Cycling Clothing

Old May 9th 17, 09:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Cycling Clothing

On Mon, 08 May 2017 11:58:43 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-05-08 07:37, wrote:
How is it that I can get a team jersey off of Ebay that's 20 years
old that fits perfectly (though labeled in weird European sizes)
while it's almost impossible to get any modern team wear that you
would want to wear anywhere but to a funeral?

Maybe you have too much European ancestry :-)

And the Chinese garments appear to be only constructed for someone
5'6" whereas the Taiwanese garments seem to be for Americans sizes in
the American market.

The bike clothes made in Thailand, and I suspect, in China are made in
local and foreign sizes and there is about one size difference between
the sizes. I've actually got a pair of bike shorts with a label saying
"Asia - M, Eur - S".

We have an annual Bicycle Expo and I've talked to one of the larger
manufacturer of athletic clothing and they are well aware of the
differences in size and are quick to tell you if you ask "is this a
American or Thai medium?"
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old May 9th 17, 02:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

On 2017-05-08 07:37, wrote:
[...]

Since I'm 6'4" the length is hard to get correct. I need a back length of 29" and most are 28" which is just enough so that I can't reach the openings of the jersey pockets.
Old May 9th 17, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

On 2017-05-08 07:37, wrote:
[...]

It's not just the length, it's the design of the pockets. I rode for a team that had Hincapie jerseys with back pockets cut so high that you had to be double jointed to get into them. The Hincapie went to the same spot on my back as other jerseys, too. I am 6'3" and ride in a lot of old local team jerseys, and my new jerseys are mostly Castelli (Castelli USA is in Portland, and they are frequently on sale). Castelli makes a nearly sheer "summer weight" jersey that is highly breathable, as do a number of other manufacturers. Castelli sizing is all over the map depending on the model -- race fit is Italiano midget standard and you go two sizes up.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old May 9th 17, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

On 2017-05-08 07:37, wrote:
[...]

Just like they ask in Thai restaurant around here "Hot or Thai hot?".
Sensitive people not heeding that distinction advice risk landing in the
emergency room.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old May 9th 17, 06:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

On 2017-05-08 07:37, wrote:
[...]

All of my old team jerseys fit fine. My ONCE long and short sleeve jerseys are great. My Malvor and Rabobank jerseys fit perfect. So my assumption is that they're trying to save on material.
Old May 9th 17, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

On 2017-05-08 07:37, wrote:
[...]

From the time I was a kid when my father used to peel and eat raw onions I have never been much bothered by heat. You can make things too hot to eat such as the "RED!!!" level at Thai restaurants but unless they are designed to blow the top of your head off on purpose I don't have any trouble.

But my wife is outraged if there's a small piece of raw onion in a salad or a couple of drops of Tabasco in an entire bottle of Pasta sauce. I cooked a "frig vegetable" side dish with perhaps 10 different vegetables in it to clean out the refrig vegetable bin before they spoiled and the cooked sweet onions were too hot for her.
Old May 9th 17, 07:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-05-08 07:37,
wrote:
[...]

From the time I was a kid when my father used to peel and eat raw
onions I have never been much bothered by heat. You can make things
too hot to eat such as the "RED!!!" level at Thai restaurants but
unless they are designed to blow the top of your head off on purpose
I don't have any trouble.

But my wife is outraged if there's a small piece of raw onion in a
salad or a couple of drops of Tabasco in an entire bottle of Pasta
sauce. I cooked a "frig vegetable" side dish with perhaps 10
different vegetables in it to clean out the refrig vegetable bin
before they spoiled and the cooked sweet onions were too hot for
her.

Same here, except my wife likes spicy food as well. To the point where
we really have to tune down the cooking if guest from up north or Europe
are over. Where she draws the line is at Sambal Oelek. I was very happy
when we found that our local supermarket carries it. While living in the
Netherlands I grew accustomed to Indonesian food.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambal

Old May 9th 17, 07:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-05-08 18:44, wrote:
On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 1:24:08 PM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 10:06:02 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/8/2017 12:00 PM,
wrote:
On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 7:53:19 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/8/2017 9:37 AM,
wrote:
How is it that I can get a team jersey off of Ebay that's
20 years old that fits perfectly (though labeled in weird
European sizes) while it's almost impossible to get any
modern team wear that you would want to wear anywhere but
to a funeral?

And the Chinese garments appear to be only constructed for
someone 5'6" whereas the Taiwanese garments seem to be for
Americans sizes in the American market.

There's nothing worse than having three rear pockets and
you can't reach any one of them. Or you are forced to buy a
complete team kit including those horrible shorts with
shoulder straps so you cannot take a pee without completely
disrobing.

One of the local rides ends in a canyon. The dirt track
that leads off of the end goes to a nudist colony. Trying
to take a pee up at the end draws a crowd. And it ain't
bike riders.

Some riders prefer chinese garments[1] but there are also
Kucharik USA SuperWool and Di Marchi Italian embroidered wool
jerseys. Choice is good!

There's never been such a wide range of product choice as
now. For nearly everything, not just cycle clothing.

[1] I assume. There sure is a lot, so somebody must be
buying it.

I'm baking in a thin synthetic jersey that let's all the wind
through. I sure as hell wouldn't wear wool on a bet.

You might be pleasantly surprised at a soft light classic wool
jersey. These are not at all like a heavy ragwool sweater your
auntie knitted.

-- Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org/ Open every day since 1
April, 1971

I rode a century yesterday. I ride organized rides very rarely. The
old guys with white hair are no longer going around in wool
jerseys. Even they are wearing spandex now.

What hair? Many of us have to wear a helmet already just for that
purpose. So that things don't start to blister up there.

We are not "old guys". We're just slightly older and not quite as
fast guys with better road gear than you have....

Except me. My road gear is 30 years old and the shorts and T-shirts for
riding are those where my wife said they are too worn for regular day
use. Once they develop holes and stuff they move on to the yard work pile.

However, better than having a $4k Felt road bike or similar and $500
worth of cycling clothes hanging in the garage all year like so many do
around here. "Yeah, I might join you for a ride. One of these days".
Then when they hear about 40 miles they never call.

Old May 9th 17, 09:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

Or more accurately, have been convinced of that.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 10th 17, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Utube utube GPS GPS !

Looking for cycling clothing Micheal Artindale Mountain Biking 5 March 1st 06 09:34 PM
FS: Cycling Clothing Darrell Marketplace 0 December 5th 05 05:33 AM
Cycling Clothing Sean Rooney UK 13 August 1st 05 08:07 AM
appropriate clothing for cycling dig dug General 14 July 20th 05 08:01 AM
FS:Cycling Clothing Ryun Pavlicek Marketplace 0 December 12th 04 10:37 PM