Ti frame / Ti Seatpin

Old January 27th 05, 02:13 PM
marco007esq

Default Ti frame / Ti Seatpin

I have read some places that using a ti seatpin with a ti frame is a
bad idea, since the two pieces of titanium will have a tendency to
bond. But, I would imagine that with proper greasing, this won't
happen.

Anyone have any insight? Is it risky to use a ti frame with a ti
seatpin? Only risky if you have poor frame hygeine? Any thoughts at
all?

Old January 27th 05, 03:58 PM
Dave Thompson

marco007esq wrote:
I have read some places that using a ti seatpin with a ti frame is a
bad idea, since the two pieces of titanium will have a tendency to
bond. But, I would imagine that with proper greasing, this won't
happen.

Anyone have any insight? Is it risky to use a ti frame with a ti
seatpin? Only risky if you have poor frame hygeine? Any thoughts at
all?

If you don't remove your seat posts often, use a good grade of anti-seize
such as Ti-Prep liberally. I remove my seat posts once a month or so, and
have used grease to keep everything oh-so-smooth.

Old January 27th 05, 04:06 PM
Marty Wallace

marco007esq wrote:
I have read some places that using a ti seatpin with a ti frame is a
bad idea, since the two pieces of titanium will have a tendency to
bond. But, I would imagine that with proper greasing, this won't
happen.

Anyone have any insight? Is it risky to use a ti frame with a ti
seatpin? Only risky if you have poor frame hygeine? Any thoughts at
all?

I have three ti frames, all with ti seatposts, ti head steams and ti
handlebars. I haven't encountered any problems at all.

Try asking Mark Hickey of Habenaro Bikes, he should be able to help you.

Marty
Old January 28th 05, 01:59 AM
Mark Hickey

"Dave Thompson" wrote:

marco007esq wrote:
I have read some places that using a ti seatpin with a ti frame is a
bad idea, since the two pieces of titanium will have a tendency to
bond. But, I would imagine that with proper greasing, this won't
happen.

Anyone have any insight? Is it risky to use a ti frame with a ti
seatpin? Only risky if you have poor frame hygeine? Any thoughts at
all?

If you don't remove your seat posts often, use a good grade of anti-seize
such as Ti-Prep liberally. I remove my seat posts once a month or so, and
have used grease to keep everything oh-so-smooth.

What he said. Normally anti-seize is used when you have a
high-pressure ti-to-ti contact (like a ti bolt in a ti boss). But for
a seat post that's taken out at least occasionally I'd just use
grease. If OTOH the post may be left in for (literally) years at a
time without adjustment, anti-seize wouldn't be a bad idea.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old January 28th 05, 12:52 PM
marco007esq

What he said. Normally anti-seize is used when you have a
high-pressure ti-to-ti contact (like a ti bolt in a ti boss). But

for
a seat post that's taken out at least occasionally I'd just use
grease. If OTOH the post may be left in for (literally) years at a
time without adjustment, anti-seize wouldn't be a bad idea.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

I doubt that I could ask for a better authority on the subject than
Mark Hickey. Thank you!

Old January 28th 05, 01:38 PM
Mark Hickey

"marco007esq" wrote:

What he said. Normally anti-seize is used when you have a
high-pressure ti-to-ti contact (like a ti bolt in a ti boss). But

for
a seat post that's taken out at least occasionally I'd just use
grease. If OTOH the post may be left in for (literally) years at a
time without adjustment, anti-seize wouldn't be a bad idea.

I doubt that I could ask for a better authority on the subject than
Mark Hickey. Thank you!

There are probably dozens of people on this news group who have more
metallurgical knowledge than I do. All I have is about ten years of
anecdotal evidence. ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Frame fit: which is more important - Frame height vs. top tube length? S o r n i Techniques 18 July 9th 04 07:17 AM
Resistance Trainer: Am I wrecking my frame??? JayofMontreal Techniques 36 November 6th 03 09:31 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Dent in frame Neil Guthrie Mountain Biking 6 July 22nd 03 05:06 PM