Possibility to repair a carbon frame?

Old February 5th 08, 10:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Steffen Hauser

Default Possibility to repair a carbon frame?

Hi,

the carbon frame of my racing bike was damaged, especially the clear
lacquer. Does anybody know if this can be repaired? How? And who could
do it?

Regards,
-Steffen-
Old February 5th 08, 10:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dabac[_123_]

Steffen Hauser Wrote:
the carbon frame of my racing bike was damaged, especially the clear
lacquer. Does anybody know if this can be repaired?If it's only cosmetic, sure. If it's cosmetic AND structural, probably.

Steffen Hauser Wrote:
? How?

If it's only cosmetic it's fairly simple. The afflicted part(or the
whole frame) needs to be sanded down lightly, cleaned and then resprayed
with a clearcoat.
I suggest that you contact the manufacturer to make sure that you're
using a clearcoat that's compatible with whatever that's already on the
frame.

Steffen Hauser Wrote:
And who could do it?

If it's only cosmetic pretty much anybody. If you're looking for
professionals a car painter would be my first suggestion. You can always
try asking the LBS if there's someone in the 'hood who does frames.

If it's structural it'll be harder to track down professionals, but you
might find them through the boating/yachting industry. Can't hurt to ask
your LBS about that as well.

There are a couple of frame builders that does repairs too, you'll have
to ship them the frame, but they'll take it from there.

--
dabac

Old February 5th 08, 02:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Steffen Hauser wrote:
Hi,

the carbon frame of my racing bike was damaged, especially the clear
lacquer. Does anybody know if this can be repaired? How? And who could
do it?

Regards,
-Steffen-

cosmetic is easy. if it's structural, attempted repair is not a good
idea as you have no idea about success or integrity until it starts to
fail again. test the frame by loading it and seeing if it makes any
creaking or cracking noises. if so, buy a new frame - this one will
need to be retired as wall art.
Old February 5th 08, 05:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

On Feb 5, 2:16*am, Steffen Hauser
wrote:
Hi,

the carbon frame of my racing bike was damaged, especially the clear
lacquer. Does anybody know if this can be repaired? How? And who could
do it?

If its just the clearcoat, then try applying clear nail polish. It
works well.

If the damage is greater, it might be repairable. The only builder who
actually does repair on carbon fiber frames is Craig Calfee. Not only
can he repair his own frames, he can do others. Here's a list of
frames (and apparently carbon wheels!) that he has repaired:

Brands of frame (or wheel) we have successfully repaired: Trek,
Kestrel, Giant, Colnago, Look, Cervelo, Ridley, Scott, Bianchi, Time,
Orbea, Corima, LeMond, Cannondale, Fondriest, Merckx, DeRosa, Quintana
Roo, Wilier, Aegis, Specialized, CarBent, Zipp, Softride, Hed,
Nimble.

http://www.calfeedesign.com/howtosendrepair.htm
Old February 5th 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Steffen Hauser wrote:
the carbon frame of my racing bike was damaged, especially the clear
lacquer. Does anybody know if this can be repaired? How? And who could
do it?

Clear nail polish, $5 at Walgreens
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old February 5th 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Leo Lichtman

"dabac" wrote: If it's only cosmetic it's fairly simple. The afflicted
part(or the
whole frame) needs to be sanded down lightly, cleaned and then resprayed
with a clearcoat. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lacquer redissolves in its own solvent, so even sanding is not necessary. I
suggest spraying with clear lacquer that has been thinned with about 50%
thinner. Lots of light coats. This, of course, is for cosmetic damage
only.

Old February 5th 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Steffen Hauser wrote:

the carbon frame of my racing bike was damaged, especially the clear
lacquer. Does anybody know if this can be repaired? How? And who could
do it?

You can do it!

https://secure.roycemedical.com/db/roycedb.fm$FIND?GroupID=CASTING_TFI&layout=detail& html=htmlDetail.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/22c2af

People will ask if they can sign your bike.

Chalo
Old February 6th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dabac[_128_]

Leo Lichtman Wrote:
Lacquer redissolves in its own solvent, so even sanding is not
necessary. ...if it actually is lacquer that's already on there..

Personally I have, as needs would have it, at one time or another, used
just about every household (and garage) chemical with any kind of
cleaning/ degreasing ability available on a bike and I have yet to come
across one capable of reacting with the clear coat/paint job already on
the bike.

--
dabac

Old February 8th 08, 12:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole

dabac wrote:
Leo Lichtman Wrote:
Lacquer redissolves in its own solvent, so even sanding is not
necessary. ...if it actually is lacquer that's already on there..

Personally I have, as needs would have it, at one time or another, used
just about every household (and garage) chemical with any kind of
cleaning/ degreasing ability available on a bike and I have yet to come
across one capable of reacting with the clear coat/paint job already on
the bike.

Acetone comes to mind.
Old February 8th 08, 01:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dabac[_132_]

Peter Cole Wrote:
dabac wrote:
Leo Lichtman Wrote:
Lacquer redissolves in its own solvent, so even sanding is not
necessary. ...if it actually is lacquer that's already on there..

Personally I have, as needs would have it, at one time or another,

used
just about every household (and garage) chemical with any kind of
cleaning/ degreasing ability available on a bike and I have yet to

come
across one capable of reacting with the clear coat/paint job already

on
the bike.

Acetone comes to mind.

I have tried acetone on the last residual gunk after stickers removal
once. And although not the substance of choice I didn't notice any
impact on the paint. No transfer of paint to the rag, no shift in color,
no stickiness or dulling of the surface or anything.

--
dabac