toes go numb while riding

Old July 20th 13, 09:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gus

Default toes go numb while riding

I did not notice this happening till maybe around early 40s, but my toes go
numb--painfully so-- when I ride a ride. Happens fairly quickly in a ride,
even just a mile to the grocery. Doctor did not find anything wrong such as
diabetes or foot problems. When it first started happening, other cyclists
suggested using clip-ons and good pair clip on shoes with a hard sole. So I
bought some decent shoes and bought pedals on one side clip-on / toe clips.
(Toe clips and sneakers for short rides in the city such as to work,
grocery, library, etc.)

Used the clip ons dozen or so times and still same problem. Really did not
notice much if any improvement as opposed to just using sneakers and toe
clips like I had for years. I love riding, so tough through it and try
wiggling my toes periodically. It goes away slowly after maybe 15-60
minutes when I stop riding.

Have other cyclists had this problem as they have gotten older? I'm about
50 now, and have had the problem 7-8 years. I wonder if it is nerve damage
from the decades of cycling? Also, my hands don't seem to handle holding me
up on the handlebar as well either. Nothing goes numb; just not as
comfortable anymore, even with decent padded gloves. Maybe I am just
getting old and fat?

Old July 20th 13, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan

"Gus" writes:

[...]

You may want to go for a full nuorological workup - maybe
first a full physical and blood tests for vitamin deficiency.

That said, I can relate to all of these experiences (just
over 50 myself). So it's not as if there must be something
terribly unusual going on.

(Have you ever tried Shimano SPD sandals - those are really
great!)
Old July 20th 13, 11:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
LF

My $0.02, Try largish flat pedals, such as BMX, and sandals. THe more support in the pedal, and the less restriction to the toes, the better. If that works, you can become a shoe-bee (sandals with sox) in the winter. Wool sox with waterproof over sox work well in the cold.
Good luck,
Larry
Old July 21st 13, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, July 20, 2013 4:15:14 PM UTC-4, Gus wrote:
[...]

Hi Gus.

Just some ideas. Are your socks or shoes snug? They could be cutting off circulation as the foot expands a bit. How about where the sock send on your legs? Are they snug or tight there? How is your foot position on the pedal? As we age our feet change and what was comfortable when young may nt be comfortable now.

Cheers
Old July 21st 13, 01:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Hard soles shoes are good to prevent foot cramps but i dont see how they
would help numbness. Numb toes is not something I've seen before.
Something restricting blood flow?
--
duane
Old July 21st 13, 09:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nick[_4_]

On 20/07/2013 22:09, Dan wrote:
"Gus" writes:

[...]

+1 for the sandals. I used to get numb feet feet but haven't had them in
the 10 +years I've been riding with sandals. I use them in winter and
wet weather with sealskinz waterproof socks.

I also got numb hands which I solved by changing to ride with drop bars
which ensure my wrists are always held straight, I think the condition
was call Guyon's canal syndrome
Old July 21st 13, 03:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Saturday, 20 July 2013 21:15:14 UTC+1, Gus wrote:
[...]

Walk a couple of miles a day, scrub your lower legs and feet in clean water each day and stop eating gluten and milk/whey. Eat good fats, greens and ripe fruits. Eat enough good fats to keep your skin oily and enough fruit to keep your belly soft and without pain.

Old July 21st 13, 03:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

[...]

Does it happen at any other time, other than bicycling?

Try a Google search on "peripheral neuropathy" and see if that sounds like your problem.

- Frank Krygowski
Old July 21st 13, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Sunday, 21 July 2013 15:58:27 UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

That sounds like medical copyright gobbledegook to me. What props are needed to support the illusion? Magic box and wand?
Old July 21st 13, 08:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Sunday, 21 July 2013 19:50:19 UTC+1, Phil W Lee wrote:
Dan considered Sat, 20 Jul 2013 14:09:52

-0700 the perfect time to write:

"Gus" writes:

[...]

Particularly vitamin B12 (cobalamin).

Easily fixed with injections of hydroxocobalamin, but low levels cause

nerve damage, which will be permanent if left untreated.

I believe that the sciencey stuff is not a worry for those who eat liver, eggs and greens from the garden.

Numb Toes [email protected] General 16 June 7th 07 02:23 AM
Numb Toes -- Not Shoes? Chas Douglass General 3 May 9th 05 10:42 PM
numb toes Claire Petersky General 14 May 8th 05 06:58 PM
Icey toes! Peter B UK 20 January 25th 05 05:50 PM
Nice day, numb toes Peter Connors UK 6 January 15th 05 03:19 PM