Which side of the road?

Old November 10th 05, 02:14 AM
bradygreenawalt

Default Which side of the road?

Now I live sorta out in the country, but alot of cars go by on my road,
and they go very fast. The thing Im wondering is what side of the road
should you usualy ride on when on a unicycle? I know how it works for a
bicycle, but how should you do it on a unicyle. I usualy just ride on
the oppisite side as the cars, then i go to the other side when I see a
car coming, is this the best way to do it? How do you all do it?

Thanks

--
bradygreenawalt
bradygreenawalt's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10891

Old November 10th 05, 02:30 AM
MrBoogiejuice

Ride on the same side as the traffic, in your case the right. You don't
really want to be changing from one side to the other risking being hit
by cars coming from both directions. It can be unnerving having cars
coming by from behind you but you're such a novelty cars will usually
slow down and give you quite a wide berth.

--
MrBoogiejuice

Cars suck.
Ride a unicycle.
Be happy.

Make crumbs not War!
MrBoogiejuice's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5515

Old November 10th 05, 02:32 AM
wheeliemaster

I have always prefered to ride my bicycle on the opposite side, so I can
see what is coming at me. I think by law, if you are on a bicycle, you
are supposed to ride with traffic but I never did. I don't think the
law says anything about unicycles. I'm not good enough yet to ride my
uni on the road with cars anyway!

--
wheeliemaster
wheeliemaster's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10962

Old November 10th 05, 05:08 AM
tholub

Riding your bike or unicycle the wrong way is a good way to get yourself
killed. It also is reasonably likely to cause problems for other
bicycles or unicyclists. Ride with traffic if you're going above
walking speed.

--
tholub

Old November 10th 05, 06:14 AM
Gilby

If you are cruising on a Coker or 28", then follow the bike rules (same
side as traffic). If you are on a 20" or 24" then you may want to
follow the pedestrian rules since you are within running speed.

--
Gilby
Gilby's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1

Old November 10th 05, 05:40 PM
Mikefule

If you act like a cyclist, you'll be treated like a cyclist.

If you act like a pedestrian, you'll be treated like a pedestrian.

On the whole.

Country lanes, 28 inch wheel or Coker, ride with the traffic.

If things are so hairy you can't ridse with the traffic, unicycle
somewhere else.

If you have an accident, not only will you get hurt or killed, but
there is going to be a strong assumption that a unicycle has no place
on the highway - whatever the law of your country or state says.

--
Mikefule

"It is incredible, Lucilius, how easily even great men can be carried
away from the truth by the sheer pleasure of holding forth on a
subject." Seneca)

"It's a fair cop." Mikefule.

Old November 10th 05, 08:49 PM
Skippii

Virginia defines Bicycles as 2 or more wheels in tandem, but the cops
around here tell me to follow bicycle laws, although they've hinted
that their preference is for me to walk the unicycle.
My preference is to ride in the middle of the road, thus avoiding the
lean from the crown of the road, but this isn't always practical.
Since I can't yet freemount my 6' giraffe, I don't like riding it in
the streets anway as I tend to UPD at red lights--if I stop for them,
which is rare.
Basically, I say sidewalks all the way, and avoid the cops.
Besides, You can listen to mp3 players/earphones on sidewalks, but not
roads.
The main roads around here are 1-way, so in those cases, I almost
always go in the direction of traffic.

--
Skippii

One for the Road: Harrisonburg's Unicycle gang.
Skippii's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7822

Old November 10th 05, 11:03 PM
johnfoss

My rule of thumb is that, when in doubt, follow the rules for bikes.

There are multiple reasons to ride with traffic, not against.

- You don't need to see the traffic; they need to see you. If you think
they can't (or won't), get the hell off the road; it doesn't matter
which side you're on! Riding facing traffic is not going to help you
detect a driver that doesn't notice you. You shouldn't be in their path
in the first place.

- If you're going fast, impact will be greatly lessened if you're going
with traffic.

- NOT OFTEN CONSIDERED: If you're going against traffic, you are very
likely to be hit at driveways or intersections. Nobody is going to be
looking for you approaching from the non-traffic side.

- If you don't feel comfortable riding in the road, don't. If you
aren't confident in your abilities, including the ability to *not* have
the unicycle shoot out into traffic, don't.

- If there's a sidewalk and you feel you are in the above category, use
that.

- If there isn't a shoulder area or bike lane, ride with extreme
caution. I use a mirror for commuting. It attaches to a pair of
sunglasses.

--
johnfoss

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

Old November 10th 05, 11:10 PM
Skippii

Good post. You are much more sensible than I.

Old November 11th 05, 12:33 AM
subsonic87

Skippii wrote:
Good post. You are much more sensible than I.

And that's why he's John Foss .

--
subsonic87
subsonic87's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11153