Broken KH Fusion Saddle Allready?!

Old April 6th 05, 05:13 AM
munimanpete

Default Broken KH Fusion Saddle Allready?!

I've had my new KH Fusion Saddle now for only 2 months and 4 days (I
checked the invoice), and I think I've allready broken it. Yesterday I
was just casually riding around in my garage, I went to do a small hop
to test my tire pressure, and as i hopped I heard a fairly loud 'crack'
in my seat, now I can flex it and every time I do it makes the cracking
noise. Im really annoyed at this because I haven't had the seat very
long (not nearly as long as my old, old version KH seat) and havent yet
done any too strenuous riding on it, but also because when I broke it I
was just doing a small hop.
I looked at the seat base and it doesnt look like the plastic base is
broken, but the way it cracks and moves (it kind of jolts every time it
cracks) I have a feeling I may have snapped the metal reniforcer plate
insdie it. Does this sound like it would be right?
So now im wondering what to do. I have no money to repair it or buy a
new seat at the moment, and probably won't have for a while. So should
I:
- take off the cover, find the problem and figure how to fix it etc,
then put the cover back on, ride it how it is until I can fix it.
- leave the cover on until I know I have enough money to fix it straight
away when I take the cover off because if I take it off now I probably
wont be able to put it back on due to the problem..
Im really annoyed as this is a fairly new seat, wasnt broken under
extreme circumstances, and is supposed to be the much stronger new
version KH, when its lasted much less then my old (probably about 1st
generation) KH seat.

As a side note would the 'added stiffness' they say the new seats have
possibly be a problem? The old seats flexed more, and over time just got
more flexy, breaking eventually. With the new stiffnes would it be like
wood: bamboo is extremely strong and can bend heaps, while stiff wood
doesnt bend, but can snap much more easily...if you get my drift, do you
think it could be like this with the seats?

--
munimanpete - the unicycling kiwi

WWW.MUNIMAN.2YA.COM

*www.unicycle.2ya.com*
munimanpete's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6311

Old April 6th 05, 05:53 AM
jagur

that sucks. whats weird is the bolts didnt rip out like usual.

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
-forget_your_life-
--------------------------------------
-------*muni militia *-------
*one wheeled death squad*

Old April 6th 05, 11:59 AM
Brian MacKenzie

you may as well utilize the cover for how it was designed, pull it apart
and take a look inside to see what is broken.

if it's the metal reinforcement that's cracked, throw it out (or weld it
if it's steel)

I've lost those steel pieces on most of my Velo seats , they add
stiffness I guess, but it's still not ideal.

--
Brian MacKenzie - LAN Solo

'TRAINING WHEEL NOT REQUIRED DVD - NOW AVAILABLE!'
(HTTP://WWW.LBMMULTIMEDIA.COM)

'Unicycle Product Reviews'
(http://londonunicyclingclub.ca/unicycleReviews.aspx)
*120* reviews on *77* products, never make an uninformed purchase again!

Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

Old April 6th 05, 02:47 PM
U-Turn

Warrantee it, that's what the warrantee is for.

--
U-Turn - As long as my feet keep movin'...

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
-- Dave Stockton

Old April 6th 05, 03:19 PM
brockfisher05

i dont think there is a warantee on kh stuff I could be wrong but I
still dont think so

--
brockfisher05 - THE YAM FATHER

Also a member of the Vancouver unicycle group

ADD ME AT:
brockfisher05's Profile:
http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8363

Old April 6th 05, 03:49 PM
U-Turn

brockfisher05 wrote:
*i dont think there is a warantee on kh stuff I could be wrong but I
still dont think so *

Well the uni.com warrantee is for one month, which of course does not
help in the current situation.

Old April 6th 05, 03:59 PM
johnfoss

It's hard for us to have an opinion if nobody knows what happened to
your seat. Unfortunately, sometimes things to break. It could be a
defect, or just a very unlikely shock that got applied to the part at
some time, possibly before it arrived at your house.

If the seat weren't so new, I'd say it could be metal fatigue, which can
happen with thousands of small bends, rather than one big one. But 2
months seems kind of short for that, unless you hop constantly.

So to continue with this thread, you really need to rip it open and take
a picture. It will be cool to see inside one of those!

--
johnfoss - The wilder Wilder

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

Old April 6th 05, 04:15 PM
tylercox

Pic please.....

--
tylercox - I'm gooder than you!

Proud Freestylist and a Freestyle Club Member!

I'm 160 on the NKS System...
tylercox's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6120

Old April 6th 05, 09:26 PM
munimanpete

Well the noise seems to have lessened now, but it's still there. So yeah
I think I'll pull it apart tonight and take a look.

Old April 6th 05, 11:28 PM
KcTheAcy@School

That happend to me too and after it happend the seat would creak and
squeek when I pulled up on it. I took the seat apart and the stiffner
plate had cracked where the front bolts are. There wasent much I could
do so I took the oppertunity to trim my foam down to make a very comfy
seat out hold. I am thinking about getting a CF base, or waiting untill
the GB4 stiffners come out.

--
KcTheAcy@School - My computer broke
KcTheAcy@School's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9419

Kris Holm Fusion air saddle KcTheAcy Unicycling 2 February 2nd 05 09:48 PM
Broken KH Saddle unicyclistjoe Unicycling 22 June 13th 04 11:53 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
15,000 km on my Brooks saddle and it's not broken in yet? Keith Boone Techniques 9 August 15th 03 12:39 AM