Bicycles need lights when it is dark.

Old June 21st 12, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Default Bicycles need lights when it is dark.

What a stupid waste of a life.

Lewis Balyckyi, 18, of Cinnamon Hill Road South, Walton-le-Dale, near
Preston, was found dead in a hedgerow shortly after a collision with a van
driven by Leslie Pitblado, 50, on January 18 last year.

The teenager, who had been selected to train with a European race cycling
team in France, was riding along North Road in Bretherton, near Chorley,
when he was struck by the vehicle at around 5pm.

Other motorists had told a trial into the accident at Preston Crown Court
that the teenager did not have any lights on his bike and was wearing dark
clothing, despite it being dark at the time.

Mr Pitblado, of St Annes Road, Leyland, wearing a grey suit, shirt and tie
in the dock, showed no emotion as a unanimous not guilty verdict was
delivered by a jury yesterday.

http://www.lep.co.uk/news/local/dad-...eath-1-4668906

Old June 22nd 12, 08:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_10_]

Default Motorists need to look out for cyclists when it is dark.

On Jun 21, 8:13*pm, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
What a stupid waste of a life.

I thought you believed that cyclists lives are worthless?

Lewis Balyckyi, 18, of Cinnamon Hill Road South, Walton-le-Dale, near
Preston, was found dead in a hedgerow shortly after a collision with a van
driven by Leslie Pitblado, 50, on January 18 last year.

The teenager, who had been selected to train with a European race cycling
team in France, was riding along North Road in Bretherton, near Chorley,
when he was struck by the vehicle at around 5pm.

Other motorists had told a trial into the accident at Preston Crown Court
that the teenager did not have any lights on his bike and was wearing dark
clothing, despite it being dark at the time.

Mr Pitblado, of St Annes Road, Leyland, wearing a grey suit, shirt and tie
in the dock, showed no emotion as a unanimous not guilty verdict was
delivered by a jury yesterday.

http://www.lep.co.uk/news/local/dad-...t-s-death-1-46...

Delivered by a jury of mainly motorists no doubt, as usual.

I recall when I was knocked off my bike by a motorist the police and
the motorist tried to make out I had no lights. The impact dislodged
my front light and it was left lying on the ground and I was in no fit
state to deny it at the time. Just another way to blame the vulnerable
victim eh?

Later, in hospital, the police tried to extract a false confession
from me about having no lights but by that time I had sufficiently
recovered to contradict them. I hate to think what might have happened
if my injuries had been worse.

-- .
A driving licence is sometimes a licence to kill.

Old June 22nd 12, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Doug wrote:
On Jun 21, 8:13 pm, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
What a stupid waste of a life.

I thought you believed that cyclists lives are worthless?

I have never said that, AFAICR
The cyclist knew he had no lights, yet still went out in the dark. Anther
motorist had managed to 'just' avoid him, unfortunately the van driver got
him. I actually think the van driver 'should' have been able to see him in
time to miss him, but I can understand why it was very difficult.

The dead cyclist just wasted everything he and his family had spent years
building up by his selfish actions, which were entirely unnecessary.

Old June 22nd 12, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
henry.mcintosh

On Friday, June 22, 2012 8:04:53 AM UTC+1, Doug wrote:
[...]

It's amazing how far you will go to defend a stupid & law breaking cyclist.

I recall when I was knocked off my bike by a motorist the police and
the motorist tried to make out I had no lights. The impact dislodged
my front light and it was left lying on the ground and I was in no fit
state to deny it at the time. Just another way to blame the vulnerable
victim eh?

Later, in hospital, the police tried to extract a false confession
from me about having no lights but by that time I had sufficiently
recovered to contradict them. I hate to think what might have happened
if my injuries had been worse.

Is that when you were unable to stop in time to avoid a collision?

Old June 22nd 12, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Jun 22, 10:17*am, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
Doug wrote:
On Jun 21, 8:13 pm, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
What a stupid waste of a life.

I thought you believed that cyclists lives are worthless?

