good routes

Old April 25th 12, 02:33 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

Default good routes

As the motorcycle is currently suffering from Japanese Electrics...
I've been using the Brompton and the train.

Figuring that if one has a bicycle one might as well use it, I have
been cycling the 4.5km from Campsie to Strathfield and catching the train from
there rather than taking the Campsie train to Central then changing
for Macquarie Park. The time taken is maybe a bit longer, but the
trip is more fun.

Anyway...

I had a look to see what Canterbury council thought was the right
path to the station and it is close to the one I currently use but
a lot more fiddly. it is a lot more lefts and rights, that is it
isn't as direct.

However... it's a better route home than the one I've been using!

I didn't want to go home via Coronation Pde because it's an uphill
slog on a busy road. I have been going home via Burwood Rd because
the uphill bit on that is in the middle of the shopping area so
eveyrone's slow anyway. The downhill bit has me as fast as the cars.

I decided to give the council route a try homeward bound and was
pleasantly surprised. They really have managed to find a route that
zigzags up the rise to the point I hardly felt I was climbing at all.
Nowhere near as much fun in the downhill direction as the one I use
now, but way more fun in the uphill! Practically car free on most of
it too.

They've signposted it with painted bicycles on the road. I missed
one turn but as I ended up in a culdesac it was obvious. There's only
one dodgy bit where you turn left onto a more travelled (I hesitate to
call it main) road and have to do an immediate right. Plus change
gears. But a confident cyclist who turns left into the middle of the
lane is fine.

If you cycle in Sydney have a look at
http://www.bicycleinfo.nsw.gov.au/ specifically
http://www.bicycleinfo.nsw.gov.au/maps/index.html there may be a
route you don't know about that will make your life easier.

The Brom's an odd little beastie. There have been times I've been
powering uphill at I guess about 80rpm where it feels like it is
motorised. As though I'm putting little to no effort in at all and
it's zooming. NO idea what's going on there!

I'm enjoying the bike/train combo. I just wish there was a ticket for
trains in Sydney that did multiple trips, rather than be limited to
travel for so many days. I could do the same journey by bus but buses
without bus lanes are unreliable as all hell in Sydney before 10am.

More cycling is good, folding bikes mean I can do more cycling.

Zebee