Why is Shimano so hated by some?

Old November 29th 03, 05:42 PM
Ted Bennett

Default Why is Shimano so hated by some?

(Evan Evans) wrote:

let me just paint a black & white picture. The Campy guys love there
bikes ,worship them & enjoy any opportunity to tinker with them. The
Shimano guys say "it works lets go ride".

???

What are you trying to say? That Campy users don't enjoy riding? That
Shimano users don't like to tinker with "there" bikes?

Like most sweeping generalizations, yours shed no light.

--
Ted Bennett
Portland OR
Old November 29th 03, 06:08 PM
Matt O'Toole

"Dana Earl" wrote in message

Gee, and George W. Bush and Dick Cheney aren't on the Board of
Directors. How can that be??

How do you know they're not?

:-)

Matt O.

Old November 29th 03, 06:18 PM
David Reuteler

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
: Tim McNamara wrote:
: Suntour would be
: perhaps the OS/2 of the bicycle world- late and great. ;-)
: And still running a hell of a lot of ATMs throughout the world!

unfortunately not for long. the banks are rolling over to M$ in droves.
god help us when they get there.
--
david reuteler

Old November 29th 03, 06:46 PM
Tim McNamara

(Cary Weitzman) writes:

In article ,
Tim McNamara wrote:

Shimano is like the Microsoft of the bicycle world, the difference
being that Shimano products are reliably good. Campagnolo is the
Apple of the bicycling world- their products arguably work better
and last longer, but there is a premium to be paid.

I think that analogy is somewhat flawed. Unlike Apple, Campagnolo
really hasn't shown much evidence of being an innovator over the
years, often lagging well behind competitors and loosing market
share because of it.

Interestingly, Campy was developing Ergo and field-testing it in the
pro peloton before Shimano was developing STI.

Most of the lost market share was in the mountain bike arena, which
Campy did not pursue competently and soon dropped. This left the
field to Shimano, who wisely leveraged their dominanace in MTB to
include OEM road components. IMHO most of that loss of market share
is from that, and also Shimano's wisdom in knowing how to deal
effectively with the needs of bike manufacturers. The cartridge BBs,
cassette hubs, V-brakes, etc were all designed with the needs of the
manufacturers in mind, not the needs of the consumer.

Basically, Shimano is better at business than Campagnolo. That's
different than making better components. As I said before, though
(and note I am speaking as someone who prefers old Sun Tour, uses
modern Campy and avoids Shimano whenever possible- I really *don't*
like STI), Shimano's stuff is just fine.

What they do do when they finally get it into gear (pun intended) is
take other people's ideas and refine them to a very high degree.

Like slant parallelogram rear derailleurs and indexing (which Shimano
copped from SunTour when the latter's patents expired)?
Old November 29th 03, 06:53 PM
Dave Mayer

"Evan Evans" I've noticed that there are a few
posters who use this as a platform to steer people against the use of
Shimano components. What's wrong with Shimano?

My bikes are mostly a mish-mash of parts from Campagnolo, Sachs, Shimano,
Suntour and even Simplex. And Miche, Ofmega, Gipiemme, Dia-Compe etc. My
stuff all works. I couldn't care less about Shimano being the 900-pound
gorilla. All I care about is whether it is cheap, strong and light.

Like most Japanese-run manufacturers, Shimano's strength is its engineering.
They have a deep commitment to R&D.

What they do especially well a

- Cassette hubs: Best design and implementation ever. Even their mid-range
units (Deore, or Tiagra and up) are as good as anything else out there. No
reason to pay more for a cheap cartridge bearing unit by some machine-tool
disadvantaged, small-fry manufacturer?

- Headsets: Their cartridge bearing design solved a fundamental problem.
No threadless? Ream the threads out.

- Cranksets: The new Dura-Ace crank is brilliant. Their older cold-forged
cranks are solid value. Why pay a bunch of money for a heavy, CNC'd piece
of junk? Looking at cranksets from other makers that have I-beam cross
sections, are painted, or have grooves milled into the arms, it makes you
wonder: do these guys have any engineers on staff??

- Derailleurs: solid value. Even the cheap stuff works well.

However, Shimano falls down is when it acts like a western corporation -
i.e. it is motivated by quarterly profit targets, and is run by marketers
and lawyers. This occurs when it gets pressured into producing something
that does not make sense, specifically some trendy thing that takes off and
Shimano has to respond fast or lose market share. Examples:

- 10-speed. Why??
- Paired spoke wheels. They crossed the spokes from between the rim and the
hub to dodge a ridiculous patent on paired-spokes. A pointless concept.
- The aero stuff from the 80's. Best just forgotten.