International send-off messages? "Ride well"?

Old November 25th 14, 05:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default International send-off messages? "Ride well"?

America has some serious fears about bicycling. And it's been pointed
out that in America, when someone sets out on a bicycle, it's common to
get warnings, as in "Be safe!" or "Please be careful!" Sometimes,
there's the extra-specific "Watch out for cars!" as if we didn't notice
they were out there. ;-)

I've read that in France, the customary send off is much more pleasant -
something more like "Ride well!" (Perhaps it's stated as "Bon Voyage"?
I've got no French skills.)

We've got readers here from many countries. What sort of send-off
message do you get as you pedal away? Do you hear warnings, or more
pleasant good-byes?

It might be interesting to see how things are said in your native
language, and the English translation.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 25th 14, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, November 25, 2014 12:31:02 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
America has some serious fears about bicycling. And it's been pointed
out that in America, when someone sets out on a bicycle, it's common to
get warnings, as in "Be safe!" or "Please be careful!" Sometimes,
there's the extra-specific "Watch out for cars!" as if we didn't notice
they were out there. ;-)

I've read that in France, the customary send off is much more pleasant -
something more like "Ride well!" (Perhaps it's stated as "Bon Voyage"?
I've got no French skills.)

We've got readers here from many countries. What sort of send-off
message do you get as you pedal away? Do you hear warnings, or more
pleasant good-byes?

It might be interesting to see how things are said in your native
language, and the English translation.

--
- Frank Krygowski

May the wind be at your back and your flats few.

Cheers
Old November 25th 14, 06:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Frank Krygowski:

We've got readers here from many countries. What sort of send-off
message do you get as you pedal away? Do you hear warnings, or more
pleasant good-byes?

It might be interesting to see how things are said in your native
language, and the English translation.

Day-before-yesterday, Southeastern Pennsylvania... I got "Stay Warm"...
from a total stranger outside the local hardware store.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old November 25th 14, 07:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 11/25/2014 1:22 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Frank Krygowski:

We've got readers here from many countries. What sort of send-off
message do you get as you pedal away? Do you hear warnings, or more
pleasant good-byes?

It might be interesting to see how things are said in your native
language, and the English translation.

Day-before-yesterday, Southeastern Pennsylvania... I got "Stay Warm"...
from a total stranger outside the local hardware store.

Last September in Vermont in a down pour we got "you guys must really
love riding your bikes!" from a local at a resto where we stopped for
the facilities.
Old November 25th 14, 07:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

Frank Krygowski schreef op 25-11-2014 18:30:
America has some serious fears about bicycling. And it's been pointed
out that in America, when someone sets out on a bicycle, it's common to
get warnings, as in "Be safe!" or "Please be careful!" Sometimes,
there's the extra-specific "Watch out for cars!" as if we didn't notice
they were out there. ;-)

I've read that in France, the customary send off is much more pleasant -
something more like "Ride well!" (Perhaps it's stated as "Bon Voyage"?
I've got no French skills.)

We've got readers here from many countries. What sort of send-off
message do you get as you pedal away? Do you hear warnings, or more
pleasant good-byes?

It might be interesting to see how things are said in your native
language, and the English translation.

It would be a full time job here so we usually don't say anything. We
wishing everybody always the best we don't need to say that out loud.

Lou
Old November 25th 14, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 26/11/14 04:30, Frank Krygowski wrote:
America has some serious fears about bicycling. And it's been pointed
out that in America, when someone sets out on a bicycle, it's common to
get warnings, as in "Be safe!" or "Please be careful!" Sometimes,
there's the extra-specific "Watch out for cars!" as if we didn't notice
they were out there. ;-)

I've read that in France, the customary send off is much more pleasant -
something more like "Ride well!" (Perhaps it's stated as "Bon Voyage"?
I've got no French skills.)

We've got readers here from many countries. What sort of send-off
message do you get as you pedal away? Do you hear warnings, or more
pleasant good-byes?

It might be interesting to see how things are said in your native
language, and the English translation.

I don't hear warnings. Usually just a simple "See ya", or "Bye". No
different to any other leaving of company.

--
JS
Old November 25th 14, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

What I would like to hear is:

"Ride tall!"

Or even:

"Spread fear to morons!"

Andre Jute
Take the lane!
Old November 26th 14, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, November 25, 2014 11:24:28 AM UTC-8, Duane wrote:
On 11/25/2014 1:22 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Frank Krygowski:

We've got readers here from many countries. What sort of send-off
message do you get as you pedal away? Do you hear warnings, or more
pleasant good-byes?

It might be interesting to see how things are said in your native
language, and the English translation.

Day-before-yesterday, Southeastern Pennsylvania... I got "Stay Warm"...
from a total stranger outside the local hardware store.

Last September in Vermont in a down pour we got "you guys must really
love riding your bikes!" from a local at a resto where we stopped for
the facilities.

I get the "you are so dedicated" thing a lot during the fall and winter, but that's not a send-off. It's usually a random comment by a co-worker or someone in the elevator. On really bad weather days, the subtext is "what the f*** are you thinking?" (it's all in the vocal inflection).

I frequently encounter this one guy at the racks who often says "be careful out there." It's like being in an episode of Hill Street Blues. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2QApwtE8zQ

It also surprises me because this guy has been riding forever -- with no helmet, no special clothes . . . nothing. A dedicated commuter since the '70s, but he loves talking about how crazy it is on the streets.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old November 26th 14, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I was just replying to Pete. I don't think there's any common send off
message. Maybe "have a good ride" or "bonne route" or similar.

Old November 26th 14, 12:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Chaplin

Frank Krygowski wrote in news:m52ec5$gh$1@dont-
email.me:

America has some serious fears about bicycling. And it's been pointed
out that in America, when someone sets out on a bicycle, it's common to
get warnings, as in "Be safe!" or "Please be careful!" Sometimes,
there's the extra-specific "Watch out for cars!" as if we didn't notice
they were out there. ;-)

I've read that in France, the customary send off is much more pleasant -
something more like "Ride well!" (Perhaps it's stated as "Bon Voyage"?
I've got no French skills.)

We've got readers here from many countries. What sort of send-off
message do you get as you pedal away? Do you hear warnings, or more
pleasant good-byes?

It might be interesting to see how things are said in your native
language, and the English translation.

In Canada, French would be "Bonne route!" which is also used to send off
motorists; in English, "Have a good ride!" but "Stay safe!" is often heard,
too.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO