Flite Gel Saddle

Old June 7th 05, 07:50 PM
John Everett

Default Flite Gel Saddle

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 18:24:28 -0600, Wasatch5k
wrote:

I've been told they take a while to break in, but it's been over a year
and I'm tired of numb nuts, it hurts after 20min! Can anyone recommend a
more comfortable saddle in the $50~$90 range? I was thinking maybe the
WTB Shadow V Pro Gel seen he

If there's one thing I've learned monitoring and participating in
these saddle discussions for almost fifteen years; everyone's
different. You'll probably get lots of responses touting each poster's
particular favorite saddle. Only you can determine what works for you.

Unfortunately this can get expensive. Best bet, find someone (like me)
who has a box full of random saddles and will let you borrow some to
try. Some bike shops might even do this for you.

But the real answer is: Selle Italia Flite (non-gel). It must be the
right answer since I have them on five of my six bikes. ;-)

BTW, my all original 1966 PX-10 has a Brooks Pro. A Flite might feel
good, but just wouldn't look correct.

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old June 7th 05, 09:27 PM
Matt O'Toole

Bill Sornson wrote:

A hundred bucks for a 300-gram saddle?

You can do (MUCH) better.

You can't do any better than the one that fits, which is worth whatever it
costs.

Matt O.

Old June 7th 05, 09:37 PM
Matt O'Toole

Dan wrote:

I ended up with the Terry men's ti fly. It has a slot down the middle
but I don't believe that the slot actually makes much of a
difference. This saddle seems to be the right width, firmness and
just plain fits me.

I agree about the Terry. The hole seems dubious, but it works for me anyway.
Other users seem to agree -- I've never heard of anyone rejecting one of these
saddles. The hole actually bothered me at first, but just as I was thinking of
getting rid of the Terry, it seemed to break in and has been great ever since.
I'll probably grab another for my mountain bike.

Selle Italia Turbomatics and WTBs seem almost universally liked too. However,
as others have said, overall riding position is key.

Matt O.

Old June 7th 05, 09:39 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Wasatch5k wrote:

I've been told they take a while to break in, but it's been over a year
and I'm tired of numb nuts, it hurts after 20min! Can anyone recommend a
more comfortable saddle in the $50~$90 range? I was thinking maybe the
WTB Shadow V Pro Gel seen he

http://www.wtb.com/products/saddle_progel.html

Any opinions?

Gel saddles don't work for a lot of people. I've always avoided them.

A standard Flite might be better, as might the
looks-masochistic-but-actually-works SLR. Less is often more when it
comes to avoiding numbness, because you actually sit on your bones
rather than constricting your soft bits.
Old June 7th 05, 09:43 PM
Matt O'Toole

David Damerell wrote:

Quoting Wasatch5k :
I've been told they take a while to break in, but it's been over a
year and I'm tired of numb nuts, it hurts after 20min!

Non-leather saddles such as you have don't break in; either they're
good or they're not.

Do you mean non-leather structurally, or as a saddle cover? Depending on the
saddle, even a leather cover breaks in a little. I had this experience with my
Terry.

Completely non-leather saddles can be great. Lycra is comfortable but doesn't
last. Avocet vinyl saddles are great. SDG have some kind of foamy synthetic
ultrasuede that's comfortable too, and practically indestructible.

Matt O.

Old June 7th 05, 09:49 PM
Matt O'Toole

John Everett wrote:

But the real answer is: Selle Italia Flite (non-gel). It must be the
right answer since I have them on five of my six bikes. ;-)

I like the original Flites too. I first tried one when they came out in '90 or
so, and I immediately felt it was the best saddle ever. But now the Flite name
has been applied to a whole line of saddles, completely different from one
another except for the basic outline.

Matt O.

Old June 8th 05, 11:48 AM
David Damerell

Quoting Matt O'Toole :
David Damerell wrote:
Quoting Wasatch5k :
I've been told they take a while to break in, but it's been over a
year and I'm tired of numb nuts, it hurts after 20min!

Non-leather saddles such as you have don't break in; either they're
good or they're not.

Do you mean non-leather structurally, or as a saddle cover?

I mean whatever part isn't leather isn't going to break in.

Completely non-leather saddles can be great.

Yes; what I'm saying is, unlike a leather saddle, if they're not great
there's no point hoping they'll become great.
--
David Damerell Distortion Field!
Today is First Brieday, June.
Old June 14th 05, 04:58 AM

Forget padded saddles. My mileage never rolled up until I got rid of
padded saddles. The SLR versions vary so fit them to your derier.
Other versions without padding work based upon your physique.

Match sit bones to contact points. Check that the skirt on the saddle
doesn't intrude on your thighs.

Padded saddles are the holy grail of Bike Mkt'g. You need the padding
in your shorts! Once you have ~ 1500 mi. developed seat your derier
will be comfortable on unpadded saddle. And you don't need to ride
70mi/wk to maintain your seat.

Old June 22nd 05, 04:20 AM
C.J.Patten

"John Everett" wrote in message

If there's one thing I've learned monitoring and participating in
these saddle discussions for almost fifteen years; everyone's
different. You'll probably get lots of responses touting each poster's
particular favorite saddle. Only you can determine what works for you.

Good advice.

Unfortunately this can get expensive. Best bet, find someone (like me)
who has a box full of random saddles and will let you borrow some to
try. Some bike shops might even do this for you.

Definately. It's one good reason to be part of a friendly bike club where
everyone's out to share knowledge - and lend equipment for testing.

But the real answer is: Selle Italia Flite (non-gel). It must be the
right answer since I have them on five of my six bikes. ;-)

BTW, my all original 1966 PX-10 has a Brooks Pro. A Flite might feel
good, but just wouldn't look correct.

Got a question for you since you're using the Selle and Brooks: had you
considered trying a Brooks saddle that had the same shape as the Selle
Flight? I didn't know they made them until I leafed through their PDF
catalog. (downloadable online)

Wondering how these "modern" Brooks designs compare to their gel/plastic
counterparts in the Selle and other brands.

C.