The bus 'came from nowhere'

Old May 3rd 15, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

Default The bus 'came from nowhere'

No, it didn't.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...iding-him.html
Old May 3rd 15, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
No, it didn't.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...iding-him.html

Mr Stern said: 'I was cycling along, going down that main road, and it is a
bit of a nightmare. The road is fast and dangerous".
"riding quite fast".

WTF?

Old May 3rd 15, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_4_]

On 03/05/2015 12:03, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
No, it didn't.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...iding-him.html

Mr Stern said: 'I was cycling along, going down that main road, and it is a
bit of a nightmare. The road is fast and dangerous".
"riding quite fast".

WTF?

"in the middle of the road, riding quite fast, I was where I was
supposed to be."

That old chestnut "taking the lane" again.

If he was 'where he was supposed to be' he would have been in the gutter.

Old May 3rd 15, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_4_]

On 03/05/2015 10:56, Mrcheerful wrote:
No, it didn't.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...iding-him.html

13 metres long, 3:6 metres tall, painted in orange, blue and white - and
he didn't see it?

Old May 3rd 15, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 03/05/2015 10:56, Mrcheerful wrote:

No, it didn't.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...iding-him.html

QUOTE:
Mr Stern said: 'I was cycling along, going down that main road, and it
is a bit of a nightmare. The road is fast and dangerous.
ENDQUOTE

Well, the cyclist was certainly fast, and arguably dangerous in that he
failed to anticipate danger and failed to consuider what the scene
looked like to the bus-driver.

From time to time, bicycles will not register in the field of vision of
a driver, especially the driver of a large vehicle like a bus whose view
of the road to the left doesn't even start until six or seven feet away
to his left and is partly obscured by the superstructure of the vehicle.

I understand that when I'm driving a car, and always cut some slack for
a vehicle like that bus in a position like that junction. How much more
important it is for a cyclist not to stand on what he imagines are his
"rights".

Cyclists: sometimes, other road-users won't see you. Get over it and
make allowances.

Old May 3rd 15, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 03/05/2015 12:03, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
No, it didn't.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...iding-him.html

Mr Stern said: 'I was cycling along, going down that main road, and it is a
bit of a nightmare. The road is fast and dangerous".
"riding quite fast".

WTF?

And further QUOTE:
"Ric Stern was enjoying a leisurely ride".
ENDQUOTE

If that was "leisure", it must be tiring just to look at him when he'd
pedalling hard.
Old May 4th 15, 01:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Sunday, May 3, 2015 at 1:51:46 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:

If that was "leisure", it must be tiring just to look at him when he'd
pedalling hard.

Not everyone is as fat and slothful as you.
Some of us like to exercise.

The beauty of cycling is you can travel and exercise at the same time.

Old May 4th 15, 08:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

JNugent wrote:

If that was "leisure", it must be tiring just to look at him when he'd
pedalling hard.

Not everyone is as fat and slothful as you.
Some of us like to exercise.
The beauty of cycling is you can travel and exercise at the same time.

But you can't take the quoted "leisurely ride" and be moving at nearly
the same speed as the traffic at the same time (and no doubt smelling
like a badger into the bargain).
Old May 4th 15, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tarcap

"Simon Jester" wrote in message

On Sunday, May 3, 2015 at 1:51:46 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:

If that was "leisure", it must be tiring just to look at him when he'd
pedalling hard.

Not everyone is as fat and slothful as you.
Some of us like to exercise.

Do you have any evidence to back up your claim?
Or did you just make it up?
Thought so.