Triathlon shorts are unicycle shorts

Old October 1st 08, 07:45 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

Default Triathlon shorts are unicycle shorts

The local triathlon shop had an end of season sale on their clothing so
I decided to try a pair of triathlon swim/bike/run shorts as unicycling
shorts. Triathlon cycling shorts have a thinner quick drying pad. They
are also cut differently since they have to be comfortable and
functional during the swim and run. All that is a big plus for
unicycling comfort.

I got the Pearl Izumi 'Tri Shorts' (http://tinyurl.com/4867vy). MSRP
is $55 compared to $50 - $120 for their regular cycling shorts.

The Tri Shorts are very nice for muni and freestyle. The thin pad
moves with you. No chafing or uncomfortable seams. You can spread
Chamois Butt'r on the pad and it stays comfortable. I haven't tried
them for Coker riding yet.

Another nice advantage is that the shorts and pad dry very quickly.
Wash them in the evening, hang them up, and they're dry by morning.

Who'd of thunk that triathlon shorts would work so well for unicycling.
They're my new favorite shorts.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni
'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/3d57bn) :: 'Unicycling Bookmark List'
(http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) :: 'World Clock'
(http://tinyurl.com/2blym3)
Old October 1st 08, 12:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steveyo

Thanks, John. I'll try them next time I buy a pair of riding shorts.

--
steveyo

steveyo
...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

- a few 'uni race write-ups'
(http://home.nycap.rr.com/rduhan/uni_race_writeups/)
- muni and kokopelli uni 't-shirts, mugs and stickers'
(http://www.cafepress.com/steveyo)
Old October 1st 08, 03:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniSano

I'm sure Tri shorts and these type of cycling shorts are very
comfortable, but I'd feel like I'm riding around in just boxer-briefs!
I guess you could throw some shorts over them? That's why I prefer more
of the "baggy" cargo type mountain biking shorts like:
http://tinyurl.com/3hh2wz

My litmus test is always this:
If my bike/unicycle breaks down in the middle of nowhere and I have to
either hitch a ride home or go to some stranger's house to ask to use
the phone or obtain assistance, would I want to look like (to the
unitiated) I'm walking around in underwear?

Nothing personal just my personal preference. I'm not sure when it was
that road cycling attire became the de-facto off-road attire as well?
When I was mountain biking heavily in my past it was always cargo shorts
and t-shirts. Now everybody looks like they have some "super power."
(they're dressed like some mishappen super hero...)
Sorry for the thread-jack...

--
MuniSano
Old October 1st 08, 06:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Doug

I've bought some tri shorts from Hammer Nutrition. They've been
reasonably priced.

www.hammernutrition.com

My style of muni has abrasion tested these shorts on a regular basis.
They stand up well.

--
Doug

Ride like you stole it!
Old October 1st 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munirocks

My favorites are these:

http://tinyurl.com/4v9ejc

They are very expensive but they're the best I ever tried.

--
munirocks

mono for bono
Old October 2nd 08, 12:56 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

MuniSano;1105689 wrote:
I'm sure Tri shorts and these type of cycling shorts are very
comfortable, but I'd feel like I'm riding around in just boxer-briefs!
I guess you could throw some shorts over them? That's why I prefer more
of the "baggy" cargo type mountain biking shorts like:
http://tinyurl.com/3hh2wz

I wear a loose outer short over the cycling shorts. Partly for style
and partly to protect the cycling shorts from rips and abrasions when I
fall.

Old October 2nd 08, 02:06 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
lunicycle

The best knicks I've found so far for unicycling are from Cannibal:
http://www.cannibal.com.au

Unlike bike shorts and other knicks I have that feel like a huge
abrasive wedge in your crotch, the pad/chamois in the Cannibal is super
comfortable over long uni rides. The outer parts of the pad where
chafing usually happens is quite thin, soft edged and elastic - works
great, feels great! The fit of the knicks overall is great also
http://tinyurl.com/4msnhr

I usually wear light shorts over knicks, handy to have pockets on long
muni rides for maps etc and seems to add comfort, bit of
style/modesty/groove there too I guess. Cost-wise the Cannibal's aren't
the cheapest, but worth it imo. I did a 5 1/2 hour muni ride yesterday
and my crotch feels brand new today

--
lunicycle