Any thoughts on athlete's enlarged heart due to cycling?

Old February 10th 17, 05:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Any thoughts on athlete's enlarged heart due to cycling?

What do you guys think of the writings of Leonard Zinn, such as this article:

http://www.velonews.com/2016/01/bike...-issues_393197

concerning cyclists who have heart attacks later in life due to having an enlarged heart?

Do some people have a genetic predisposition to the condition?

Old February 10th 17, 10:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 20:54:09 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

What do you guys think of the writings of Leonard Zinn, such as this article:

http://www.velonews.com/2016/01/bike...-issues_393197

concerning cyclists who have heart attacks later in life due to having an enlarged heart?

Do some people have a genetic predisposition to the condition?

I think that you are looking at only a very small portion of the
problem.

If you look at the Mayo Clinic site they list at last 9 different
reasons for an enlarged heart and also comment that it may cause you
no problems at all.

Did the guy have any other problems? Hyper or hypo tension or ? Slow
heart rate? Kidney or liver problems? High cholesterol or other
circulation problems?

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old February 10th 17, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Basketballers die from cardiac arrythmia.

I bruised my cardiac sack from bending over working, I'm 6/4. Difficult recovery. Pseudo attack, valve inop.

Outside the touring envelope but suggestive.

Medicals state cycle psitive jams torso organs n is unhealthy. Bottom end spirtswise.

3) OEM bar length caters to greater profit n imaginary aero benefits not lung efficiency. Try this one ...itsa poss mindbender.

The basketball parallel exists as an extended top end interval over training or top end on road/hill with undertraining but the parallel rests on long term, ie running up n down the pro court under duress, practice.

He ran a short game then laid down n died.

Old February 12th 17, 08:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

wrote:
What do you guys think of the writings of Leonard Zinn, such as this
article:

I take Lennard with a large grain of salt. I've seen him get enough
stuff about bikes wrong over the years, although it's also been at least
15 years since I've read any of his articles. I would use a larger
grain of salt when it comes to Lennard writing about medical stuff. I
work in health care and see time and time again that non-medical writers
screw up interpretation of studies and publish inaccurate information
more often than they get it right.

http://www.velonews.com/2016/01/bike...-issues_393197

concerning cyclists who have heart attacks later in life due to having
an enlarged heart?

The evidence overwhelmingly shows that people who engage in regular
aerobic exercise have fewer heart attacks and that, when they do, they
are likelier to have a better outcome. People who exercise regularly
also tend to maintain cognitive functioning better longer, are at
soemwhat lower risk for all forms of dementia and if they do develop it
tend to do so later in life.

The problem with atributing things like ventricular hypertrophy, etc.,
to activities like cycling is that those things also develop in people
who don't evercise. Would the person have gotten those problems even if
they didn't ride bike?

Do some people have a genetic predisposition to the condition?

Maybe. But not necessarily. There are lots of other causes of heart
problems. Hyperthyoidism, for example, can cause atrial fibrillation.

The athletes who do develop cardiac problems from exercise are more than
likely those on Olympic-caliber training regimens. This is a level of
training that exceeds what almost anyone who has a day job can manage.
Even most Cat 1s don't come near that level of training. Or they are
people who already have a genetic or congenital risk factor and probably
would have developed those heart problems if they did no exercise.
Old February 14th 17, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

What do you guys think of the writings of Leonard Zinn, such as this article:
http://www.velonews.com/2016/01/bike...-issues_393197
concerning cyclists who have heart attacks later in life due to having an enlarged heart?

Do some people have a genetic predisposition to the condition?

That would be me. Both my parents, all of their brothers, and most of
their sisters, had cardiac issues. My father had a stroke at 86 which
eventually killed him. My mother had a fatal heart attack at 56. I'm
currently 69. Choose your parents wisely.

I started having problems in 2001, at the age of 53 which resulted in
a triple bypass operation. That held together for 15 years, when I
had to have two stents installed because the bypasses were clogged
with plaque. I also went to rehab for about 15 sessions to see what I
could tolerate and (among other things) to teach me how to properly do
exercise. I also discovered that I had PVC (premature ventricular
contractions) which drives the heart monitor nuts, but otherwise
doesn't seem to have much of an effect.

The basic pitch was to do aerobic exercise, which requires the heart
to pump oxygenated blood to various muscles. Aerobic exercise
increases the heart rate and breathing rate to increase in a way that
can be sustained for the exercise session. Bicycling is considered an
aerobic exercise and was recommended by the physical therapist. Most
of the machines that I used in rehab were something resembling a
bicycle. In other words, if you do have some kind of heart condition,
bicycling will probably be the recommended treatment.

I don't know anything about enlarged heart problems, since I don't
have the problem. This might help:
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/enlarged-heart/symptoms-causes/dxc-20305824

However, I do have some opinions on the article. It should be evident
from the reader comments that everyone is more than a little
different. The heart is a complex organ and can fail in a wide
variety of ways. If you continue reading such horror stories, you're
going to develop symptomitis or hypochondria. I suspect that fear
will cause more problems than exercise.

I'm told that any extreme can be bad for you. I presume that includes
cycling. Like any machine, if you work it to its limit over and over
again, you'll eventually break it. That's also part of the theory
behind cross training. The same applies to your body.

Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old February 16th 17, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I had a good friend who unexpectedly died of the condition about a year ago.. He was always a much stronger rider than I was, and had a much lower resting heart rate, which I take to mean that his heart was larger than mine. My layman's theory on the subject (and of course I realize that I don't know what I am talking about because I am not a doctor) is that some people are genetically predisposed to greatly increase their heart size with aerobic exercise, and some people are not so predisposed. And when an athlete has developed a large heart due to strenuous exercise when young, his heart has difficulty dealing with its excessive pumping capacity when he gets older and doesn't exercise as hard as he used to.
Old February 16th 17, 03:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 5:59:23 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I had a good friend who unexpectedly died of the condition about a year ago. He was always a much stronger rider than I was, and had a much lower resting heart rate, which I take to mean that his heart was larger than mine. My layman's theory on the subject (and of course I realize that I don't know what I am talking about because I am not a doctor) is that some people are genetically predisposed to greatly increase their heart size with aerobic exercise, and some people are not so predisposed. And when an athlete has developed a large heart due to strenuous exercise when young, his heart has difficulty dealing with its excessive pumping capacity when he gets older and doesn't exercise as hard as he used to.

It varies by exercise. Weightlifters get enlarged hearts, I read, whereas cyclists, or was it runners, do not. Rowers are in between as the compression stroke is a bit like weightlifting.
Old February 16th 17, 07:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 17:59:21 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I had a good friend who unexpectedly died of the condition about a year ago. He was always a much stronger rider than I was, and had a much lower resting heart rate, which I take to mean that his heart was larger than mine. My layman's theory on the subject (and of course I realize that I don't know what I am talking about because I am not a doctor) is that some people are genetically predisposed to greatly increase their heart size with aerobic exercise, and some people are not so predisposed. And when an athlete has developed a large heart due to strenuous exercise when young, his heart has difficulty dealing with its excessive pumping capacity when he gets older and doesn't exercise as hard as he used to.

I believe that you are confusing "Athletic Heart Syndrome" with the
"enlarged heart" or "hypertrophic cardiomyopathy"'
http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condit...p#.WKVCxT7NX7g

Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy usually is inherited. It's caused by a
change in some of the genes in heart muscle proteins. HCM also can
develop over time because of high blood pressure or aging. Diseases
such as diabetes or thyroid disease can cause hypertrophic
cardiomyopathy. However, the cause of the disease isn't known.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...s/dxc-20305824

"An enlarged heart can be caused by conditions that cause your heart
to pump harder than usual or that damage your heart muscle. Sometimes
the heart enlarges and becomes weak for unknown reasons (idiopathic).
A heart condition you're born with (congenital), damage from a heart
attack or an abnormal heartbeat (arrhythmia) can cause your heart to
enlarge."

The condition called "Athletic Heart Syndrome" See
https://www.completehumanperformance...letes-heart-2/

"If athlete\u2019s heart\u201d was a sign, or form, of heart disease,
you would expect two things to be true:
1. Training that increases heart size should decrease heart function.
2. Athletes with large hearts should have poorer heart function than
non-athletes.

Neither of these conclusions are usually true.
First, training that increases heart and coronary artery size
generally improves heart function or has no effect.(14-19)
Second, endurance athletes with large hearts tend to have as good or
better heart and blood vessel function compared to healthy
non-athletes and other athletes.(20-47)

This is also true for football(48-50), handball(51,52), tennis(53),
soccer(54), hockey(55), and basketball players.(56-58)

or
http://www.merckmanuals.com/professi...2%80%99s-heart

"Athlete's heart is a constellation of structural and functional
changes that occur in the heart of people who train for 1 h most
days. The changes are asymptomatic; signs include bradycardia, a
systolic murmur, and extra heart sounds. ECG abnormalities are common.
Diagnosis is clinical or by echocardiography. No treatment is
necessary. Athlete's heart is significant because it must be
distinguished from serious cardiac disorders.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old February 16th 17, 09:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 6:26:50 PM UTC-8, Doug Landau wrote:
[...]

Think I meant thicker walls. It's thicker walls that weightlifters get, and that rowers get to a lesser extent.
Old February 17th 17, 01:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 12:37:09 -0800 (PST), Doug Landau
wrote:

[...]

Actually weight lifters tend to suffer from a artery problem known as
"Aortic Dissection" see:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/33...rt-your-heart/

"A study by cardiothoracic surgeons at Yale-New Haven Hospital in
December of 2003 proved that there is a strong link between heart
problems and weight lifting, and strength training as a whole. Dr.
Elefteriades, who led the study, says that the study was conducted on
five healthy individuals who suffered a condition called aortic
dissection during weight lifting. The study showed that heavy weight
lifting can lead to a rise in blood pressure to almost 300.

What is Aortic Dissection

If you are into lifting weights and have a family history of heart
problems, you need to be aware of the condition called aortic
dissection. Aortic dissection is a condition where the wall of the
aorta splits. The splitting of the aortic walls allows blood, already
under high pressure due to strenuous lifting, enter the heart, causing
sharp and stabbing pain. The condition is generally lethal, unless
surgery is performed."

I believe you are confusing "Athletic heart syndrome, (AHS) also known
as athlete's heart, athletic bradycardia, or exercise-induced
cardiomegaly is a nonpathological condition commonly seen in sports
medicine, in which the human heart is enlarged, and the resting heart
rate is lower than normal.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletic_heart_syndrome

The athlete's heart is associated with physiological remodeling as a
consequence of repetitive cardiac loading. Athlete's heart is common
in athletes who routinely exercise more than an hour a day, and occurs
primarily in endurance athletes,"

--
Cheers,

John B.