Unicycle articles (but wait there's more...)

Old June 17th 05, 02:30 PM
JJuggle

Default Unicycle articles (but wait there's more...)

U. MARYLAND: INTERVIEW: VICTOR WOOTEN'S FURIOUS FINGERS DO THE TALKING

689 words
U-Wire
English
(c) 2005 U-Wire. All Rights Reserved.

U-WIRE-06/16/2005-U. Maryland: INTERVIEW: Victor Wooten's furious
fingers do the talking (C) 2003 The Diamondback Via U-WIRE

By Marc Shapiro, The Diamondback (U. Maryland)

COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- Bass players are not normally credited with being

bandleaders; they lurk in the dark bowels of the stage, silently
standing next to drummers, forgotten in the shadows of frontmen and lead
guitarists. It takes an eight-armed monster like Victor Wooten to break
the stereotype.

On his latest album, "Soul Circus," Wooten unveils his darkest secret:
his baffling bass-playing ability is made possible because he is an
octopod. The album title also accurately depicts the musical madness
that is the Victor Wooten Band.

"Our act is kind of like a circus because there's so many strong people
and everybody is like a leader. Everyone could have their own band,"
says Wooten. "It's like you're seeing a bunch of different circus acts
... Everybody gets a chance to be the ringleader."

The only three-time winner of Bass Player Magazine's Bass Player of the
Year Award and winner of two Nashville Music Awards for Bassist of the
Year also has nine albums under his belt with Grammy-winning jazz
quartet Bela Fleck and The Flecktones. Released in April, Wooten's fifth
solo album, Soul Circus, is a musical journey that incorporates a grab
bag of genres including jazz, funk, rap, soul, R&B and rock.

"The album is not all about bass," says Wooten. "The album is about
music. It's about life. I just happen to be a bass player."

Wooten's life took a rough turn on Christmas 2003 with the passing of
his father. Reflecting on his father's life, he composed "Prayer," a
mellow tune with a funky chorus.

"We could all use a little extra prayer," Wooten sings. "Say a prayer
for me and I'll say a prayer for you."

"Bass Tribute," overflowing with guest vocals from bassists such as
Bootsy Collins, Christian McBride, Gary Grainger and Oteil Burbridge, is
Wooten's salute to his influences.

"The electric bass is such a young instrument, 60 years old or something
like that, which means the people who made it what it really is, most of
them are still walking around," says Wooten. "So why not tell them,
'Thank you'?"

Saundra Williams, a vocalist and the latest addition to Wooten's band,
showcases her pipes on the soulfully constructed "On and On."

"Saundra came by [the studio] and blew me away," recalls Wooten. "I sent
her the track and said, 'See what you can do with this.'"

After adding Williams' vocals to song after song, it became apparent to
Wooten that performing without her would be impossible; she became part
of his touring band.

The band literally takes the circus on the road -- some elements of an

actual circus have become part of the band's shows. At a May performance
in Chillicothe, Ill., concert-goers were treated to trapeze artists,
juggling acts and a magic trick by Wooten. At any given moment, Anthony
Wellington, Wooten and MC Divinity could go into a bass jam, trading
riffs with each other, or Wooten's brothers Regi and Joseph.

\"SOME PEOPLE MAY CATCH ME RIDING A UNICYCLE OR ANYTHING,\" SAYS WOOTEN.
\"YOU NEVER KNOW.\"

With Bela Fleck and The Flecktones off this year, Wooten has embarked on
his largest solo tour to date in support of the new album.

"I wanna be the biggest, best musician that I can be and reach as many
people [as possible]," says Wooten. "My goal with this was to try to
broaden my audience; make an album that musicians would love and get a
lot out of, but the laymen, the person who knows nothing about music,
will enjoy and get something out of it, too."

But Flecktones fans can rest easy -- the band will reunite for a tour

in January and release an already-recorded album of new material in
early 2006.

--
JJuggle - I just thank God I'm an atheist.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

Our choices they were few so the thought never hit,
that the one road we traveled would ever shatter or split.
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24