Educate me on MTB shifters/derailleurs

Old June 17th 15, 12:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N[_2_]

Default Educate me on MTB shifters/derailleurs

Hi all,

long time since I've been here, mostly because my own bicycle needs have been well met and I haven't had to do anything beyond basic maintenance for a while now (touch wood.)

A friend has been given an old rather indifferent unsuspended MTB and asked me if I'd fix it up and make it rideable as she'd like to start using it. It's not worth paying to take to a bike shop for a tuneup but at a glance looks like that and a new chain, tubes, and cables would get it most of the way there, so it's not completely hopeless. And of course crappy bike is still better than no bike and it can always be passed on to someone who needs it if something better comes along.

One thing that does definitely need some parts thrown at it is the shifters; it appears that the shifters and brake levers are integrated. Both derailleurs are Shimano, didn't note the group but it wasn't particularly high end looking. The rear shifter has come apart and is missing pieces so I assume I'm looking for new brake levers and also shifters. I believe the drivetrain is 24 or 27 speed. Brakes are v-brakes.

Is this enough information to go shopping, and what would you recommend? Or are there other considerations like different years/lines etc. of Shimano components used different ring spacings or pull ratios etc. and what do I need to know/find out?

I've been paying attention primarily to road components for the past however many years so this is a little outside my knowledge base, however I'm confident if I can get the right parts in front of me I can make it live again..

thanks!

nate
Old June 17th 15, 12:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

ask the vendor

http://timoelliott.com/blog/wp-conte.../06/image6.jpg

Old June 17th 15, 12:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, June 17, 2015 at 7:37:24 AM UTC-4, N8N wrote:
[...]

You need to be sure whether it's 8 or 9 cogs on the rear hub because that'll determine which shifters/brake levers you'll need. That's beecause 9 speed won't shift an 8 speed cogset properly and vice versa.You might be able to get some used ones at a bicycle co-op if there's one near you. Sometimes a bicycle shop will have used ones left over from when someone upgraded to higher end stuff.

Cheers
Old June 17th 15, 02:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/17/2015 6:37 AM, N8N wrote:
[...]

If it's a low end machine, a top shifter for about $10 is
one solution. You can position around the dead shift pod or
cut it off if space is tight.

On a nicer bicycle, get a pair of integrated shift/brake
levers, start about $40. Note that the brake levers are
specific to either linear brake or cantilever.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 17th 15, 02:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N[_2_]

On Wednesday, June 17, 2015 at 9:07:50 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/17/2015 6:37 AM, N8N wrote:
[...]

Thanks guys. I'll definitely verify the cassette, any particular brands/models of components I should be looking for? e.g. Shimano "whatever" or SRAM "xxxx"?

Probably going to be scavenging the used bin @ LBS and/or hitting fleaBay unless prices for new are so inexpensive that it's not worth the effort.

thanks again

nate
Old June 17th 15, 03:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 6/17/2015 6:37 AM, N8N wrote:
[...]

Evil Bay + shipping might be more than the local bike shop price.

I'd take the bike to a decent shop, have them look at the components on the bike and tthen recommend the replacement.

Cheers
Old June 17th 15, 03:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N[_2_]

On 6/17/2015 6:37 AM, N8N wrote:
[...]

That's the issue, despite the fact that I live in a major metropolitan area, there's really only one bike shop that I know of that caters to the bargain basement, not pretty but actually used as tools bikes, the rest are chain e.g. Performance or else even though I may like them the others all cater to a bit more wealthy/upscale clientele (e.g. lots of carbon, Dura-Ace, etc. - stuff that I like, but isn't going to get used on this project G I think biggest expenditure on this is going to be some Phil grease and new bearing balls and cables...)

Just trying to educate myself up front so that I know what I'm looking at. e.g. for road stuff if I have to buy a new component I try to make it 105 or higher even on a cheap bike, theory being that you want to use "good" stuff to replace what's failed as if it already failed it was obviously the weak link. what's the equivalent break point between "good" and just "cheap" in MTB stuff? Deore? Deore XT?

nate
Old June 18th 15, 12:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://www.google.com/#q=shifters%2...rsalcycles.com

call or email