How to replace front shifter cable on Ergo levers

Old July 19th 13, 01:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Default How to replace front shifter cable on Ergo levers

The shifter cable arrived yesterday. Now I need to replace the frayed
cable. Any clues on how? Web searches brought up instructions for
rebuilding the lever; I don't want to rebuild the lever, I just want to
replace the shift cable. Alas, it's really hard to see anything with
these levers.

Thanks,

--
Joe Riel

Old July 19th 13, 01:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Joe Riel writes:

The shifter cable arrived yesterday. Now I need to replace the frayed
cable. Any clues on how? Web searches brought up instructions for
rebuilding the lever; I don't want to rebuild the lever, I just want to
replace the shift cable. Alas, it's really hard to see anything with
these levers.

Figured it out. Once I cut what was left of the frayed cable, it
was pretty easy to see what to do. I can see why a cable-end that
is too tight would be a bear to remove; removing the proper sized
one wasn't trivial.

Clamping the frame upside in the bike stand simplified the
operation---now gravity is helping to pull the end out. Had to cut off
all the frayed strands, then managed to dig the end out with a sharp
awl.

--
Joe Riel
Old July 19th 13, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/18/2013 7:13 PM, Joe Riel wrote:
The shifter cable arrived yesterday. Now I need to replace the frayed
cable. Any clues on how? Web searches brought up instructions for
rebuilding the lever; I don't want to rebuild the lever, I just want to
replace the shift cable. Alas, it's really hard to see anything with
these levers.

Thanks,

Shift lever to low (inside front) gear.
Roll the rubber cover back from the handlebar edge on the
outside. You can see the cable carrier and the path clearly.
Slip the wire up through the carrier into the cable housing.

If it's not totally obvious, look at the right side.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/