next question - cloth bar tape?

Old July 12th 13, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default next question - cloth bar tape?

Since I apparently will have to be ordering some new pedals, something
popped into my head after I fired off my last post. Does anyone sell
the old school cloth bar tape in longer lengths than the little Velox
rolls? Mine is actually still holding up fine (pretty impressive since
it's the stuff I put on when I rebuilt the bike after purchasing it, and
I've killed several rolls of cork/rubber on my other bike a lot faster
than that. Thus validating my preference for the cloth stuff...) but is
starting to look a little faded and shabby. If I could get a length
longer than the standard roll I could probably do a neater job this
time. If not, I might just let it go... the fading pretty well matches
the finish of the rest of the bike

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old July 12th 13, 03:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Nate Nagel wrote:
:Since I apparently will have to be ordering some new pedals, something
opped into my head after I fired off my last post. Does anyone sell
:the old school cloth bar tape in longer lengths than the little Velox
:rolls? Mine is actually still holding up fine (pretty impressive since
:it's the stuff I put on when I rebuilt the bike after purchasing it, and
:I've killed several rolls of cork/rubber on my other bike a lot faster
:than that. Thus validating my preference for the cloth stuff...) but is
:starting to look a little faded and shabby. If I could get a length
:longer than the standard roll I could probably do a neater job this
:time. If not, I might just let it go... the fading pretty well matches
:the finish of the rest of the bike

Newbaum comes on a roll that's a foot or two longer than tthe
tressostar. Made in the USA, not France. I bet Andrew sells it, if
someone local to you doesn't.

--
Movable type was evidently a fad. --Amanda Walker
Old July 12th 13, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 07/11/2013 10:12 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

Sweet. an extra foot or two would make a world of difference. Have to
check that out! I don't remember finding that when I was looking for
the cloth bar tape the first time around, but that was a couple years
back. Thanks so much!

nate

Old July 12th 13, 04:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/11/2013 7:44 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
Since I apparently will have to be ordering some new pedals,
something popped into my head after I fired off my last
post. Does anyone sell the old school cloth bar tape in
longer lengths than the little Velox rolls? Mine is
actually still holding up fine (pretty impressive since it's
the stuff I put on when I rebuilt the bike after purchasing
it, and I've killed several rolls of cork/rubber on my other
bike a lot faster than that. Thus validating my preference
for the cloth stuff...) but is starting to look a little
faded and shabby. If I could get a length longer than the
standard roll I could probably do a neater job this time.
If not, I might just let it go... the fading pretty well
matches the finish of the rest of the bike

nate

If you want thicker coverage or have multiple layers
already, wrap up to the lever, end under the rubber cover.
Wrap one 100mm-ish piece horizontally behind the lever, ends
under the rubber. Start again from there up with the next
roll. You'll need 4 rolls and you'll have leftovers.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 12th 13, 04:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/11/2013 9:12 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

We do and it's good quality with many colors.

Old July 12th 13, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

If you walk outside with a tube of it, your average passerby
will pose with it when asked.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/newbtap.jpg

Old July 12th 13, 04:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

MASSOCHISTS....FOAM TUBING ON AN ERGO BAR.

THE YELLOW JERSEY IS ON A PEDESTRIAN MALL.

STEP OUT WITH TUBING N SEVERAL WILL STEP UP TO SQUEEZE IT.
Old July 12th 13, 03:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

Average? I need to visit your hood someday

Old July 15th 13, 05:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

Default Cable Guide

I had need of a piece of cloth handlebar tape yesterday, but I've
either used up or mislaid the partial reel I had, and Spouse couldn't
remember where he'd put the fiberglass tape I'd borrowed last time, so
I ended up using some adhesive tape (what we used before first-aid
tape was invented) that was old enough that the stickum wasn't any
stickier than handlebar tape.

It was a tad late to protect the paint, though it won't get scratched
more. What I needed it for was to prevent slipping.

My question is, what was it that I wanted to keep from slipping? I'm
pretty sure that 'cable guide" means something else.

It's a decorative sort of hose clamp that's bent up on the side
opposite the bolt to make a housing-size channel, and it keeps the
rear brake cable close to the top tube.

Bumping the cable when mounting the bike had been rotating the clamp
into a position where the bolt snagged my clothing.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old July 15th 13, 06:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Joy Beeson writes:

[...]

You mean a cable clip:

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/cable...are-brake.html

see bottom of page. Most bikes, or at least most I'm
familar with, use cable stops mounted on the frame,
so have no need for such a clip.

--
Joe Riel