Wire strung across "cycle route"

Old August 6th 03, 07:51 PM
Colin

Default Wire strung across "cycle route"

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned this article yet
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...et/3127389.stm), about a
13 year old riding into a piece of wire strung across a cycle route at neck
height. The police are treating it as a serious attempt "to maim a rider",
it seems.

Colin

--
cycling AT spiralpathways DOT co DOT uk

Old August 6th 03, 08:38 PM
Doesnotcompute

Colin wrote:
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned this article yet
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...et/3127389.stm), about a
13 year old riding into a piece of wire strung across a cycle route at neck
height. The police are treating it as a serious attempt "to maim a rider",
it seems.

quote:
Police believe it was strung at cyclist's neck height - three feet above
the ground - in an attempt to seriously hurt someone.
endquote.

3 feet?
That's a metre right?
Neck height for who?

--
Dnc

Old August 6th 03, 08:42 PM
Richard Bates

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 20:38:21 +0100, Doesnotcompute
in
wrote:

3 feet?
That's a metre right?
Neck height for who?

A recumbenteer!
--
If ingnorance is bliss then I am the erm er
luckiest thingy in the whatchamacallit.
Old August 6th 03, 08:45 PM
Doesnotcompute

Richard Bates wrote:
On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 20:38:21 +0100, Doesnotcompute
in
wrote:

3 feet?
That's a metre right?
Neck height for who?

A recumbenteer!

ah yes of course. silly me.

--
Dnc

Old August 6th 03, 09:22 PM
Nick Kew

In article , one of infinite monkeys
at the keyboard of Richard Bates wrote:
A few nights ago I was caught out by two teenage lads *pretending* to
unwind some thread across the road. I slowed down until they laughed
at me. After I had passed them I felt like doing a U-turn and doing a
"cycle-by-shooting" of the nasal kind.

But I refrained: Afterall they may use some *real* nylon thread next
time.

As an early-teenager, I was on my granny's bike when I was felled by a
twine across the road. Some kiddies were playing tennis or something
across it! I gave them a good ticking off: took my cue from the bike's
ownership to say *I* was OK, but just think if it had been some little
old lady!

--
Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars?
Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5, Germany 0.8
Old August 7th 03, 12:34 AM
Dave

"doobrie" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned this article yet
(
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...et/3127389.stm), about

13 year old riding into a piece of wire strung across a cycle route at

neck
height. The police are treating it as a serious attempt "to maim a

rider",
it seems.

Colin

thats sickening isnt it ... forget maiming, could easily have been
decapitation

Absolutely....attempted murder by any other name!!
'course, it's appeared in the local rag tonight, with record distribution
figures for local rags, so guess what the little darlings round these 'ere
parts are going to be doing for the remainder of the school hols ;-)
Dave (wearing a neck brace for the next 3.5 weeks, just in case.)

Old August 7th 03, 09:27 AM
Tony W

"Doesnotcompute" wrote in message

quote:
Police believe it was strung at cyclist's neck height - three feet above
the ground - in an attempt to seriously hurt someone.
endquote.

3 feet?
That's a metre right?
Neck height for who?

Another danger of riding on the dark side?

Old August 7th 03, 10:45 AM
Dave Larrington

Some of the local oiks did this with the hazard tape we had placed across
the entrances to the Hetton-Lyons circuit during a BHPC race a few years
ago. Fortunately it's very stretchy, as I discovered when it tried to
remove my head, and they did it at the top of the hill so I wasn't going
very fast.

We don't go there any more.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old August 7th 03, 10:46 AM
Colin Davidson

"Tony Raven" wrote in message

Equally bad is http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...de/3129249.stm

Ouch. Why is such reckless criminal behaviour treated so softly?

Old August 7th 03, 12:43 PM
lardy ninja

Gonzalez wrote in message . ..
Tony Raven wrote:

Equally bad is http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...de/3129249.stm

I don't believe it. Kill someone and you don't even go to gaol.

That's because cyclists don't count as real people. There does seem to
be a get-out-jail-free card hidden inside every car which shows just
how blind justice isn't.

LN