please do not buy stolen bicycle(s)

Old June 1st 05, 11:23 AM
Yuri Budilov

Default please do not buy stolen bicycle(s)

Hello everyone

a small appeal......

my house (in Caulfield, Melbourne) got burgled on Monday morning (30 May).

My 2005 Specialized Roubaix Comp, frame size 54cm, Ultegra/Durace
double*10-speed, black, carbon road bicycle was stolen. It's serial number
(frame, near bottom bracket) is STB24C269. It has Selle Italia Flite Gelflow
saddle with centre cut-out and Shimano Ultegra pedals and Vetta V100
wireless computer.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=9641

If you see/hear/read about such a bicycle please help your fellow road
cyclist and notify police (they have all these details) or myself via
e-mail. Police folks think it might turn up on e-bay or in trading post or
at some second hand shops one day soon. Please help catch the criminals.

many thanks

Old June 1st 05, 04:16 PM
Skewer

Yuri, Buddy

Get round to your local Cash (crime) converter type shops with a photo of your steed.
Despite it being common sense, the police WILL NOT check there.

Also let all your LBS's know.

Now the big one. Get out to Bicycle Recycle in Moorabbin.

That is where my stolen bike was found (vic licence engraved on the BB and all)
It had been there for the 4 months since it was stolen.
But of course we know they wouldn't buy stolen gear.

Skewer

Old June 2nd 05, 05:58 AM
BruceA

Yep, I concur with Skewer.

My bike was stolen a few years back when our house was broken into.
I received money from the insurance company to buy a new bike, so trotted
along to my favourite LBS to choose a new shiny steed. But, there was my
stolen bike sitting in the second hand bike section! LBS was very
apologetic, and they did have enough information on the guy who brought it
in to have him convicted. So a happy ending, although I had kind of been
looking forward to a new bike!

BruceA

Old June 2nd 05, 07:58 AM
SteveA

BruceA Wrote:
Yep, I concur with Skewer

My bike was stolen a few years back when our house was broken into
I received money from the insurance company to buy a new bike, s
trotte
along to my favourite LBS to choose a new shiny steed. But, there wa
stolen bike sitting in the second hand bike section! LBS was ver
apologetic, and they did have enough information on the guy who brough
in to have him convicted. So a happy ending, although I had kind o
bee
looking forward to a new bike

BruceA

And check the bikes in the Police Auctions. You might think that the
would already have been examined to ensure that if they were on th
stolen goods register the true owner would have been notified.
However, the auctions have specific procedures in place for people t
claim their bikes on the inspection day prior to the auction itself
thus indicating that some stolen bikes get through those procedures an
get to the auctions. Might be worth a check

Steve

--
SteveA

Old June 2nd 05, 10:33 AM
Yuri Budilov

"BruceA" wrote in message
Yep, I concur with Skewer.

My bike was stolen a few years back when our house was broken into.
I received money from the insurance company to buy a new bike, so trotted
along to my favourite LBS to choose a new shiny steed. But, there was my
stolen bike sitting in the second hand bike section! LBS was very
apologetic, and they did have enough information on the guy who brought it
in to have him convicted. So a happy ending, although I had kind of been
looking forward to a new bike!

BruceA

thanks everyone. I have checked with Bicycle Recycle, nothing (yet?). Will
keep en eye on it.....

Old June 6th 05, 10:14 PM
Richard Sherratt

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 09:33:52 GMT, "Yuri Budilov"
wrote:

"BruceA" wrote in message
Yep, I concur with Skewer.

My bike was stolen a few years back when our house was broken into.
I received money from the insurance company to buy a new bike, so trotted
along to my favourite LBS to choose a new shiny steed. But, there was my
stolen bike sitting in the second hand bike section! LBS was very
apologetic, and they did have enough information on the guy who brought it
in to have him convicted. So a happy ending, although I had kind of been
looking forward to a new bike!

BruceA

thanks everyone. I have checked with Bicycle Recycle, nothing (yet?). Will
keep en eye on it.....

Good luck, Yuri. I forgot to mention Cash Converters when I emailed
you last week. I want to emphasize what Skewer said about this. Before
the Cash Converters nearest to us opened, I know of nobody in our
street who had been burgled. In the 6 to 12 months after they opened,
every house without a dog was broken into. They have lots of bikes in
the shop.

--
Regards.
Richard.