painting small steel frame damages

Old May 5th 17, 07:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default painting small steel frame damages

I can't really argue with you, Gene, except for the problem of masking after the sandblasting. It seems that inevitably the powder coat guy doesn't mask something that should have been masked (and then you have to remove the overspray; can be very tedious) or he masks something that shouldn't have been masked, and then it looks like hell. I like to do my own masking job.

Overall, I haven't found powder coat to be that much more durable than single-stage urethane enamel. They each have their strong points. Yes, powder coat has a lot more surface hardness, but how hard a paint do you really need on a bike? Whereas urethane is more flexible and therefore doesn't tend to crack as much. A fortiori because I'm spraying the low-VOC California product and find it to be a very good paint giving excellent results.
Old May 5th 17, 08:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, May 5, 2017 at 11:49:28 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I can't really argue with you, Gene, except for the problem of masking after the sandblasting. It seems that inevitably the powder coat guy doesn't mask something that should have been masked (and then you have to remove the overspray; can be very tedious) or he masks something that shouldn't have been masked, and then it looks like hell. I like to do my own masking job..

Overall, I haven't found powder coat to be that much more durable than single-stage urethane enamel. They each have their strong points. Yes, powder coat has a lot more surface hardness, but how hard a paint do you really need on a bike? Whereas urethane is more flexible and therefore doesn't tend to crack as much. A fortiori because I'm spraying the low-VOC California product and find it to be a very good paint giving excellent results.

That's pretty funny - we have an entire string of having to touch up scratches on bicycle paint and you ask "how hard a paint do you really need on a bike".

And the point where by Colnago B-stay enters the frame carrier the urethane paint cracked all around it because of the movement between the B-stand and the frame and you say "urethane is more flexible and therefore doesn't tend to crack as much".

Obviously our experiences are exactly opposite.
Old May 5th 17, 08:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Friday, May 5, 2017 at 1:01:34 AM UTC-7, wrote:
no machinery is as compelling as a 275 GTB with nose blasted clean of paint

Looks like a Triumph
Old May 5th 17, 08:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Fri, 5 May 2017 11:49:26 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I can't really argue with you, Gene, except for the problem of masking after the sandblasting. It seems that inevitably the powder coat guy doesn't mask something that should have been masked (and then you have to remove the overspray; can be very tedious) or he masks something that shouldn't have been masked, and then it looks like hell. I like to do my own masking job.

Overall, I haven't found powder coat to be that much more durable than single-stage urethane enamel. They each have their strong points. Yes, powder coat has a lot more surface hardness, but how hard a paint do you really need on a bike? Whereas urethane is more flexible and therefore doesn't tend to crack as much. A fortiori because I'm spraying the low-VOC California product and find it to be a very good paint giving excellent results.

The problem with PC is once you get a break, it releases in sheats -
- - - It often physically stays on, but allows moisture to wick in
underneath and corrodes the heck out of the metal it is supposed to
protect..... SOME paints do that too, but with a proper primer and
proper preparation, paint beats powder coating hands down in my
books.
Old May 5th 17, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Almost any city has locations that will
sandblast and powdercoat a frame and fork.
This procedure is dirt cheap and the finish
extremely long lasting if not the height of
glossy finishes.

Ha ha, if I went to an establishment which you
describe with some of my frames they would
probably be stunned. Also, it would require me
to strip the bike. No, what I'm talking about
is a quick DIY fix. That said, the result is
not that bad. But please continue your
discussion of any methods to paint or re-paint
a bike, it doesn't bother me

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old May 5th 17, 10:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:

Yes, something like that. For example, many
people don't know that adding a bit of blue
to a bright orange will tone down its
brightness, muting it a bit toward brown.
I had that problem with one frame I was
touching up.

I know the RGB color model of computers!
Here are the colors I use in a Linux virtual
terminal, the teletypewriters (ttys):

normal bright
bk r g y bl m c w bk r g y bl m c w
r 0 255 0 190 100 175 0 150 90 255 0 255 125 235 90 210
g 0 50 150 190 100 100 180 150 90 75 180 127 125 75 255 180
b 0 50 0 0 255 0 180 150 90 75 0 0 255 235 255 140

With a brush and a bunch of color cans, it
should be much harder to get the color one
desires, than just mixing red, green, and
blue...

Old May 6th 17, 01:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, May 5, 2017 at 3:57:28 PM UTC-4, Doug Landau wrote:
On Friday, May 5, 2017 at 1:01:34 AM UTC-7, wrote:
no machinery is as compelling as a 275 GTB with nose blasted clean of paint

Looks like a Triumph

http://images.hgmsites.net/lrg/1965-...00473657_l.jpg

https://www.google.com/#q=COLOR+MATC...MPUETRS&spf=75

PAINT TO RIDE OR RIDE TO PAINT ?
Old May 6th 17, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://www.google.com/search?q=colo...iw=360&bih=616

? most prob foop but if ur obsessed go see
Old May 6th 17, 02:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Emanuel Berg writes:

Frank Krygowski wrote:

Yes, something like that. For example, many
people don't know that adding a bit of blue
to a bright orange will tone down its
brightness, muting it a bit toward brown.
I had that problem with one frame I was
touching up.

I know the RGB color model of computers!
Here are the colors I use in a Linux virtual
terminal, the teletypewriters (ttys):

normal bright
bk r g y bl m c w bk r g y bl m c w
r 0 255 0 190 100 175 0 150 90 255 0 255 125 235 90 210
g 0 50 150 190 100 100 180 150 90 75 180 127 125 75 255 180
b 0 50 0 0 255 0 180 150 90 75 0 0 255 235 255 140

With a brush and a bunch of color cans, it
should be much harder to get the color one
desires, than just mixing red, green, and
blue...

RGB is an additive color model, which is appropriate for computer
monitors. For paints a subtractive color model is more useful.

See for example http://www.worqx.com/color/color_systems.htm

FS: Small Centurion Steel Frame zteam Marketplace 3 March 7th 10 02:49 AM
Frame Painting? [email protected] Techniques 4 September 21st 07 08:02 PM
Painting a frame soup UK 1 April 6th 07 05:02 PM
Painting A Frame. isaac steiner Unicycling 2 January 18th 07 05:11 PM
Can I clear coat a raw steel fork instead of painting it? [email protected] Recumbent Biking 6 June 8th 05 03:08 AM