Cold weather gear and icebike any good?

Old October 4th 04, 04:38 AM
chris christanis

Default Cold weather gear and icebike any good?

Anyone try this brand of gear. Col d'Lizárd

This is the site: http://users.rcn.com/icebike/Default.htm

Or if you know of some good gear? I am listening. I am trying to get ready
for fall ...winter maybe? I am in upstate NY so we are cold around this
time. I am especially looking for a good jacket. Thanks a lot.

Old October 4th 04, 05:30 AM
B i l l S o r n s o n

chris christanis wrote:
Anyone try this brand of gear. Col d'Lizárd

Not positive, but I think they were formerly Gekko Gear. There's a guy on
AM-B who swears by (pimps) their stuff.

Bill "don't need any extreme stuff here in San Diego" S.

Old October 4th 04, 10:48 PM
Doug Purdy

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 03:38:34 +0000, chris christanis wrote:

Anyone try this brand of gear. Col d'Lizárd

This is the site: http://users.rcn.com/icebike/Default.htm

Or if you know of some good gear? I am listening. I am trying to get
ready for fall ...winter maybe? I am in upstate NY so we are cold around
this time. I am especially looking for a good jacket. Thanks a lot.

Col d'Lizárd used to be Gekko Gear like Bill Sornson wrote. The Icebike
site is good but there are different winter conditions and different
clothes will work better for each condition.

Lots of people push rain jackets for winter but winter weather in southern
Ontario is probably more similar to upstate NY than maritime Oregon.
Basically there is rain in the fall and spring but the winter itself is
snow, not rain.

Rain jackets tend to hold perspiration in even when they have large
underarm zips. One of my jackets has pretty good vents and zips and passes
humidity, but not fast enough for really hard riding. Also the wrists are
held in with elastic so no ventilation down the arms. This jacket makes me
wet and cold in the winter for my fast 12 mile commute but would be ok for
short leisurely rides.

When it's not raining, I find a jacket with wind blocking on the front of
the body and the arms is best. The humidity escapes out the back and I
stay dry. This can be a bit cool at stoplights when there is a high
following wind but as I often use a messenger bag that helps keep my back
warmer.

Heavy snow can cause leg problems as the salt melts the snow and vehicles
splash through slush ridges firing the wet slush up at riders. Usually
that hits my legs up to my waist so tights that can handle those
conditions are best. I usually wear tights that block the wind and rain in
front but pass humidity out the back. With long underwear for high energy
sports that's a good combo for my wet and dry winter weather,

Good luck!

Doug
Old October 5th 04, 12:38 AM
Rich Clark

"chris christanis" wrote in message
Anyone try this brand of gear. Col d'Lizárd

This is the site: http://users.rcn.com/icebike/Default.htm

Or if you know of some good gear? I am listening. I am trying to get ready
for fall ...winter maybe? I am in upstate NY so we are cold around this
time. I am especially looking for a good jacket. Thanks a lot.

Lots of good advice on the Icebike site.

I bought a few things from Gekko before they changed their name. Good
service, and in one case they sewed me a custom garment at no extra charge
becasue the standard size didn't fit right.

I have their cycling vest -- a terrifically useful garment -- and it's been
great. I highly recommend the cycling vest (windblocking front, open-mesh
back) because it most effectively keeps your core temperature from dripping
in chilly weather without making your back sweat. The old-school version was
to stuff newspapers under the front of your jersey.

I have a couple of their fleece cycling jerseys, which have also been very
serviceable. Their balaclavas (I have two, a light one and a heavy one) are
indispensible. I've been less happy with their arm- and leg-warmers, which
are falling apart. I like the ones from Velowear a lot better.

I don't have a cycling jacket; even in sub-freezing temperatures I find that
layering is more effective. A wicking long-sleeve t-shirt, followed by a
fleece jersey, with a windbreaker over the top, with possibly another layer
of fleece (a vest) if it's really cold. One or two pairs of tights over my
regular bib shorts; one or two pairs of wool socks; a pair of Trek winter
gloves with (if necessary) liners under them; an extra ear-band with the
balaclava.

I'm a wimp, though; I don't ride in the snow. Here in Philadelphia the last
few years, that hasn't been much of an issue. It rarely gets colder than 20F
here during the day -- and usually it's not even that cold -- so what works
for me probably doesn't apply to the dead of a Thousand Island winter.

RichC

RichC

Old October 5th 04, 01:40 AM
roadieforlife

"chris christanis" wrote in message ...
Anyone try this brand of gear. Col d'Lizárd

This is the site: http://users.rcn.com/icebike/Default.htm

Or if you know of some good gear? I am listening. I am trying to get ready
for fall ...winter maybe? I am in upstate NY so we are cold around this
time. I am especially looking for a good jacket. Thanks a lot.

I highly recomend the "Polartech Powerstretch 100" tights from Col
d'Lizard. I bought a pair last fall and they made the Indiana winter
much more bearable.
They are virtualy wind/water proof and I was able to ride in temps
well below
10F. Watch the sizing though, they run a bit small.
Old October 5th 04, 01:56 AM
Fx199

Subject: Cold weather gear and icebike any good?
From: (roadieforlife)
Date: 10/4/2004 7:40 PM US Eastern Standard Time
"chris christanis" wrote in message
Anyone try this brand of gear. Col d'Lizárd

This is the site:
http://users.rcn.com/icebike/Default.htm

Or if you know of some good gear? I am listening. I am trying to get ready
for fall ...winter maybe? I am in upstate NY so we are cold around this
time. I am especially looking for a good jacket. Thanks a lot.

I highly recomend the "Polartech Powerstretch 100" tights from Col
d'Lizard. I bought a pair last fall and they made the Indiana winter
much more bearable.
They are virtualy wind/water proof and I was able to ride in temps
well below
10F. Watch the sizing though, they run a bit small.

What part of Indiana?
Old October 5th 04, 12:12 PM
roadieforlife

From:
(roadieforlife)
Date: 10/4/2004 7:40 PM US Eastern Standard Time
"chris christanis" wrote in message
Anyone try this brand of gear. Col d'Lizárd

This is the site:
http://users.rcn.com/icebike/Default.htm

Or if you know of some good gear? I am listening. I am trying to get ready
for fall ...winter maybe? I am in upstate NY so we are cold around this
time. I am especially looking for a good jacket. Thanks a lot.

I highly recomend the "Polartech Powerstretch 100" tights from Col
d'Lizard. I bought a pair last fall and they made the Indiana winter
much more bearable.
They are virtualy wind/water proof and I was able to ride in temps
well below
10F. Watch the sizing though, they run a bit small.

What part of Indiana?

Indianapolis, although I recently moved to the Greensboro, NC area. Looking
forward to much milder winters!
Old October 6th 04, 01:49 AM
Fx199

What part of Indiana?

Indianapolis, although I recently moved to the Greensboro, NC area. Looking
forward to much milder winters!

North of Ft Wayne here...arrrgh..may be moving in a couple years to Colorado