How well (or poorly?) will my Campy 8-speed front der. shift a 10-speed setup?

Old June 19th 05, 07:17 PM

Default How well (or poorly?) will my Campy 8-speed front der. shift a 10-speed setup?

I'm long overdue to upgrade to Ergo, and I'd like to do it as cheaply
as possible. Will there be any major problems with a circa 1990 8-speed
derailleur on a 2005 10-speed setup?

Old June 20th 05, 02:06 AM
Lee

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm long overdue to upgrade to Ergo, and I'd like to do it as cheaply
as possible. Will there be any major problems with a circa 1990 8-speed
derailleur on a 2005 10-speed setup?

Have you paid the 10 speed upgrade fee to Campagnolo yet? If not, you can't
do it.

Lee

Old June 20th 05, 02:44 AM
David L. Johnson

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 11:17:09 -0700, a.b.patrick wrote:

I'm long overdue to upgrade to Ergo, and I'd like to do it as cheaply
as possible. Will there be any major problems with a circa 1990 8-speed
derailleur on a 2005 10-speed setup?

A Campy Ergo shifter will shift any front derailleur. It's not indexed in
the front.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Enron's slogan: Respect, Communication, Integrity, and
_`\(,_ | Excellence.
(_)/ (_) |

Old June 20th 05, 03:16 AM

Thanks. I'm not worried about the indexing, but rather about sloppy
shifting from a very wide front-derailleur. I haven't measured but it
seems to be quite a bit wider than the 10-speed derailleur on my other
bike.

Old June 20th 05, 04:32 AM
Paul Slavchenko

I did just the same thing this spring. In my opinion, the front derailleur
shifts the narrow chain just fine.

Paul

oups.com...

Old June 20th 05, 02:23 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Lee wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm long overdue to upgrade to Ergo, and I'd like to do it as cheaply
as possible. Will there be any major problems with a circa 1990 8-speed
derailleur on a 2005 10-speed setup?

Have you paid the 10 speed upgrade fee to Campagnolo yet? If not, you can't
do it.

Lee

You do that only at mailorder, not a bike shops.

use the front der or any front der for that matter, The superior design
of ERGO allows you to use just about any front derailleur/crank combo.

I have used ERGO shifters on Mavic and even Super Record front ders
with great success

Old June 20th 05, 06:28 PM

Thanks, and speaking of cranks, will the 8-speed chainrings work or are
they too wide for the chain? If too wide, is the bolt pattern still the
same? The cranks I currently have are the original, Chorus from 1989 or
1990. I don't much like them (they seem to have a very wide Q-factor
compared to newer cranks), so I wouldn't mind swapping them out (except
for the cost of course).

Old June 21st 05, 10:58 PM

I just upgraded from a Campy 8s downtube shifters to 10s Ergopower
Centaur thru my LBS. They said I neede new chainrings and a new from
derailleur. I should have checked in here first and saved myself some
money!