where do taxes go?

Old July 13th 13, 12:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default where do taxes go?

On Friday, July 12, 2013 1:00:50 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/12/2013 11:50 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On Friday, July 12, 2013 10:46:41 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:

Uh, that was _your_ money:

"funded by a $203,000 federal grant..."

So, should people get instruction on how to ride a bike legally and safely?

If so, how should that be done?

- Frank Krygowski

If that quarter million dollars accomplishes anything useful

I'll eat your sox.

You may be right, it may be money spent badly.

But my question was much broader. What do people here think:

Should people get instruction on how to ride a bike legally and safely?

If so, how should that be done?

Special note for folks from outside the U.S.: In the U.S., it's essentially never done. As a result, on the ride my wife and I got back from a ride not about an hour ago, we saw roughly eight kids and one adult riding facing traffic.

So for those outside the U.S.: Is bike education done in your country? If so, how? And who pays for it?

- Frank Krygowski

Old July 13th 13, 12:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/12/2013 6:06 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Admittedly we have fallen from our once-sensible Republic
but the general idea is that laws ought to be comprehensible
and where they are the general rule is that ignorance of the
laws is no excuse.

You might argue banking/finance regulation which no one
really understands because it's purposefully
incomprehensible. I would agree that a million lines of
rules accomplish probably a worse situation overall than the
prior fraud statutes[1]. But traffic law is relatively
static and very old and comprehensible (stop at stop signs,
etc).

[1] Eliot Spitzer's comment on his illegal campaign finance
finagling, "The law is porous". And that was _after_ he had
been the NY AG where he held men such as Greenberg to
extralegal standards the courts eventually did not affirm.!
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 13th 13, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

the local rep writes, lobbies, pleads for $$$ for a project his co0nstituents have lobbied, plead, and writing, petitioned...

There's a group on LA after condsideration believes bicycle training is necessary.

I proceed believing the target group isnot from Brentwood....t

the activity is seeding knowledge.

The rep's district has X tax dollars....there are limitations to his asking for Fed money and he spent some Fed largesse on a bike project.

so who shows up to bitch abt this ?
Old July 13th 13, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Friday, July 12, 2013 7:52:17 PM UTC-4, datakoll wrote:
the local rep writes, lobbies, pleads for $$$ for a project his co0nstituents have lobbied, plead, and writing, petitioned...

There's a group on LA after condsideration believes bicycle training is necessary.

I proceed believing the target group isnot from Brentwood....t

the activity is seeding knowledge.

The rep's district has X tax dollars....there are limitations to his asking for Fed money and he spent some Fed largesse on a bike project.

so who shows up to bitch abt this ?

the Feds showed with money and a project to protect our rights ...

and who complains ?
Old July 13th 13, 01:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

The feds and concerned citizens have linked together with an intention of clearing the confusion surrounding cyclists legal rights on the road in LA, one of the most difficult driving environments in the US, a poverty afflicted area, a polluted air area, an area desperately needing cycle transport...

And what LBS type strolls over to bitch abt it ?
Sheldon Brown ? Harris Bro ? Hewhosenamemustnotspoken ? Lance ? Greg LeMond ?
Old July 13th 13, 01:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Friday, July 12, 2013 8:12:39 PM UTC-4, datakoll wrote:
The feds and concerned citizens have linked together with an intention of clearing the confusion surrounding cyclists legal rights on the road in LA, one of the most difficult driving environments in the US, a poverty afflicted area, a polluted air area, an area desperately needing cycle transport...

And what LBS type strolls over to bitch abt it ?

Sheldon Brown ? Harris Bro ? Hewhosenamemustnotspoken ? Lance ? Greg LeMond ?

Bicycle Magazine ?
Old July 13th 13, 01:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

DAVID DUKE ?

Old July 13th 13, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, July 12, 2013 12:50:40 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Friday, July 12, 2013 10:46:41 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:

Uh, that was _your_ money:

"funded by a $203,000 federal grant..."

So, should people get instruction on how to ride a bike legally and safely?

If so, how should that be done?

- Frank Krygowski

If it's the government that starts teaching *RIDE A BICYCLE LEGALLY AND SAFELY* courses, then you can be pretty certain that *MADATORY BICYCLE LICENSES & HELMETS* will be in the pipeline soon after.

Cheers
Old July 13th 13, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 12:00:50 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 7/12/2013 11:50 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Friday, July 12, 2013 10:46:41 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:

Uh, that was _your_ money:

"funded by a $203,000 federal grant..."

So, should people get instruction on how to ride a bike legally and safely?

If so, how should that be done?

- Frank Krygowski

If that quarter million dollars accomplishes anything useful
I'll eat your sox.

Geeze, why worry? It's OPM (Other People's Money). Which, of course,
is why is so "wisely" spent.

But if you want to upset your stomach the various agencies and places
upon which the Government so wisely spends your money is public
information.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Anyone seen how our taxes are being wasted? Doug[_3_] UK 14 September 19th 10 01:06 PM
New taxes for bicycles ????? Grigri General 3 March 18th 05 02:40 PM
New taxes for bicycles ????? Grigri Techniques 0 March 16th 05 11:00 PM
New taxes bycycles ????? Grigri Racing 0 March 16th 05 10:59 PM
New taxes cycles ????? Grigri Marketplace 0 March 16th 05 10:59 PM