bottom bracket opener with "disc" (?) too far in

Old June 1st 15, 12:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Default bottom bracket opener with "disc" (?) too far in

David Scheidt writes:

I suggest using a bolt or piece of threaded rod as
described on the bottom of he
http://sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html

A bolt or rod?

How will it grab the lockring?

I'm thinking, if it isn't possible to grab the
lockring "in parallel" (which would be the optimal
thing to do), and you can't knock it loose from
a tight angle with a screwdriver and hammer, I suppose
what remains is some kind of fork (the ones for
eating) perpendicular to the lockring (but centered)
which would grab it and then rotate it. It would have
to be more thick than a fork, and grab the lockring
with exact width (precision) otherwise it
wouldn't rotate.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old June 1st 15, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

David Scheidt writes:

Did you look look at the picture?

I did but I didn't understand.

Anyway I found a photo on the web! This is what it
looks like, only the outer part seems to be damaged
just a bit.

On this photo, the lockring is not as much on the
inside as mine, so here it is 50/50 if my tool would
work tho I wouldn't swallow poison it would.

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/bb.jpg

Old June 1st 15, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, May 31, 2015 at 4:19:44 PM UTC-7, Emanuel Berg wrote:
AMuzi writes:

Typical assembly showing left side cup with
lockring: http://www.yellowjersey.org/26wwbb.jpg

It does look like that only the other way around: the
cone is big, and the lock ring is small.

If it looked like that, I think my tool would work.
But now the lockring is inside, covered by the cup,
i.e. too much to the right toward the chainwheel on
the other side, so I can't get a grip.

(the right side cup is on the right in that photo)

Best lockring tool:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/VAR16.JPG

Indeed, that looks great but I don't think that would
work either as there is no room to get that kind of
grip on the inside.

You have one of these, yes?
http://www.yellowjersey.org/HKC205.JPG

Exactly.

Use your hooked wrench similarly to the Var #16
although it won't be as easy to use. Once apart or
at least slack oil the threads which will
help somewhat.

I will, but I don't think the lockring is that stuck.
If only I'd get a grip I don't think getting it loose
would be a problem.

By the way this is a very common BB, perhaps in
particular for one-piece cranks and actually every
second or third of have examined has its lockring too
far in for this tool to work.

Do you have an Ashtabula crank? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVWBEI1rvjk If so, you should be able to remove the notched cone with your hands. Otherwise, you'll need a pin spanner or something like it.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old June 1st 15, 01:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

jbeattie writes:

Do you have an Ashtabula crank?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVWBEI1rvjk

If so, you should be able to remove the notched cone
with your hands. Otherwise, you'll need a pin
spanner or something like it.

OK, case closed. It is an Ashtabula crank and a
pin spanner is what I need. I didn't know those
existed but looking at pictures from Google Images
I realize that's exactly the thing that will work.
Thank you and everyone else. Feel free to continue the
discussion, of course.

Old June 1st 15, 01:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, May 31, 2015 at 8:13:54 PM UTC-4, Emanuel Berg wrote:
jbeattie writes:

Do you have an Ashtabula crank?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVWBEI1rvjk

If so, you should be able to remove the notched cone
with your hands. Otherwise, you'll need a pin
spanner or something like it.

OK, case closed. It is an Ashtabula crank and a
pin spanner is what I need. I didn't know those
existed but looking at pictures from Google Images
I realize that's exactly the thing that will work.
Thank you and everyone else. Feel free to continue the
discussion, of course.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

See now why knowing proper bicycle terminology is a good thing? Had you said in your original post that you have an Ashabula crank, people could have immediately given you the right advice.

Cheers
Old June 1st 15, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Sir Ridesalot writes:

See now why knowing proper bicycle terminology is
a good thing?

I see that but I don't see that "now", proof of which
I was the one who brought it up in this threads
first post.

Old June 1st 15, 03:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, May 31, 2015 at 4:50:43 PM UTC-7, Emanuel Berg wrote:
David Scheidt writes:

Did you look look at the picture?

I did but I didn't understand.

Anyway I found a photo on the web! This is what it
looks like, only the outer part seems to be damaged
just a bit.

On this photo, the lockring is not as much on the
inside as mine, so here it is 50/50 if my tool would
work tho I wouldn't swallow poison it would.

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/bb.jpg

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

Yup, your wrench is not going to work. You need to whack it with a screw driver or drift or chisel -- Muzi would know. I've never worked on that kind of BB.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 1st 15, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

jbeattie writes:

Yup, your wrench is not going to work. You need to
whack it with a screw driver or drift or chisel --
Muzi would know. I've never worked on that kind
of BB.

Well, simple tools are not expensive nowadays so
I think I can afford a pin spanner especially since
those cranks are very common

Old June 1st 15, 12:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Mon, 01 Jun 2015 01:56:16 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

David Scheidt writes:

Did you look look at the picture?

I did but I didn't understand.

Anyway I found a photo on the web! This is what it
looks like, only the outer part seems to be damaged
just a bit.

On this photo, the lockring is not as much on the
inside as mine, so here it is 50/50 if my tool would
work tho I wouldn't swallow poison it would.

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/bb.jpg

The bike seems to be upside down but it appears to be the L.H. side of
the B.B. which is, I believe the adjustable side. If so you first
loosen the lock ring, which is usually the outer ring, in order to
remove the inner adjustable cone, don't you?
See:
http://www.madegood.org/bikes/repair...ottom-bracket/
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 1st 15, 01:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/31/2015 6:25 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
AMuzi writes:

[...]

Ahh, jargon rears its ugly rear.
This, right?
http://www.yellowjersey.org/ashta.jpg

Use any big wrench on the locknut. It's reverse threaded.
Once loose, the cone usually turns with fingertips or if not
any implement such as a screwdriver. Again, oil treads which
can be very helpful.

To remove this crank form the bicycle you will need to
remove the left side pedal first. That's much easier if done
before the bearing assembly is loose.

p.s. Didn't you write about this a few months ago?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/