Which cassteet to use..... a 34T or 32T on a MTB.?

Old February 7th 08, 02:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ben[_6_]

Default Which cassteet to use..... a 34T or 32T on a MTB.?

On Feb 6, 7:16*pm, Ben wrote:
Hi there,

I'm just in the process of replacing my chain, front chainrings and
rear cassette on my Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite '06. *It's a
full suspension machine and I use it mostly for recreational riding
and the odd cross country race.

Currently the bike has a 34T cassette, but am wondering what happens
if I change it to 32T.?

Obviously the granny gear will not be as low, but my question is which
is recommended for what type of riding? Why?

Thanks!

Ben
-Auckland, New Zealand-

Hi guys,

Your thoughts have been helpdul. :-)

I see that for my use it will be little difference whether I choose
the 32T or 34T, but I have gone for the 32T simply because they were
on sale! ;-) Another thing I heard is that riders with single ring
fronts will play with the 32/34 difference a bit for help with getting
back up the hills again. But I see there would not be huge difference
in that either.

I'm replacing my drivetrain after suffering some chain suck and ****ty
shifts in a race last weekend so looking forward to some smooth
shifting racing with your help now.

Thanks again

Ben
-Auckland, NZ-