Carbon frame or better components?

Old January 4th 05, 11:53 PM

Default Carbon frame or better components?

I'm in the market for a new road racing bike and am looking to spend
around $3k. I've noticed that in this price range you tend to have a
choice between higher end components or a higher end frame. There are
some Trek's in this range with Ultegra components. However, there is a
nice aluminum Cannondale that comes with full Dura-Ace.

Now, I spent the last few years on a Cannondale CAAD7 frame and have no
complaints about aluminum and have not ridden carbon. I'm trying to
figure out if it is worth it to have the better components or the
carbon frame.

Old January 5th 05, 12:10 AM

In article . com,
wrote:
I'm in the market for a new road racing bike and am looking to spend
around $3k. I've noticed that in this price range you tend to have a
choice between higher end components or a higher end frame. There are
some Trek's in this range with Ultegra components. However, there is a
nice aluminum Cannondale that comes with full Dura-Ace.

What kind of racing are you doing? If criterium racing with a lot of
crashes, aluminum might be more durable.
Old January 5th 05, 12:42 AM
Eagle Jackson

As a general rule, I go for the better frame over components.
Components can easily be changed over time as they wear or you feel
like it, but less likely the frame itself.

Old January 5th 05, 01:26 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

I'm in the market for a new road racing bike and am looking to spend
around $3k. I've noticed that in this price range you tend to have a
choice between higher end components or a higher end frame. There are
some Trek's in this range with Ultegra components. However, there is a
nice aluminum Cannondale that comes with full Dura-Ace.

Ride each and see what *you* think. The most important thing a bike can have
isn't a brand label, or a particular tubeset. The most important thing is
that there's something about it that makes you want to get out and ride,
every chance you get. Although I'm highly partial (ok, biased!) towards Trek
OCLV carbon fiber, we have a piece on our website that will help you
evaluate whatever bike you ride-

www.ChainReaction.com/roadbiketestrides.htm

It's one of the few pieces I've written that is entirely brand & material
neutral, and has been helpful to many.

Regarding nicer frame vs components, I'd always recommend the nicer frame,
unless the components are of a very low level. Ultegra components work very
nicely, nothing to apologize for there. Same with Centaur. Below those
groups you might find yourself quickly wishing you'd spent a bit more,
maybe. Or not. But the frame is going to be with you for a very long time,
and the combination of materials choice (and how it's used) and fit is
something that will be a much bigger factor in ride enjoyment than whether
you have a DuraAce or Ultegra shift lever.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

ups.com...

Old January 5th 05, 03:55 AM

Thanks for the info everyone.

I guess I knew the answer to the question: "ride it and you decide",
but it never hurts to ask.

As far as usage goes it will be used regularly in criteriums as well as
road races and some time trials. The point about carbon durability is
interesting. Fortunately I've never crashed in a crit (or anything
else for that matter), but it is just a matter of time. It seems a
carbon frame could be compromised in a crash more easily than
aluminium.

On a somewhat related topic, I was looking at the Scott CR1. Does
anyone know where their frames are manufactured and what the warranty
is?

Old January 6th 05, 01:57 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

dwelzel writes- I'm in the market for a new road racing bike and am looking
to spend
around $3k. I've noticed that in this price range you tend to have a
choice between higher end components or a higher end frame. There are
some Trek's in this range with Ultegra components. However, there is a
nice aluminum Cannondale that comes with full Dura-Ace. BRBR

Fit is most important. BUT the frameset is the heart of the bicycle and should
have the biggest part of the $ spent on it. Components are minor in comparison,
wear out, are replaced regularly. The frame first, the fork, the wheels, the
saddle and the brakes are important. Shifters and ders are minor as are things
like headsets, BBs.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old January 6th 05, 05:33 PM
Drew Eckhardt

In article . com,
wrote:
I'm in the market for a new road racing bike and am looking to spend
around $3k. I've noticed that in this price range you tend to have a
choice between higher end components or a higher end frame. There are
some Trek's in this range with Ultegra components. However, there is a
nice aluminum Cannondale that comes with full Dura-Ace.

1. Get what fits, especially if you have disproportionately long
legs/torso.

2. The weight difference between aluminum, carbon, steel, titanium
isn't interesting. Unpainted titanium frames don't have paint
to scratch and look good after you've ridden them for a decade.

3. The functional differences between component lines (Chorus/Record,
Ultegra/Dura ace) are often negligble, with the measureable difference
being weight which is often just a few grams. You can pick and choose
where there are differences. I had my frame built mostly with
Athena/Racing-T, but substituted Chorus brifters (ball bearings not in the
Athena parts, only different from Record in lever aesthetics)
and hubs (grease ports and a bit different internally from
Athena, shipped with different skewers than Record and
the standard Record steel pawl carrier vs. Titanium for Record Ti).

Beyond that it's guy jewelry. When my chain rings wore out and
I wanted to change gearing to a compact I bought a carbon fiber
crankset. They don't make me any faster but they do look pretty
and loosing 10 ounces in crank/bottom bracket gives a similar
satisfaction. They get used almost daily. Total cost difference was
about $100 over aluminum cranks and a heavier bottom bracket, far less
than a woman would spend on an outfit that'll be out-dated soon or baubles
she'll seldomly wear.

Aesthetics or bragging brights will probably get you some
pleasure; just be honest that's the reason.

4. The same thing often applies to framesets within a line. Tapered
titanium tubes look nicer but straight tubes still build into
a function 3.5 pound frame.

5. In your price range you can have a frameset built to suit your tastes - fit,
ergo or STI, gearing, saddle, handlebar shape, wheels (a lot of us like
hand built 32 spoke wheels), even grip tape.

You just don't get a big company's discount on "better" components.

After 9-10 years I'm really glad I did this.

6. The chain, cogs, chain rings, and bearings (the whole bottom bracket
when it's disposables) wear out. Shift levers and rims (never had
one survive until it wore out) get crashed.

Replacements happen when better options become available/common (compact
cranks, a couple more cogs) and choice in "old" technology becomes
limited (I switched to 9 speed when I couldn't buy a 13-21 8 speed cogset
that didn't come from a small botique vendor.)

You can have the frame for a _long_ time. Replacing it will not
be inexpensive. Get something you like. I should have spent somewhat
more and gotten tapered titanium for the aesthetics.

HTH.
--
a href="http://www.poohsticks.org/drew/"Home Page/a
9/11 was a premptive attack