I have never said that, AFAICR
The cyclist knew he had no lights, yet still went out in the dark. *Anther

I think he went out in the light and it got dark before he could
complete his journey. January, 5pm

motorist had managed to 'just' avoid him,

Amazingly! Perhaps his motor vehicle included headlights as part of
the package and the driver actually used them and could see with them
because he wasn't following too close to the vehicle in front.

unfortunately the van driver got
him. *I actually think the van driver 'should' have been able to see him in
time to miss him, but I can understand why it was very difficult.

He was likely following too close to a motor vehicle, he couldn't see
where he was going and probably would have made little difference to
the outcome even if the rider was using lights, should the van driver
have been staring at the back of the vehicle he was following.

The dead cyclist just wasted everything he and his family had spent years
building up by his selfish actions, which were entirely unnecessary.

Where the van driver's eyes tested, including for glaucoma? Did you
perform the test, were you thorough? What protocol did you use?

Old June 22nd 12, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Jun 22, 8:04*am, Doug wrote:
[...]

That was always a worry of mine and so I'd make drop tests with my
bike to make sure nothing budged. I modified a few lamps and brackets
to ensure that they stayed in alignment and could not jump loose.

Later, in hospital, the police tried to extract a false confession
from me about having no lights but by that time I had sufficiently
recovered to contradict them. I hate to think what might have happened
if my injuries had been worse.

Heroin pump, no blankets and windows wide open can have you down below
in three days. The NHS knows how to economise.

Old June 22nd 12, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Doug wrote:
On Jun 21, 8:13 pm, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
What a stupid waste of a life.

I thought you believed that cyclists lives are worthless?

I have never said that, AFAICR
The cyclist knew he had no lights, yet still went out in the dark.
Anther

I think he went out in the light and it got dark before he could
complete his journey. January, 5pm

so he should have stopped riding when it gets dark. he was a very
experienced cyclist, he would know how far he could go in the time before
dark, it was a deliberate action on his own part that led to his death.

Old June 22nd 12, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

Doug wrote:
On Jun 21, 8:13 pm, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
What a stupid waste of a life.

I thought you believed that cyclists lives are worthless?

I have never said that, AFAICR
The cyclist knew he had no lights, yet still went out in the dark.
Anther

I think he went out in the light and it got dark before he could
complete his journey. *January, 5pm

so he should have *stopped riding when it gets dark. *he was a very
experienced cyclist, he would know how far he could go in the time before
dark, it was a deliberate action on his own part that led to his death.

"Mr Pitblado had been at the wheel of the van with a number of work
colleagues travelling with him.

"His son, who was sitting beside him in the front of the vehicle,
spotted the cyclist seconds before the crash.

"Mr Pitblado had pulled out to overtake a car and said he had been
unaware of the cyclist until the point of the collision."

So, the driver's son, also in the van, spotted the cyclist from an
inferior position and the seconds avail;able meant that the overtake
could have been aborted. The driver claims he didn't see, yet his son
did, I want to know why My Pitlabo was driving a goods vehicle with
obviously defective eyesight and why he did nothing to compensate for
his inadequacy, like not attempt an overtake that he was incapable of
enacting. Either the driver was operating the goods vehicle with
grossly defective eyesight or the action was deliberate.

Licensed to kill seems an appropriate description again. I used to
think Doug was a nutter. I re-appraised my beliefs and escaped the
mindset of a licensed driver. I now understand Doug. I'm glad my
views are now my own in this regard. It is difficult to be a free man
when one has been indoctrinated by societal values and belief systems
from a young age. A system which protects the killer so as they
receive no punishment is unlawful and those that promote and operate
that system ARE criminals.
Old June 22nd 12, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Doug wrote:
[...]

from that I would guess that the cyclist and the van met head on.

Traffic lights that turn green for bicycles Simon Mason[_4_] UK 7 March 3rd 12 07:55 PM
Who needs lights - glow in the dark brake pads somebody[_2_] Techniques 14 November 26th 11 02:32 AM
Dark blue lights Meeba Australia 3 May 11th 04 10:38 AM
rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.rides BW General 1 October 18th 03 04:45 PM
rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.rides BW Rides 1 October 18th 03 04:45 PM