frame materials

Old August 18th 09, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Robert Norton

Default frame materials

What are the relative merits of aluminium or quality steel? I'm talkimg with
reference to touring bikes
Tia
Rob

Old August 20th 09, 04:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Art Harris

Robert Norton wrote:
What are the relative merits of aluminium or quality steel? I'm talkimg with
reference to touring bikes

It all depends on dimensions of the tubing (diameter, wall thickness,
etc.) and what the frame builder does with it.

See:
http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-materials.html

Art Harris

Old September 1st 09, 02:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
terryc

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 21:10:19 +0100, Robert Norton wrote:

What are the relative merits of aluminium or quality steel? I'm talkimg
with reference to touring bikes

If you are going around the world, then get steel as you can get them
repaired everywhere.

--

Great advances in Debian Linux; post a bug report and get spam in three
days.

Old September 1st 09, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
mac

What are the relative merits of aluminium or quality steel? I'm talkimg
with reference to touring bikes

If you are going around the world, then get steel as you can get them
repaired everywhere.

You can probably also get a new frame shipped to you, which may be
better than having the local blacksmith patch it up.

Have you considered bamboo?

A small advantage of my Al frame is that my handlebar bell/compass works.
Old September 6th 09, 02:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Simon Lewis

terryc writes:

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 21:10:19 +0100, Robert Norton wrote:

What are the relative merits of aluminium or quality steel? I'm talkimg
with reference to touring bikes

If you are going around the world, then get steel as you can get them
repaired everywhere.

This has been debunked a million times.

However, I would always recommend steel because I have seen a LOT of
dented alu frames from something as harmless as a bike falling across
the top of a post for example.