International send-off messages? "Ride well"?

Old December 8th 14, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default International send-off messages? "Ride well"?

On 12/7/2014 8:42 PM, wrote:

Frank may see Indiana as a separate country ?

Well, no. We have friends that live there, and they speak the same
language we do and everything!

I've done three bike tours that included Indiana, at least a little bit.
I shouldn't stereotype, I suppose, but when we did our coast-to-coast,
all three of us agreed that the people we met in Indiana weren't nearly
as friendly as people in other states we rode through.

It could have been luck of the draw, I guess. On any bike tour, you meet
just a small sampling of people.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 8th 14, 02:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Frank Krygowski

yes, I have heard that, not often but in a distant past.

https://www.google.com/#q=new+york+t...n+indianapolis

http://goo.gl/6Rlxx1

know of a humorous acerbic review of regionalisms ?

Old December 8th 14, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Sun, 07 Dec 2014 22:53:26 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

I've done three bike tours that included Indiana, at least a little bit.
I shouldn't stereotype, I suppose, but when we did our coast-to-coast,
all three of us agreed that the people we met in Indiana weren't nearly
as friendly as people in other states we rode through.

The chief difference I noticed when moving from New York to Indiana
was that Hoosiers don't neglect their dogs.

In New York, I was once chased by an entire pack of neglected dogs --
fortunately, the chase started at the top of two miles of steep,
well-paved hill and they were half a block down a side road when they
saw me.

After moving to Indiana, I mislaid my Halt and never bothered to buy a
replacement. (I did, a few weeks ago, take a mouthful of water
thinking I might need to spit in a dog's face, but he didn't attack.)

There are a couple of confounding factors. Our retirement home is in
a small town, instead of halfway between two villages (one of which
had withered away when people stopped needing to rest their horses
before climbing New Salem Hill), so I don't go out into the country
every time I ride.

The other factor is that the part of New York I rode through was where
city fellers went to be "out in the country", and were shocked and
astounded that there were still rules -- it was actually forbidden to
store your car in the roadway! When I get out in the country here,
the farmhouses are occupied by farmers.

The friendliest people I met on my only cross-country tour were in
Detroit. I was worried that we might not be able to leave without
hurting their feelings.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/

Old December 8th 14, 06:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

commission ?

NO, THE INVERSE. Take a look at SCI.GEO.EARTHQUAKES/ORION EQ...a Googler subspecies are dirt bags. I cannot use Utube with the sound on without hearing a load.

But we see posters maybe not using search tools toward enlightenment.

Mussolini and trains....

I am up on GooMaps but down on EARTH as Goo took away pushpins.

prowling northern AZ at the Rockies bottom, GooMaps tuned in a lot of touring with GooImages...sound off.

wearing shorts and T, finishing the CoonRoaster switch panel.
Old December 12th 14, 01:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

RALPH ?

http://goo.gl/M9cIqm
Old December 13th 14, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zarniwoop

On Tuesday, November 25, 2014 9:31:02 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
America has some serious fears about bicycling. And it's been pointed
out that in America, when someone sets out on a bicycle, it's common to
get warnings, as in "Be safe!" or "Please be careful!" Sometimes,
there's the extra-specific "Watch out for cars!" as if we didn't notice
they were out there. ;-)

I've read that in France, the customary send off is much more pleasant -
something more like "Ride well!" (Perhaps it's stated as "Bon Voyage"?
I've got no French skills.)

We've got readers here from many countries. What sort of send-off
message do you get as you pedal away? Do you hear warnings, or more
pleasant good-byes?

It might be interesting to see how things are said in your native
language, and the English translation.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Ride fast, take Chances!

US has whole industries getting rich , promoting fear and benefitting from reducing all relationships to Friend or Foe.
Old June 15th 15, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 12:30:57 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

What sort of send-off
message do you get as you pedal away?

On yesterday's ride, someone I'd been chatting with said "Be careful
out there" when I started to leave the store. I reassured her by
turning to show the bottle in my pocket -- she was talking about the
heat.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/