Baggys?

Old February 7th 07, 03:58 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Gman

Default Baggys?

I've been running Pearl Izumis for a while, but I'd like to
go baggy.

I tried to run nylon shorts (swim trunks w/ liner cut out)
over the Pearls, but things bunch up uncomfortably. I used
to be able to get away with that, but no more.

Is there a decent baggy w/ liner that's suitable for long
periods in the saddle w/o bunching?

Old February 7th 07, 04:08 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
MattB

Gman wrote:
I've been running Pearl Izumis for a while, but I'd like to
go baggy.

I tried to run nylon shorts (swim trunks w/ liner cut out)
over the Pearls, but things bunch up uncomfortably. I used
to be able to get away with that, but no more.

Is there a decent baggy w/ liner that's suitable for long
periods in the saddle w/o bunching?

I have a couple of pairs of Oakleys that work well. Two different
models, one longer than the other. The only problem is on really hot
days they are too warm even with the vents open. On those days I try and
ride lycra instead. A bonus is pockets for stuff I like to have handy
without having to take off my pack.

Matt
Old February 7th 07, 06:44 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

MattB wrote:
Gman wrote:
I've been running Pearl Izumis for a while, but I'd like to
go baggy.

I tried to run nylon shorts (swim trunks w/ liner cut out)
over the Pearls, but things bunch up uncomfortably. I used
to be able to get away with that, but no more.

Is there a decent baggy w/ liner that's suitable for long
periods in the saddle w/o bunching?

I have a couple of pairs of Oakleys that work well. Two different
models, one longer than the other. The only problem is on really hot
days they are too warm even with the vents open. On those days I try and
ride lycra instead. A bonus is pockets for stuff I like to have handy
without having to take off my pack.

I have a pair of Fox's and another noname freerider brand. Neither
bunch up but the Fox's are cut funkily and even though I don't have
large quads they're really restrictive. The noname pair are baggier so
I catch them on the nose of my saddle a little more often but they have
great pockets, and they're warm in the winter. The major problem with
these shorts is they have a cotton-based liner which just never dries
out like lycra and such.

As Matt said, the pockets are great, with good pockets for short rides
on my 'cross bike I can throw my keys, wallet, and spare tube in my
pocket and jump on the bike and go. For long rides I can put my small
camera and snacks in an easy to reach location.

Greg
--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Old February 7th 07, 06:53 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paul Boyd

On 07/02/2007 15:58, Gman said,
I've been running Pearl Izumis for a while, but I'd like to
go baggy.

I tried to run nylon shorts (swim trunks w/ liner cut out)
over the Pearls, but things bunch up uncomfortably. I used
to be able to get away with that, but no more.

Is there a decent baggy w/ liner that's suitable for long
periods in the saddle w/o bunching?

How about http://www.endura.co.uk/hummvee-3-4.html They do for me.
There are short versions as well if you prefer.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old February 7th 07, 07:41 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

On Feb 7, 8:58 am, Gman wrote:
I've been running Pearl Izumis for a while, but I'd like to
go baggy.

I tried to run nylon shorts (swim trunks w/ liner cut out)
over the Pearls, but things bunch up uncomfortably. I used
to be able to get away with that, but no more.

Is there a decent baggy w/ liner that's suitable for long
periods in the saddle w/o bunching?

I've had lots of brands, but like my Nemas the best, Zoic 2nd and
Pearl Izumis 3rd. I have a few others that have caught on my
seatpost QR and almost killed me. Another pair (Precaryous?) kept
grabbing my legs and adding a ton of resistance to pedalling. Good
luck.

CDB

Old February 8th 07, 12:24 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Feb 7, 11:41 am, "Paladin" wrote:
On Feb 7, 8:58 am, Gman wrote:

I've been running Pearl Izumis for a while, but I'd like to
go baggy.

I tried to run nylon shorts (swim trunks w/ liner cut out)
over the Pearls, but things bunch up uncomfortably. I used
to be able to get away with that, but no more.

Is there a decent baggy w/ liner that's suitable for long
periods in the saddle w/o bunching?

I've had lots of brands, but like my Nemas the best, Zoic 2nd and
Pearl Izumis 3rd. I have a few others that have caught on my
seatpost QR and almost killed me. Another pair (Precaryous?) kept
grabbing my legs and adding a ton of resistance to pedalling. Good
luck.

CDB

I'll second the Nemas especially since they are majorly durable. Even
so, baggies are a lot hotter than lycra (especially for Matt who
thinks 50 degrees is oven-like), so you may not like them for that
reason. I have a lighter set of Azonic shorts that work well when it
gets hotter and save the Nemas for cooler temps.

JD

Old February 8th 07, 06:59 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
David W

ups.com...
On Feb 7, 8:58 am, Gman wrote:

[...]

Nemas as well, with the nifty belt loops that Penny should patent..

(I had my wife add them, based on your description Penny!!)

Old February 8th 07, 04:14 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Dean A. Stepper

"Gman" wrote in message
I've been running Pearl Izumis for a while, but I'd like to
go baggy.

I tried to run nylon shorts (swim trunks w/ liner cut out)
over the Pearls, but things bunch up uncomfortably. I used
to be able to get away with that, but no more.

Is there a decent baggy w/ liner that's suitable for long
periods in the saddle w/o bunching?

I took a chance and ordered from Hoss online. Jerseys and baggies, so far
they have been excellent. They have 6 pockets and two that zip shut. I
like to keep my camera handy.

Dean

http://www.hossmtb.com/index.php

Old February 8th 07, 04:34 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Scott Gordo

On Feb 7, 11:08 am, MattB wrote:
Gman wrote:
I've been running Pearl Izumis for a while, but I'd like to
go baggy.

I tried to run nylon shorts (swim trunks w/ liner cut out)
over the Pearls, but things bunch up uncomfortably. I used
to be able to get away with that, but no more.

Is there a decent baggy w/ liner that's suitable for long
periods in the saddle w/o bunching?

I have a couple of pairs of Oakleys that work well. Two different
models, one longer than the other. The only problem is on really hot
days they are too warm even with the vents open. On those days I try and
ride lycra instead. A bonus is pockets for stuff I like to have handy
without having to take off my pack.

Matt

I don't know where the Oakley pockets are, but I've had a couple pairs
of Sugois and Swobos with 'cargo' pockets on the sides. They're good
for a Powerbar or something, but having stuff swing around in your
pockets while pedalling gets pretty annoying. And, in case you biff,
don't put your keys or cell phone in there. The shorts' durable nylon
shells also made them uncomfortably hot.

/s