Anyone ride a 29er muni with long cranks?

Old October 9th 08, 08:10 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Nurse Ben

Default Anyone ride a 29er muni with long cranks?

I normally ride a 26er with 165 Momen, Gazz 2.6. I also have a 24 muni
with 150 Moments, Kenda Klaw 2.6.

I just got a KH 29, running 125/150 Moments, Nevegal. I like the way
the uni rides on gravel, but I don't feel like I have the same degree of
power and control when climbing harder hills. I plan to use the 29er for
cross country and light muni.

What do you all think of 165's on a 29er?

--
Nurse Ben
Old October 9th 08, 08:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
sarah.miller

I used to sometimes ride muni on a 29er with " long" cranks. BUT my long
cranks were 150s , my road cranks were 125s and my racing cranks were
110s. Try longer cranks out, they might suit you and won;t be stupidly
pricey should you decide not to use them lots.

--
sarah.miller

South West Unicycle Meet
www.uk.unicyclist.com/swum.html
Old October 10th 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pkittle

I have the 165/137 cranks (the ones I bought from you, Ben!), and I've
put them on my KH29. But I took them off again pretty quickly. The 165s
are too long, I think. Even though they allow a little more torque, they
mess up my cadence--make things hurky-jerky instead of spinning nice
circles.

The 137 hole, on the other hand, is pretty sweet--a little extra torque
than the 125 hole, and a little more speed than the 150. If I had
slightly more leg speed (or significantly less belly!) I'd keep the 137s
for most of the cross country riding I do. But for now, I'm keeping to
the 150s most of the time.

I'd just get used to riding the 150s. It took me a long time to adapt
to the 29er with 150s when I was used to my KH24/Gazz/165s, but I now
like it a lot.

--
pkittle

*==========================
Peter Kittle * Chico, CA
"The Revolution is just a t-shirt away."
--Billy Bragg
Old October 10th 08, 03:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
lowlight

The longest cranks i've ridden with are 150's. Don't think i'd want to
go any longer as I find it hard to spin smoothly like pkittle. My
current favourites are 140mm schlumpf cranks for general XC riding.
Would like to try some with a bit less Q though.

--
lowlight
Old October 31st 08, 01:31 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
entropy

This thread needs more input.

175s, nothing shorter (tried 150s and hated it). Rode slickrock in its
entirety at 29x175 earlier this year and it was excellent.

--
entropy

Shut up and ride.
Old October 31st 08, 01:55 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rolandisimo

Ride the 125's for a while, then switch back to the 150's and they'll
feel huge! I just did that tonight, felt great (especially geared up).
I can't imagine something larger than 150's being useful.
ro

--
rolandisimo
Old October 31st 08, 02:02 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jim_Rob

I ride MUni on a 29er w/ 190mm Profile cranks and I love it. I have long
legs and I relatively heavy (210lbs, or 94kg, or 15 stone depending on
how you are calibrated) so this set-up gives me the leverage I'm looking
for.

--
Jim_Rob

TTFN- JR

We're the guerillas of unicycling.
We don't announce our rides.
We just strike and slip back into the night.
Old October 31st 08, 12:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Mountainuni1

I ride 152's on my 29er, but doing mostly urban rides in Boston and
light XC with it. Every MM of length will increase power, but also
increases knee throw as someone mentioned above. This knee throw can
keep your wheel from tracking straight lines, but also has a benefit of
stopping power too. My 29er came with 125's stock from UDC and almost
immediately took them off, due to lack of stopping power, and uphill
leverage. 29er's rock for full speed curb drops, small stair sets and
the head turning factor!

--
Mountainuni1
Old October 31st 08, 12:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Nurse Ben

Well I've been riding the 150's for the past few weeks. Things are okay,
still hard to climb and descend, though I feel like there are some
advantages such as being able to get in the sweet spot quicker, better
cadence of course, and a little less bobbling. A 29er is pretty durn
tall for muni, but I've seen it done so I know it'll come with time. It
certainly does swoop through the twisty single track, I only wish we
weren't so rooty out there. What I'd relaly lke to ride is some
decompsed granite sand like in Tahoe or Colorado

--
Nurse Ben
Old October 31st 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

I have what I think are 160s on my 29er for MUni. Only problem is I
don't think I've had it out of the garage all year. If I have a "strong"
MUni for the technical trails I prefer riding that (and those trails)
than the 29" on some easier trails. What I've actually done a lot of
this year is Cokering on the trails. With 150s.

What needs to be kept in mind here is terrain. Crank size cannot be
discussed without keeping terrain in mind. Long cranks would be
essential, or at least very desirable in a technical or steep setting,
like the Moab slickrock. But they'd be overkill on more gentle trails.
The Coker with 150s goes great on the smoother, less-steep trails (along
with Jess Riegel on his 125s and no brakes), but it would suck on really
technical trails, with too much walking and not enough enjoyment of
riding the hard stuff.

The next step in my trail-riding evolution will perhaps be a
KH/Schlumpf 29". I'll be able to go as fast as I care to on the road,
and mix a wide variety of trails with my choice of gears!

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"False facts are frequently formed from figures fabricated from fear
fired fiction." -- Harper