit you wear, particularly if its raining or snowing.

Tyically I only wear long sleeve shirts to church and
business meetings. The latter only for minutes, then I roll up the
sleeves. Even at church I do unless I am on usher duty.

During the late fall and winter (starting promptly after Thanksgiving), I go to church every Sunday. He https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9CK9CJ59q0 The devout do back-flips. I wear long sleeve base-layer, mid-layer (sometimes down) and a jacket, the usual PNW church clothes.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old November 21st 17, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-11-20 18:02, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Nah, easy. I stuff crumpled newspaper in there. Of course, one should
not set them so close to the stove that it could ignite when dried.
Since I have several pairs of older running shoes I just take another
for the next ride. Sandals during non-winter months don't have that
issue, they are usually already dry by the time I get home even after a
serious river crossing.

I abhor platforms. I've been in some sort of cleat system for 45
years -- except on resort bikes or touring, although later in life I
used SPDs for touring.

We have very different opinions there. I met a seasoned MTB rider a
couple of weeks ago who had a fast crash and couldn't get one foot out
because of an obstruction. He consequently flew into a pile of rocks
with his bike attached and broke a wrist.

[...]

That is what other riders ask me as well when they see me. The answer is
no, I don't get cold easily. In winter I wear running shoes though.

Tyically I only wear long sleeve shirts to church and
business meetings. The latter only for minutes, then I roll up the
sleeves. Even at church I do unless I am on usher duty.

During the late fall and winter (starting promptly after
Thanksgiving), I go to church every Sunday. He
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9CK9CJ59q0 The devout do
back-flips. I wear long sleeve base-layer, mid-layer (sometimes down)
and a jacket, the usual PNW church clothes.

It seems we are also very different in that domain.

Vented Discs Ben C Recumbent Biking 35 June 29th 09 02:26 AM
Cable discs Tim Hall UK 13 June 18th 09 11:56 PM
Rollo-Discs Unisykolist Unicycling 5 December 5th 08 02:34 AM
discs vs V brakes ODB Australia 31 October 23rd 06 08:37 AM
new to discs - squeeky when wet ! Steve Walton UK 6 November 21st 04 02:46 PM