Gatorskins: Joerg Wins!

Old April 1st 17, 09:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Gatorskins: Joerg Wins!

On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 20:54:02 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 3/31/2017 3:46 AM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 22:14:53 -0400, Frank Krygowski

On 2017-03-30 11:47, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/30/2017 11:15 AM, Joerg wrote:

I have thick spokes and good rims right now. However, spokes keep going
every now and then, on the rear wheel. The "self-infliction" comes from
the fact that I often use my bikes as ... gasp ... utility vehicles.
Bringing heavy packages to Fedex when I couldn't make the pickup cut-off
time, schlepping parts from the valley up here, etc. This includes
sections where chugging uphill in low gear is required, almost standing
in the pedals.

Joerg, I think you're overestimating your machismo. I use my bikes as
utility vehicles as well. My last grocery run, just a couple days ago,
had me carrying probably 50 pounds. It far exceeded the capacity of my
large shopping panniers, partly because I realized at the last minute
that we needed a big box of cat litter. I ended up with stuff lashed on
top of the panniers and overstuffing the handlebar bag. (And since it's
so important to you: yes, a dozen beers were part of the load.)

I am not macho but this is standard fare for me. I have an ESGE aluminum
rack on the road bike and panniers on that. This is where tools, water,
small loads of purchase stuff rides. The flat section on top is where
machine parts for client, Fedex boxes, supplies from the valley and such
ride.

I also spent decades biking to and from work, over famously potholed
streets, often with piles of books and lab reports to grade. I do
remember breaking two rear axles over the years, but almost never a
spoke.

I broke several axles on the old MTB and that was because it had one of
those dreaded freewheels where the right bearing is too far inside.
Strangely I do not break spokes on MTB but I broke lots of them on road
bikes, maybe because they have no suspension.

Whenever this frame gives up (if it ever does) I will transfer to a
cyclocross bike with disc brakes and then I can use MTB wheels. That
should fix the problem for good.

BTW, I am by far not the only one with wear failures. The extreme is a
friend who rides around 10k miles per year. He broke frames, BBs,
spokes, numerous hubs, cranks and so on. Everything he rides is
high-class expensive stuff, he only rides on paved surfaces yet it
breaks. He only weighs around 180lbs and doesn't even have a cargo racks
on his bikes. However, he sure steps on it and I can't keep up with him
for much more than 30 minutes. Not because of lack of muscle but because
then I am out of breath.

About high class, expensive stuff: I think spending lots of money
doesn't necessarily mean you're getting more reliability. In some
cases, you're getting lighter equipment that is supposed to produce
performance benefits, but which probably has lower safety factors. IOW,
the designers cut things closer to the minimum in order to advertise
lightness.

I'm not at all saying that the cheapest stuff is the strongests. But it
may be that there's some sweet spot, a price point at which the
equipment is good enough in material and design to be strong and work
well, but not so "high class" as to require careful use to prevent failure.

Well, you can buy a low end Rolex watch for about $5,000 these days.
Or a low end Casio G-Shock for ~$99. Which one keeps the best time one
wonders :-)

Speaking of watches, I'd love to find an old in good
condition. I've never found another watch I liked as much.

\And about mechanical watches: If anyone has repair instructions for
Landeron 248 chronograph movement, I'd be interested. I'm a bit afraid
to dive into it by trial and error.

Maybe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsXX7LyE3tc
or maybe