How long should pedals last?

Old March 20th 18, 10:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default How long should pedals last?

On 2018-03-20 12:33, sms wrote:
On 3/20/2018 10:12 AM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

I think that these Portland companies should open a store in Cupertino.
We have many tour buses coming into town every day and after they visit
the Apple Visitor Center they could stop at one of these bike shops.

Bike Tires Direct is here, too:
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...ce-course-tire
Incredible deal on a great fast tire!

Tires have such huge mark-ups. I know someone at a club whose race team
gets about 60% off retail for tires, which is less than shops can buy
them for. Yet obviously the manufacturer is still not selling at a loss.
It's nice of the manufacturers to support race teams with these
discounts, but I expect that the shops are not thrilled about losing
these high-margin sales.

I prefer Thai tires, they are low cost and IME of good durability.

Dirt is too expensive down there for these guys to open a
bricks-and-mortar store. They can get the revenue via the interweb
and skip the lease. You need some business with a higher margin to
justify the rents and labor costs in the Bay Area.

We recently lost Chain Reaction's Los Altos store which was a big loss.
I think that the space is still not leased. But it made sense for them,
their customers will still likely buy high-end bikes from their other
store, but not go that far for other items.

But there are places in the Bay Area with low lease rates. But the
owners of the buildings are always looking to redevelop so you are
constantly moving.

That is a show-stopper for most businesses. They absolutely abhor
moving. So do I.

... My wife's office has moved three times already. The
last time they moved the building was knocked down the next day. And the
place they moved to will also be torn down in a few years.

Have they ever asked themselves what their productivity loss due to
those events was in Dollars?

At Universal and Western, I monkey punch my order into the website,
get an e-mail that its ready to pick up and then walk or ride over
there. It's sort of a hybrid process -- but both shops are making
their real money on the internet.

Fry's is doing that now too. But when you go to pick up your order it's
either incomplete or they can't find it at all and they have to send
someone out to pick it again.

Or you get somebody else's returned merchandise ...

What I like about Western is their head mechanic who is a hoot and
makes steel frames and forks on the side. His father was a bicycle
fanatic, so he knows all the old lore -- and he is indulgent with my
story telling about the good old days. You have to humor the old guys
-- who are the ones spending the money. That's what drives shop
loyalty in the age of the interweb.

I think that you need to buy an Amazon Echo Silver to deal with the
stories https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvT_gqs5ETk.

BTW, the real deals up here are from the local
manufacturers/distributors like Rapha, Castelli USA and Showers Pass
who have some incredible warehouse sales, but you have to go over
there and elbow people in confined spaces. The annual Rapha sale is
crazy, and I always go with my best bicycling buddy, but I never buy
anything because even at half off, its too expensive. I do like
standing shoulder to shoulder with people, trying on jackets though.
It's like cramming frat brothers into a telephone booth.

My son now works he https://stagescycling.com/us/, also in PDX of
course, and he just orders pro deal or from QBP, and I worry that his
consumerism will get the better of him. Do you really need that? But
its so cheap! Practically all my best bicycling companions are in the
industry, so everyone gets pro deals -- except me, unless I get some
buddy deal, and its not worth the effort. You only need so much stuff.

When my daughter was in college on the on-campus bike co-op ordered
stuff from QBP and sold it to students, or anyone, for just a few
percent over wholesale.

No wonder it's so hard for a regular bicycle shop to make any money
selling parts and accessories and clothing. Between Nashbar, Aliexpress,
Amazon, and almost everyone knowing someone that can get them a deal
from QBP or direct from a manufacturer, it's hopeless for these shops.

It is not hopeless. There is a substantial convenience factor for people
being able to pick up a part instead of not being able to ride for a few
days until the package arrives or having to bow out of a weekend event.

However. Charging $17 for a pair of measly resin brake pads when I can
get good ceramic-based ones in Asia for $2 is not cool. That sort of
mark-up is not warranted and yes, that will cost them customers.

These days a surprising number of cyclists is not able to perform even
basic repairs such as swapping out a pretzeled derailer or mount a new
freehub. They will bring their bike to the shop and then pay whatever
the spare parts are rung up at. They are captive and will thus have to
buy at the company store.

The owner of a newly opened bike shop here in town was smart. He opened
it right next to the singletrack that goes through town. Meaning almost
every MTB rider will see it and MTB riders break stuff all the time. He
is planning to offer bike lockers so people do not need the big truck to
go for a ride (most will absolutly not cycle on roads). He said the fee
would likely include a regular tune-up. That undoubtedly will also bring
in lots of maintenance and repair business, mainly because of the
convenience. "Hey, Chris, can you take a look at the BB on my MTB in
locker #22? It made a screech last night. Install a new one if it's shot".

Sports Basement is a pretty good store and they periodically offer 20%
off everything in the store which is not a big deal for clothing, but
it's a pretty big deal for complete bicycles. Very nice people there,
without the attitude of some other stores.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old March 20th 18, 11:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

sms wrote:
Yesterday one of the pedals on my road bike started making noise. By the
end of the ride there was a large amount of play on the pedal axle. I
was waiting for the whole thing to disintegrate but I made it home.

I ordered some new MKS pedals this morning, but I'm wondering what kind
of mileage I should get out of a set of pedals. These are the original
pedals that came with my Specialized Sirrus. They are plaform pedals,
since I prefer toe-clips to SPD.

Also breaking yesterday was my Nashbar floor pump, after fixing a flat
on my wife's bicycle (and the glue in my REMA patch kit was dried up)
the check valve was flaky and the handle also kept coming out of the
tube section. Pumped up the tires with my old Zefal HPX. Ordered a new
pump along with the pedals.

Ate lunch in Shallow Alto where Apple was having some Apple Pay
promotion at a bunch of stores and restaurants, but of course couldn't
get the lunch deal with my Android phone. This was iDiscrimination.

Came home and there had been a power failure and my Internet was down
because the UPS had blown.

Flat pedals if the bearings can be replaced indefinitely one assumes the
oldest pedals I have are some DMR V8 which I use on the old commute/town
MTB they have lost there paint and is some play in the bearing, at 8k
miles. The CX/MTB they do much less miles but in far worse conditions this
said (DMR V12) I haven’t killed one recently I did have a axel bend on one
of the earlier V12’s but so far the recent ones have been good, again they
tend to loose there paint maybe a few pins.

Roger Merriman.

Old March 20th 18, 11:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-03-20 15:14, Roger Merriman wrote:
sms wrote:
[...]

What kills such stuff out here in summer is the continuous dust cloud
from he front wheel. It is often so bad that we have to leave 100ft of
space to the rider up front.

I haven’t killed one recently I did have a axel bend on one
of the earlier V12’s but so far the recent ones have been good, again they
tend to loose there paint maybe a few pins.

Regarding spindle bending I noticed that they bend slightly within the
first 1000mi but then no further. It can be felt and measured with a
level when turning the cranks. Doesn't bother me much, it was just
surrising when I noticed it the first time.

So far none of them has broken off. A friend broke a Campagnolo crank
arm and that was nasty.