Brifters + Canti's - adjustment barrel lacking

Old January 27th 05, 07:00 PM
Sheldon Brown

Bryan wrote:

Neil Brooks wrote:

My Cannondale T2000 tourer has Ultegra brifters and Shimano (probably
BR-550) front canti's. The front pads are wearing. Looked for an
adjusting barrel to take up some slack. I don't have one . . .
anywhere.

Quoting Sheldon (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/canti-trad.html):
"A very few bicycles are actually supplied without adjusting barrels
for the brakes. These are usually bicycles which have frames intended
for use with upright handlebars, but have had drop handlebars
installed as an afterthought. (Brake levers for upright bars usually
contain adjusters; those for drop bars usually don't.) This is not
acceptable, and you should not accept a bicycle which does not have
adjusters; it is a very minor task to install them, for any competent
bicycle shop."

Isn't this a fairly common cyclocross setup? (canti + drops)

"Cantis + drops" is, indeed, the usual setup for cyclocross.

The point I was making is that if the designer and mechanic are
COMPETENT, there WILL be adjusting barrels installed for both brakes.

If there are no adjusting barrels provided, the bike is dangerous and
defective. Nobody should accept such incompetence.

Sheldon "S.O.P." Brown
| "Contrariwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, |
| it might be, and if it were so, it would be; |
| but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic!" |
| --Lewis Carroll, "Through the Looking Glass" |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old January 28th 05, 05:30 AM
A Muzi

Neil Brooks wrote:
My Cannondale T2000 tourer has Ultegra brifters and Shimano (probably
BR-550) front canti's. The front pads are wearing. Looked for an
adjusting barrel to take up some slack. I don't have one . . .
anywhere.

"Bill Sornson" wrote

Bryan wrote:
Isn't this a fairly common cyclocross setup? (canti + drops)

Yes, it is. Inline adjusters have become very standard on
cross bikes.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old January 28th 05, 05:32 AM
A Muzi

Bill Sornson wrote:
JFTR, I did not write anything quoted above.

I'm sorry to have repeatd the attrribution error.
oops.
Old January 28th 05, 06:55 AM
Bill Sornson

A Muzi wrote:
Bill Sornson wrote:
JFTR, I did not write anything quoted above.

I'm sorry to have repeatd the attrribution error.
oops.

I don't believe you DID repeat it, Andrew (not that I can see at least);
just Bryan.

No biggie...