Handlebar bag suggestions

Old October 30th 09, 01:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter

Default Handlebar bag suggestions

I have a Den Haag handlebar bag which mounts on the handlebars but sits
so high I can't put my Ayup lights on the bars. It also has a dicky
plastic mount that doesn't handle the weight in the bag very well over a
long distance and begins to tilt forward.

I'm wondering whether there is an alternative handlebar bag available
that sits below the handlebars. It would be great if it had a very
secure mounting system so it doesn't suffer when riding on dirt/rough
bitumen. Preferably one with a clear plastic map pocket on top too.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Peter
Old October 30th 09, 02:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 11:42:38 +1000, Peter wrote:

I have a Den Haag handlebar bag which mounts on the handlebars but sits
so high I can't put my Ayup lights on the bars. It also has a dicky
plastic mount that doesn't handle the weight in the bag very well over a
long distance and begins to tilt forward.

I'm wondering whether there is an alternative handlebar bag available
that sits below the handlebars. It would be great if it had a very
secure mounting system so it doesn't suffer when riding on dirt/rough
bitumen. Preferably one with a clear plastic map pocket on top too.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Only one of the four(?) handlebar bags I've ever had would match your
need and that was a Karrimor bag I purchased in the 70's. It was a nice
little bag and I still have it except the plastic needs replacement and
the seams were not overlocked and threads kept getting caught in the
zippers.

You have three problems;

1) Any handlebar mount that just grips the handlebars is not going to
carry anything more than a plastic cards and a energy bar for long. You
need a bag with a convoluted rod that wraps around the headstem and them
comes over the handlebars to support the bag. Not fool proof especially
if you tend to cart a few bricks in it, but you should get ten years out
of a good one.

2-A) Wanting the light on the handlbars. Can you move it? Stick it on
the front of the front rack (mudguard?), otherwise IME you are
restricting bag choice greatly.

2-B) Have you considered a rack top bag?

3) I've had clear plastic tops on Karrimoor(built in), Bell (3 stud
pocket), ????(clear top?) and now the Campro.

The campro is a LBS cheapo (same $ as ebay for den haag), with a A4 size
plastic bag sewn into the back top seam that you fold up and tuck under a
1" piece of elastic. The bag was thin and went crispy relatively fast.
Also fails comment one (I've already replaced plastic mounting grips) and
need for light on handlebar.

Old October 30th 09, 03:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 30 Oct 2009 11:42:38 +1000
Peter wrote:

I'm wondering whether there is an alternative handlebar bag available
that sits below the handlebars. It would be great if it had a very
secure mounting system so it doesn't suffer when riding on dirt/rough
bitumen. Preferably one with a clear plastic map pocket on top too.

Arkel?

http://www.thebikebiz.com/Arkel_Hand...-bag-ark01.htm
although it doesn't sit below unless you do this:
http://mgagnon.net/velo/potence-double.fr.shtml

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-408644.html has other
suggestions.

the Arkel website seems to be down at the moment.

Zebee
Old October 30th 09, 03:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter

I knew I had seen something with a frame in the past. Karrimor was it.
Are they still around?

Peter
Old October 30th 09, 03:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter

Peter wrote:

Arkel?

http://www.thebikebiz.com/Arkel_Hand...-bag-ark01.htm
although it doesn't sit below unless you do this:
http://mgagnon.net/velo/potence-double.fr.shtml

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-408644.html has other
suggestions.

the Arkel website seems to be down at the moment.

Zebee

Thanks Zebee. The stem mount may even work with my current bag. I'll
check out bikeforums when I get home tonight.

Peter
Old October 30th 09, 07:43 PM posted to aus.bicycle
John Henderson

Peter wrote:

I knew I had seen something with a frame in the past. Karrimor was it.
Are they still around?

Yes, but they seem to have moved on from the bicycle luggage
business: www.karrimor.com

More's the pity - I still use Karrimor panniers I bought decades
ago.

John
Old October 31st 09, 06:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter

terryc wrote:

[...]

I have the light mounted on the front of my front rack at the moment,
but it's a bit annoying. You can't see the front of the wheel, which
makes for some interesting moments riding in a group. It's also hard to
adjust while riding.

2-B) Have you considered a rack top bag?

That's what I'm thinking would be the idea. I've done some googling and
found the Ostrich bag with a Nitto M12 looks like a good setup, but the
price is quite high for a simple bag (about $220 or so for the rack &
bag plus freight).

3) I've had clear plastic tops on Karrimoor(built in), Bell (3 stud
pocket), ????(clear top?) and now the Campro.

The campro is a LBS cheapo (same $ as ebay for den haag), with a A4 size
plastic bag sewn into the back top seam that you fold up and tuck under a
1" piece of elastic. The bag was thin and went crispy relatively fast.
Also fails comment one (I've already replaced plastic mounting grips) and
need for light on handlebar.

Doesn't sound like what I want.
Old October 31st 09, 08:09 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Jack Russell

Rather than a rack top bag why no a saddlebag, I use a Carradice but
Brooks do one and there are some nice French ones.

--
Remove norubbish to reply
Old October 31st 09, 09:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter

Jack Russell wrote:

Rather than a rack top bag why no a saddlebag, I use a Carradice but
Brooks do one and there are some nice French ones.

I like the idea of being able to see what's in the bag while riding and
and having a map pocket in front of me.