why I'll never ride sram in any grand tour or one day classic

Old May 6th 11, 04:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default why I'll never ride sram in any grand tour or one day classic

Ronsonic wrote:
"Snortley" wrote in message

Last month, I was on a lunch break in the middle of a ride. Outside
the diner where I was sitting, there was a long line of patrons at a
table in front of a housewares store. I wondered what was in such
demand that so many were turning out. Then I saw the banner
advertising the deal: bring in you chef's knife for a free sharpening!
These people couldn't even sharpen a kitchen knife! Not a few, but
they were showing up in droves! What the store was offering seemed
like a sign of the times. Would this have been a draw 50 years ago?

Fifty years ago there was an old guy on a pedal powered thingawachit who
rode through the neighborhood ringing a bell. He sharpened knives. And
scissors! The sign was real big about the scissors but knives were his core
business.

Not only was it a draw, but a big enough of one to be worth delivering.

If he was successful, I guess some people would let a
stranger sharpen their knives. Weird.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old May 6th 11, 06:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
RicodJour

On May 5, 11:34*pm, AMuzi wrote:
Ronsonic wrote:
"Snortley" wrote in message

Last month, I was on a lunch break in the middle of a ride. Outside
the diner where I was sitting, there was a long line of patrons at a
table in front of a housewares store. I wondered what was in such
demand that so many were turning out. Then I saw the banner
advertising the deal: bring in you chef's knife for a free sharpening!
These people couldn't even sharpen a kitchen knife! Not a few, but
they were showing up in droves! What the store was offering seemed
like a sign of the times. Would this have been a draw 50 years ago?

Fifty years ago there was an old guy on a pedal powered thingawachit who
rode through the neighborhood ringing a bell. He sharpened knives. And
scissors! The sign was real big about the scissors but knives were his core
business.

A hundred years ago there were pedal powered lathes, scrollsaws and
the ilk. The only TVs allowed should be pedal powered. That would
take care of 50% of the obesity problem right there.

Not only was it a draw, but a big enough of one to be worth delivering.

If he was successful, I guess some people would let a
stranger sharpen their knives. *Weird.

Most people don't know how to sharpen a knife, and that includes a lot
of the guys who go around in the trucks doing it. Another lost art.

Old May 6th 11, 06:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Kerry Montgomery

RicodJour wrote:
On May 5, 11:34 pm, AMuzi wrote:
Ronsonic wrote:
"Snortley" wrote in message

[...]

R,
It would have worked better with CRT TVs - a number of the current ones take
less than 100W. CNET shows a couple of 32" LCD HDTVs at just under 50W!
Kerry

Old May 6th 11, 07:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

RicodJour wrote:

Most people don't know how to sharpen a knife, and that includes a lot
of the guys who go around in the trucks doing it. Another lost art.

The devices sold for people to witlessly sharpen their knives makes me
laugh.

JS.
Old May 6th 11, 09:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Kurgan Gringioni[_3_]

"yirgster" wrote in message
:A few weeks ago my sram force shift lever (the actual paddle that you
: push) broke off on the right shifter. 30 miles to go.
:
: Looking around in the forums, I'm not alone. Maybe an extra 10 grams
: or so would have helped.
:
: About 3000-4000 miles.

Dumbass -

When they're designing on the hairy edge of lightness vs. reliability and
charging a lot of money for the gruppo, they should make parts like the
lever out of titanium.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

Old May 6th 11, 11:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Simply Fred

James wrote:
The devices sold for people to witlessly sharpen their knives makes me
laugh.

The devices to sharpen wit are funnier.

Old May 6th 11, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Frederick the Great

In article
,
RicodJour wrote:

On May 5, 11:34Â*pm, AMuzi wrote:
Ronsonic wrote:
"Snortley" wrote in message

[...]

stranger sharpen their knives. Â*Weird.

Most people don't know how to sharpen a knife, and that includes a lot
of the guys who go around in the trucks doing it. Another lost art.

One day I was hanging out with some people and taking
the idle time to sharpen my pocket knife on one of
those Arkansas novaculite stones. A guy handy with
tools ridiculed me and I said the edge could shave the
hair off his arm. He took me up then shut up.

--
Old Fritz
Old May 6th 11, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On May 6, 3:39*pm, Frederick the Great wrote:
In article
,

*RicodJour wrote:
On May 5, 11:34*pm, AMuzi wrote:
Ronsonic wrote:
"Snortley" wrote in message

[...]

Wait - did you sharpen the hair off his arm, or did he, and are you
sure it was his arm? ~

Old May 7th 11, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Frederick the Great

In article
,
RicodJour wrote:

On May 6, 3:39Â*pm, Frederick the Great wrote:
In article
,
Â*RicodJour wrote:
On May 5, 11:34Â*pm, AMuzi wrote:
Ronsonic wrote:
"Snortley" wrote in message

Last month, I was on a lunch break in the middle of a ride. Outside
the diner where I was sitting, there was a long line of patrons at a
table in front of a housewares store. I wondered what was in such
demand that so many were turning out. Then I saw the banner
advertising the deal: bring in you chef's knife for a free sharpening!
These people couldn't even sharpen a kitchen knife! Not a few, but
they were showing up in droves! What the store was offering seemed
like a sign of the times. Would this have been a draw 50 years ago?

Fifty years ago there was an old guy on a pedal powered thingawachit who
rode through the neighborhood ringing a bell. He sharpened knives. And
scissors! The sign was real big about the scissors but knives were his core
business.

A hundred years ago there were pedal powered lathes, scrollsaws and
the ilk. Â*The only TVs allowed should be pedal powered. Â*That would
take care of 50% of the obesity problem right there.

Not only was it a draw, but a big enough of one to be worth delivering.

If he was successful, I guess some people would let a
stranger sharpen their knives. Â*Weird.

Most people don't know how to sharpen a knife, and that includes a lot
of the guys who go around in the trucks doing it. Â*Another lost art.

One day I was hanging out with some people and taking
the idle time to sharpen my pocket knife on one of
those Arkansas novaculite stones. A guy handy with
tools ridiculed me and I said the edge could shave the
hair off his arm. He took me up then shut up.

Wait - did you sharpen the hair off his arm, or did he, and are you
sure it was his arm? ~

He did. As sure as the day is long.

--
Old Fritz
Old May 7th 11, 01:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Stephen Bauman

On Wed, 04 May 2011 23:48:43 -0700, yirgster wrote:

A few weeks ago my sram force shift lever (the actual paddle that you
push) broke off on the right shifter. 30 miles to go.

Another reason I prefer downtube friction shifters.

Does the randonneur PBP qualifies as a grand tour? I felt no need to hide
the shift on the two I completed. However, breaking a shifter ratchet
between two controls would have been fatal.

If you want to ride grand tour or one day classic equipment, I suggest
your first purchase be a support car. :=)

--
Stephen Bauman

Classic Reynolds 725 Thorn Audax for a Grand Sterling Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 0 January 12th 11 03:19 PM
Jan Ullrich Grand Tour routebear Racing 2 July 4th 06 12:15 AM
Has anyone besides Savoldelli ever won a Grand Tour Kurgan Gringioni Racing 24 May 9th 06 07:23 AM
Grand Tour winners Bob Martin Racing 9 July 26th 05 07:20 PM
Grand Tour dominance- last ten years [email protected] Racing 11 June 2nd 05 04:12 AM