Considering new high end carbon frames

Old December 30th 04, 01:42 AM
Chris Cumo

Default Considering new high end carbon frames

I currently ride a Merckx Corsa 01 steel framed beauty, but my eyes have
been wondering to the new carbon frames I'm seeing on the road everywhere.

I am very interested in the Kuota and Wilier Italian bikes. Does anyone
have experience with either of these makes? I'm 195 lbs and 5'9" tall. I'm
not a racer, but a very dedicated enthusiat who this year started working
with a cycling coach (lost 20lbs since I started). Obviously, carbon is
very strong, but I am concerned about durability of these ultra light frames
given my size.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

CC

Old December 30th 04, 07:02 AM
Kenny

Chris Cumo wrote:
I currently ride a Merckx Corsa 01 steel framed beauty, but my eyes have
been wondering to the new carbon frames I'm seeing on the road everywhere.

I am very interested in the Kuota and Wilier Italian bikes. Does anyone
have experience with either of these makes? I'm 195 lbs and 5'9" tall. I'm
not a racer, but a very dedicated enthusiat who this year started working
with a cycling coach (lost 20lbs since I started). Obviously, carbon is
very strong, but I am concerned about durability of these ultra light frames
given my size.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

CC

I've got my eye on the Eddy Merkx AXM. To me it looks real fast and
sexy. Only drawback I can tell is that it has a funny seat tube diameter.

Kenny
Old December 30th 04, 04:09 PM
jim beam

Chris Cumo wrote:
I currently ride a Merckx Corsa 01 steel framed beauty, but my eyes have
been wondering to the new carbon frames I'm seeing on the road everywhere.

I am very interested in the Kuota and Wilier Italian bikes. Does anyone
have experience with either of these makes? I'm 195 lbs and 5'9" tall. I'm
not a racer, but a very dedicated enthusiat who this year started working
with a cycling coach (lost 20lbs since I started). Obviously, carbon is
very strong, but I am concerned about durability of these ultra light frames
given my size.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

CC

carbon composites generally have much better fatigue properties than
aluminum and a lot of steel, so in that respect, you have nothing to
worry about. the only real concern for carbon is the execution of
manufacture. in that regard, i'd select a frame from a company with
significant production volume & historical track record rather than
someone recently arrived on the scene. trek, look & giant come to mind.

Old December 30th 04, 04:13 PM

Aegis Calfee and Kestrel (though the last is less leading edge by the
year)

Old December 30th 04, 05:01 PM
richard

I believe Magnus Backstedt had some frames break on him this past year.
There's a difference between a pro (break it and throw it away - the
sponsors will give me a new one) and it being your $2000+ that snaps.

Old December 30th 04, 05:03 PM

My Kestrel is one of the last Japanese built MTB frames (circa 93 I
think) and though I love it I would not recomend one over any of the
others mentioned..

when last I looked both Calfee (http://www.calfeedesign.com) and Aegis
(http://www.aegisbicycles.com) were producing more than Look but
nothing close to Giant and Trek.

That being said Calfee offers custom frame sizing and that is often a
very desireable option.

Old December 30th 04, 05:29 PM
jim beam

My Kestrel is one of the last Japanese built MTB frames (circa 93 I
think) and though I love it I would not recomend one over any of the
others mentioned..

when last I looked both Calfee (
http://www.calfeedesign.com) and Aegis
(http://www.aegisbicycles.com) were producing more than Look but
nothing close to Giant and Trek.

sure, but look have time/experience on their side.

Old December 30th 04, 05:30 PM

Chris Cumo wrote:
I currently ride a Merckx Corsa 01 steel framed beauty, but my eyes

have
been wondering to the new carbon frames I'm seeing on the road

everywhere.

I am very interested in the Kuota and Wilier Italian bikes. Does

anyone
have experience with either of these makes? I'm 195 lbs and 5'9"

tall. I'm
not a racer, but a very dedicated enthusiat who this year started

working
with a cycling coach (lost 20lbs since I started). Obviously, carbon

is
very strong, but I am concerned about durability of these ultra light

frames
given my size.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

CC

I am about the same weight as you and bought a LOOK KG486 this year. It
is not the lightest carbon frame but any strengh issues shouldn't
concern you and the ride is great.

Old December 30th 04, 05:41 PM

You should take a look through the Aegis site their "history" page is
interesting..

again I'm not recomending one over the other but but I don't think you
can discount aegis based on time/experience...