Considering new high end carbon frames

Old January 8th 05, 06:39 PM
Ted

Jee Doy wrote:

I asked Calfee about the type of carbon they use on their bikes. Their higher
end bikes use Boron, a material that is used in military applications and thus
cannot be distributed outside of the USA. Thus carbon bikes that are made in
Taiwan or elsewhere, do not have this Boron material.

Boron is an element, just as carbon is. The notion that it exists only
in the USA is laughable.

--
Ted Bennett
Portland, OR
Old January 8th 05, 11:50 PM
Matt O'Toole

Ted wrote:

Boron is an element, just as carbon is. The notion that it exists
only in the USA is laughable.

This may not be the case with boron fiber as an engineered material and
manufactured product.

Matt O.

Old January 9th 05, 12:14 AM

I recommend that you go with a company that has a good warranty. I
recomend either the Trek or Calfee frames or possibly the Kestrel. Some
of the other frames such as Colnago's or Look frames are nice, but they
only have a 3 or 5 year warranty and they are expensive as well.
Personally I like the Calfee's since they are the only company to offer
a custom composite frame. The Treks are nice, but I have heard reports
that they all develop hairline cracks over time.

Chris Cumo wrote:
I currently ride a Merckx Corsa 01 steel framed beauty, but my eyes

have
been wondering to the new carbon frames I'm seeing on the road

everywhere.

I am very interested in the Kuota and Wilier Italian bikes. Does

anyone
have experience with either of these makes? I'm 195 lbs and 5'9"

tall. I'm
not a racer, but a very dedicated enthusiat who this year started

working
with a cycling coach (lost 20lbs since I started). Obviously, carbon

is
very strong, but I am concerned about durability of these ultra light

frames
given my size.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

CC

Old January 9th 05, 03:02 PM
Michael Warner

On 08 Jan 2005 18:09:59 GMT, Jee Doy wrote:

I asked Calfee about the type of carbon they use on their bikes. Their higher
end bikes use Boron

Boron is so named because it bores fine holes in anything with which it
comes into contact - it's completely untrue that it's because it's usually
mentioned by snobs boring one to tears in conversations about bikes.

Clearly, therefore, it lightens any frame which includes it, but it also
weakens in. But the dimpling effect of all those tiny holes causes an
aero improvement.

--
bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo
Old January 28th 05, 01:58 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

jee- I asked Calfee about the type of carbon they use on their bikes. Their
higher
end bikes use Boron, a material that is used in military applications and thus
cannot be distributed outside of the USA. BRBR

Not quite. The main tubes on the Dragonfly are carbon/boron weave, a similar
material used in the US military aircraft production of things like the B-2.

Boron/carbon combos are common in other countries A/C developement, like in
France. and the UK. Airbus rudders are a good example.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302