A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

I hate having to buy a gruppo

Old April 28th 17, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default I hate having to buy a gruppo

Hope this doesn't violate the groups rules or anything, but I am going crazy trying to find a gruppo on ebay.com. I haven't bought a component group for years and am unfamiliar with the current market offerings. Would you guys do me a big favor and give me some links to good deals on a complete new groupset for an older Italian road bike, with a compact crankset. Campy, Shimano, SRAM or even brand X might be OK. Doesn't have to be fancy. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
Ads
Old April 28th 17, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Related question: in view of the fact that you seem to get the gruppo so cheaply when you buy a new bike, does it even make economic sense to buy a new groupset for an old bike?
Old April 28th 17, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau
external usenet poster

On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 9:16:58 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Related question: in view of the fact that you seem to get the gruppo so cheaply when you buy a new bike, does it even make economic sense to buy a new groupset for an old bike?

The only thing that actually makes economic sense is to watch CL until a garage queen with 100 miles comes along for $150.

Old April 28th 17, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 9:16:58 AM UTC-7, wrote:

It depends on the old bike. An old French bike, no. They don't make French groups. An old Italian bike, maybe. You could get this: https://www.probikekit.com/cycling-g.../10970750.html You'll have to order the Dura Ace Italian BB separately. Real bargain -- no offense to the bricks-and-mortar guys.

If I had an old Italian bike, I'd upgrade to get a compact and a wider gear range. I'd also be prepared to cold-set the rear end (which isn't hard) and build a new rear wheel. I'd also make sure the brake drop is compatible. I'd do all of these things if I really liked the frame or just wanted a handy second bike. It would cost you a whole lot more to get an entire bike of the same quality.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 28th 17, 06:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Wow, you're right, Jay, that is really a smokin' deal.

I am just about to go ahead and order it, except:

Is there any way to convert the braze-on front derailleur to a clamp?

And I wonder how much extra the Shimano 105 bottom bracket would cost?
Old April 28th 17, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 10:53:03 AM UTC-7, wrote:

Yes, separate claims for braze-on FDs are widely available. e.g. https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-d.../10769290.html

I can walk down the street and buy an Ultegra Italiano BB for $19.99: https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...VgfgodQbE AKQ

I might even get a discount because I'm a LEADER'S CLUB member. I repeat, not a loser follower. A LEADER!

Your expense will be respacing the rear triangle and getting an 11sp compatible rear hub -- assuming you don't want to do it at home. And you'll have to make the investment in a BB wrench -- if you don't have one for another bike, and a cassette tool. Also consider a decent torque wrench to get the pinch-bolts on the crank just right. Modern technology comes at a price.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 29th 17, 03:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I recommend against 11 speed groups. They wear so fast that you seem 6 month old groups for sale all the time.

10 speed groups are common and useful.

Shimano no lower than Ultegra and Campy no lower than Chorus unless you're a good mechanic and don't mind adjusting stuff all the time.
Old April 29th 17, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 11:22:26 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:

Yes, separate claims for braze-on FDs are widely available. e.g. https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-d.../10769290.html

I can walk down the street and buy an Ultegra Italiano BB for $19.99: https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...VgfgodQbE AKQ

I might even get a discount because I'm a LEADER'S CLUB member. I repeat, not a loser follower. A LEADER!

Your expense will be respacing the rear triangle and getting an 11sp compatible rear hub -- assuming you don't want to do it at home. And you'll have to make the investment in a BB wrench -- if you don't have one for another bike, and a cassette tool. Also consider a decent torque wrench to get the pinch-bolts on the crank just right. Modern technology comes at a price.

How do you respace aluminum or carbon frames?

I REALLY like my steel frames now.
Old April 29th 17, 08:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

On Saturday, April 29, 2017 at 7:34:34 AM UTC-7, wrote:

I recommend against 11 speed groups. They wear so fast that you seem 6 month old groups for sale all the time.

Shimano no lower than Ultegra and Campy no lower than Chorus unless you're a good mechanic and don't mind adjusting stuff all the time.

I use 105 on my commuter, and its bullet proof. Ultegra is certainly prettier.

I've respaced a first-generation Cannondale frame, and it was brutal -- obviously you don't respace CF, but then again, I'm not aware of any sub-130mm rear CF frames, although maybe the first Calfee or Trek from a zillion years ago was 126mm.

I'm not ragging on steel, if that's what you think. I'm just pointing out that changes will have to be made. Use a toe-clip strap around the brake bridge to avoid cracking (which I've done and then had to rebraze).

For me, jury is out on 11sp. I have it on one bike which is too young to need a chain replacement. 9sp on my commuter. 10sp on the SuperSix.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 30th 17, 08:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, April 29, 2017 at 12:34:06 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, April 29, 2017 at 7:34:34 AM UTC-7, wrote:

I use 105 on my commuter, and its bullet proof. Ultegra is certainly prettier.

I've respaced a first-generation Cannondale frame, and it was brutal -- obviously you don't respace CF, but then again, I'm not aware of any sub-130mm rear CF frames, although maybe the first Calfee or Trek from a zillion years ago was 126mm.

I'm not ragging on steel, if that's what you think. I'm just pointing out that changes will have to be made. Use a toe-clip strap around the brake bridge to avoid cracking (which I've done and then had to rebraze).

For me, jury is out on 11sp. I have it on one bike which is too young to need a chain replacement. 9sp on my commuter. 10sp on the SuperSix.

-- Jay Beattie.

105 is bulletproof but also it isn't repairable if something does break. And I don't like having to do that double bend on the new version shift wires.