I hate having to buy a gruppo

Old April 28th 17, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default I hate having to buy a gruppo

Hope this doesn't violate the groups rules or anything, but I am going crazy trying to find a gruppo on ebay.com. I haven't bought a component group for years and am unfamiliar with the current market offerings. Would you guys do me a big favor and give me some links to good deals on a complete new groupset for an older Italian road bike, with a compact crankset. Campy, Shimano, SRAM or even brand X might be OK. Doesn't have to be fancy. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
Old April 28th 17, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Related question: in view of the fact that you seem to get the gruppo so cheaply when you buy a new bike, does it even make economic sense to buy a new groupset for an old bike?
Old April 28th 17, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 9:16:58 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Related question: in view of the fact that you seem to get the gruppo so cheaply when you buy a new bike, does it even make economic sense to buy a new groupset for an old bike?

The only thing that actually makes economic sense is to watch CL until a garage queen with 100 miles comes along for $150.

Old April 28th 17, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 9:16:58 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Related question: in view of the fact that you seem to get the gruppo so cheaply when you buy a new bike, does it even make economic sense to buy a new groupset for an old bike?

It depends on the old bike. An old French bike, no. They don't make French groups. An old Italian bike, maybe. You could get this: https://www.probikekit.com/cycling-g.../10970750.html You'll have to order the Dura Ace Italian BB separately. Real bargain -- no offense to the bricks-and-mortar guys.

If I had an old Italian bike, I'd upgrade to get a compact and a wider gear range. I'd also be prepared to cold-set the rear end (which isn't hard) and build a new rear wheel. I'd also make sure the brake drop is compatible. I'd do all of these things if I really liked the frame or just wanted a handy second bike. It would cost you a whole lot more to get an entire bike of the same quality.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 28th 17, 06:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Wow, you're right, Jay, that is really a smokin' deal.

I am just about to go ahead and order it, except:

Is there any way to convert the braze-on front derailleur to a clamp?

And I wonder how much extra the Shimano 105 bottom bracket would cost?
Old April 28th 17, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 10:53:03 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Wow, you're right, Jay, that is really a smokin' deal.

I am just about to go ahead and order it, except:

Is there any way to convert the braze-on front derailleur to a clamp?

And I wonder how much extra the Shimano 105 bottom bracket would cost?

Yes, separate claims for braze-on FDs are widely available. e.g. https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-d.../10769290.html

I can walk down the street and buy an Ultegra Italiano BB for $19.99: https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...VgfgodQbE AKQ

I might even get a discount because I'm a LEADER'S CLUB member. I repeat, not a loser follower. A LEADER!

Your expense will be respacing the rear triangle and getting an 11sp compatible rear hub -- assuming you don't want to do it at home. And you'll have to make the investment in a BB wrench -- if you don't have one for another bike, and a cassette tool. Also consider a decent torque wrench to get the pinch-bolts on the crank just right. Modern technology comes at a price.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 29th 17, 03:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 10:53:03 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Wow, you're right, Jay, that is really a smokin' deal.

I am just about to go ahead and order it, except:

Is there any way to convert the braze-on front derailleur to a clamp?

And I wonder how much extra the Shimano 105 bottom bracket would cost?

I recommend against 11 speed groups. They wear so fast that you seem 6 month old groups for sale all the time.

10 speed groups are common and useful.

Shimano no lower than Ultegra and Campy no lower than Chorus unless you're a good mechanic and don't mind adjusting stuff all the time.
Old April 29th 17, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 11:22:26 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

How do you respace aluminum or carbon frames?

I REALLY like my steel frames now.
Old April 29th 17, 08:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, April 29, 2017 at 7:34:34 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 10:53:03 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Wow, you're right, Jay, that is really a smokin' deal.

I am just about to go ahead and order it, except:

Is there any way to convert the braze-on front derailleur to a clamp?

And I wonder how much extra the Shimano 105 bottom bracket would cost?

I recommend against 11 speed groups. They wear so fast that you seem 6 month old groups for sale all the time.

10 speed groups are common and useful.

Shimano no lower than Ultegra and Campy no lower than Chorus unless you're a good mechanic and don't mind adjusting stuff all the time.

I use 105 on my commuter, and its bullet proof. Ultegra is certainly prettier.

I've respaced a first-generation Cannondale frame, and it was brutal -- obviously you don't respace CF, but then again, I'm not aware of any sub-130mm rear CF frames, although maybe the first Calfee or Trek from a zillion years ago was 126mm.

I'm not ragging on steel, if that's what you think. I'm just pointing out that changes will have to be made. Use a toe-clip strap around the brake bridge to avoid cracking (which I've done and then had to rebraze).

For me, jury is out on 11sp. I have it on one bike which is too young to need a chain replacement. 9sp on my commuter. 10sp on the SuperSix.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 30th 17, 08:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, April 29, 2017 at 12:34:06 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

105 is bulletproof but also it isn't repairable if something does break. And I don't like having to do that double bend on the new version shift wires.