Multiple bikes...PIA

Old July 16th 13, 12:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Default Sharpening reel mowers - was Multiple bikes...PIA

Mark J. wrote:
:On 7/15/2013 3:37 PM, Joe Riel wrote:
: Speaking of lawn mowing---anyone here sharpened a Scotts push mower?
: I'm not convinced that back-lapping it (running the reel backwards with
: grinding compound applied to the cutting bar) does much. The local
: lawn-repair shop wants $66 for the service, which is a bit stiff.

:I tried hard to find a DIY method to sharpen "reel" mowers back when I
wned one, 20 years ago. Having it done for you, even back then, was
:expensive, when you could find someone who knew what you were asking for
:- most mower shops I called thought I was talking about sharpening a
:rotary mower, which is trivial with a file and a vise.

:The shops that knew what they were talking about had a fancy tool rig
:that bolted to the mower with a part that slid sideways across, while
:the reel rotated, sharpening the blade at a constant distance from the
:reel axle, to maintain the reel-to-bar constant clearance James mentioned.

:I gave up and bought an electric rotary mower. I think now the grand
:majority of reel-mower users are golf courses, so the price for
:sharpening them will be high, given the small market.

Pretty common in my neck of the woods, where many properties have only
an 6' wide stretch of lawn 22' long. I believe scotts sell a kit that
consists of bar with sandpaper that attaches to the normal bar. You
loosen the blades, to account for the increased thickness, adjust so
it's close, and then push it - forward - for a 30 feet or so. Take it
off, adjust clearance, and you're good to go. I've also done a few
pases with medium-coarse stone, to much the same effect. (don't get
your fingers caught!).

Also, make sure the gear box is properly lubricated.

--
sig 19
Old July 16th 13, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Default Multiple bikes...PIA

McMaster Carr stocks 2 gizmos
Old July 16th 13, 02:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
davethedave[_2_]

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 15:59:29 -0400, Duane wrote:

On 7/15/2013 3:45 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
.....when you have to clean them. We had quite nice weather lately so
not much need for cleaning, but eventually it all gets sticky because
of leaking waterbottles, sn*t, dr**l and dust. Inspired by the
mechanics of the Pro teams in the Tour de France:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1010765...ayCleaningDay?

authkey=Gv1sRgCJ_fu5Si2K6isgE#

You seem to have a nice place to work.

And a couple of those 4 legged historic transport devices which are good
for roses.
--
davethedave

Multiple personalities Bill C Racing 4 August 14th 07 10:36 PM
(OT) Multiple Posts Sorni General 8 February 8th 06 11:58 PM
(OT) Multiple Posts Sorni Mountain Biking 7 February 8th 06 11:58 PM
(OT) Multiple Posts Sorni Techniques 7 February 8th 06 11:58 PM
Cycling positions - multiple bikes AMO UK 2 July 10th 05 04:44 PM