Using chain tool. Pls help

Old November 23rd 08, 12:50 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
bolo

Default Using chain tool. Pls help

Disconnecting the chain you can push any pin or only the one that look
different like the rest? All pins are silver one is black.
thanks

Old November 23rd 08, 02:31 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
M. Halliwell

bolo wrote:
Disconnecting the chain you can push any pin or only the one that look
different like the rest? All pins are silver one is black.
thanks

Hey Bolo,

I'm assuming that you're dealing with a Shimano chain based on the chain
tool and master (single one that is different) pin. You can replace any
pin on the chain once except the master, which should not be removed.

Hope it helps,

Michael
Old November 23rd 08, 06:30 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
bolo

I'm assuming that you're dealing with a Shimano chain based on the chain
tool and master (single one that is different) pin. You can replace any
pin on the chain once except the master, which should not be removed.

Thanks,
The master? Is taht the black pin?

Old November 23rd 08, 05:18 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
M. Halliwell

bolo wrote:
I'm assuming that you're dealing with a Shimano chain based on the chain
tool and master (single one that is different) pin. You can replace any
pin on the chain once except the master, which should not be removed.

Thanks,
The master? Is taht the black pin?

If there is one different pin (typically dark grey or black with a flat
head), then yes, that one is the master.
Old November 28th 08, 03:28 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ken[_5_]

If there is one different pin (typically dark grey or black with a flat
head), then yes, that one is the master.

Im curious, why do they have a master pin, what reason?

Old November 29th 08, 06:25 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
M. Halliwell

Ken wrote:
If there is one different pin (typically dark grey or black with a flat
head), then yes, that one is the master.

Im curious, why do they have a master pin, what reason?

I believe it has to do with how they are manufactured (and folks can
correct me if I'm wrong). Unless I'm way off base, the chains
themselves are continuously made using pins. When they get broken to
make individual chains, they are put back together via a rivet (the
master pin). I suspect that the rivet is a bugger to get out with a
chain tool and would likely make a mess of things for when you came to
putting the chain back together.

Why I carry a chain tool Mike Jacoubowsky General 11 June 17th 08 12:40 AM
Chain Tool 101 Peter Clinch UK 0 July 3rd 06 09:40 AM
Chain tool recommendation? DougA Techniques 10 September 1st 04 03:12 PM
Ten speed chain tool Pete Beall Techniques 7 January 19th 04 09:08 PM
Always carry your chain tool Just zis Guy, you know? UK 11 October 17th 03 05:06 PM