next question - cloth bar tape?

Old July 18th 13, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

Default Cable Guide

On Wednesday, 17 July 2013 01:36:22 UTC+1, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Tuesday, July 16, 2013 4:59:50 PM UTC-7, datakoll wrote:

On Tuesday, July 16, 2013 4:07:58 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

On Tuesday, July 16, 2013 1:30:55 PM UTC-4, datakoll wrote:

OK what ya gonna sleep on ?

ahh Sir Ridesasloat ? how many of yore friends have tiny hands ?

adjusting on a larger diameter soft surface bar would roll up easier than a hard smaller diameter bar.

? oxcart !

A lot of people i know have small hands especially women.

Cheers

and so are these small handed women riding bicycles ?

a large enough mass of small handed people to back universal use age of an inferior product ?

Beattie, are these riders guilty or what ?

My legal opinion is that, in Florida, Sir Ridesalot can stand his ground. Do not f*** with his cloth tape!

Personally, I like cork and rubber and found that cloth gets slimy and gross after a fairly short time in the PNW. I have also grown to dislike small diameter bars. They hurt my tender palms, even with gloves -- so fatty tape is good. Frank is right -- pure cork can break faster than cloth and look really bad (like on my commuter, which is a mix of cork and electrical tape). The rubbery stuff is more durable but more expensive.

The worst tape ever in the PNW is Bennoto Cello-tape -- even if it is "used by all cycling champions." http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-BENOTTO-...item4173d7c598

That stuff is slippery when wet.

Depends on the leather of your mitts. Had to keep the palms of my mitts (crotched cotton)regularly scrubbed and scraped clean else they'd get a shine and not grip the bar tape.

I was riding on the tops with that stuff many years ago, hit a bump, my hands slipped off, and I went careening across a major arterial before I regained my grip.

I found that with the bottom of the hooks dead level I never had a problem with hands rolling off.

Scared the crap out of me.

No cost laxative for the protein muncher.

Luckily there was no approaching traffic. That road is now perpetually crowded, and if I slipped today, I would get smashed -- although, statistically, I would only skin my knee.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old July 19th 13, 06:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default next question - cloth bar tape?

I know LBS owners need to make their profit, but IMHO handlebar tape has become so ridiculously expensive that I have started using old-fashioned friction tape instead. It is cheap; it works great; and since it is sticky on both sides, you don't have to worry about your hands leaving the bars when you go over a bump.
Old July 19th 13, 06:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_8_]

On 2013-07-19 17:41:47 +0000, said:

I know LBS owners need to make their profit, but IMHO handlebar tape
has become so ridiculously expensive that I have started using
old-fashioned friction tape instead. It is cheap; it works great; and
since it is sticky on both sides, you don't have to worry about your
hands leaving the bars when you go over a bump.

Expensive/
http://www.rose.nl/artikel/xtreme-st...lent/aid:26036

7 euro and it doesn't get better than this. Lasts a couple of years if
you buy the black one and wrap it with care and don't crash of course.
--

Lou

Old July 19th 13, 08:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 2013-07-19 17:41:47 +0000, said:

I know LBS owners need to make their profit, but IMHO handlebar tape

has become so ridiculously expensive that I have started using

old-fashioned friction tape instead. It is cheap; it works great; and

since it is sticky on both sides, you don't have to worry about your

hands leaving the bars when you go over a bump.

Expensive/

http://www.rose.nl/artikel/xtreme-st...lent/aid:26036

7 euro and it doesn't get better than this. Lasts a couple of years if

you buy the black one and wrap it with care and don't crash of course.

--

Lou

in English:
http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/x...lent/aid:26036
Old July 19th 13, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
davethedave[_2_]

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 19:51:17 +0200, Lou Holtman wrote:

I know LBS owners need to make their profit, but IMHO handlebar tape
has become so ridiculously expensive that I have started using
old-fashioned friction tape instead. It is cheap; it works great; and
since it is sticky on both sides, you don't have to worry about your
hands leaving the bars when you go over a bump.

Expensive/
http://www.rose.nl/artikel/xtreme-st...lent/aid:26036

7 euro and it doesn't get better than this. Lasts a couple of years if
you buy the black one and wrap it with care and don't crash of course.

Eeeeeuuw! That's just *So* not black.
--
davethedave
Old July 20th 13, 01:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

AAAAHHHHHH breathable cork...incroyable....hitech...

thatsnot a tiger, itsa brainworm
Old July 20th 13, 05:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, July 19, 2013 1:41:47 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I know LBS owners need to make their profit, but IMHO handlebar tape has become so ridiculously expensive that I have started using old-fashioned friction tape instead. It is cheap; it works great; and since it is sticky on both sides, you don't have to worry about your hands leaving the bars when you go over a bump.

And a bicycle inner tube split lengthwise and then trimmed to width can be wrapped under the friction or hockey tape to give some cushioning and to also make future removal of the tape much easier. I aggree that the $20.00 average cost of bar tape here is too much hence why I went to using hockey tape at $2.00 roll and a roll is enough for at least two bikes bars.

Cheers
Old July 20th 13, 01:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

roll urown ?

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&t...=960&bih= 511