[OT] Road Rage

Old January 7th 08, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kenneth Clements

Default [OT] Road Rage

I see DigiGuide classes the Road Rage programme at 21:00 on BBC1 as
Entertainment.

Ken :-)

Old January 7th 08, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 19:21:30 GMT, "Kenneth Clements"
wrote:

I see DigiGuide classes the Road Rage programme at 21:00 on BBC1 as
Entertainment.

An excellent programme. The only road user to come through smelling
of roses was the humble pedestrian.

The school run lot came out as the worst, closely followed by
cyclists, I'm sorry to say!
Old January 7th 08, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Hearns[_2_]

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 22:01 +0000, Tom Crispin wrote:

The school run lot came out as the worst, closely followed by
cyclists, I'm sorry to say!

The worst was the part at the very end, where School Run Mums were
protesting about permits for in-front-of-school parking being taken
away. (I didn't realise such things existed anyway).
Did they not see that (a) if every parent in a large school got such a
permit there could not be enough room on any road for them all to park
at 9am?
(b) zig-zags outside schools restrict parking to make it safer for their
own children?

Old January 7th 08, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_2_]

John Hearns wrote:

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 22:01 +0000, Tom Crispin wrote:

The school run lot came out as the worst, closely followed by
cyclists, I'm sorry to say!

The worst was the part at the very end, where School Run Mums were
protesting about permits for in-front-of-school parking being taken
away. (I didn't realise such things existed anyway).
Did they not see that (a) if every parent in a large school got such a
permit there could not be enough room on any road for them all to park
at 9am?

DO they park at 9 am?

There's a school near me, just down the road - the morning arrivals
are noticeably less problematic than the afternoon departures because
children can just be dropped off and the mum's cars scoot away
immediately. They don't all do that, but most do.

In the afternoon, they start mustering in any available space from
about 14:30.

(b) zig-zags outside schools restrict parking to make it safer for their
own children?

I don't think there are any outside this school (it has its own
grounds, but parents aren't allowed in, AFAIK).

Anyway... must get a glass of wine and watch the programme...
Old January 7th 08, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

Default Road Rage

On 7 Jan, 22:15, John Hearns wrote:
On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 22:01 +0000, Tom Crispin wrote:

The school run lot came out as the worst, closely followed by
cyclists, I'm sorry to say!

The worst was the part at the very end, where School Run Mums were
protesting about permits for in-front-of-school parking being taken
away. (I didn't realise such things existed anyway).
Did they not see that (a) if every parent in a large school got such a
permit there could not be enough room on any road for them all to park
at 9am?
(b) zig-zags outside schools restrict parking to make it safer for their
own children?

Well, my dear, they should demolish the school to make the spaces.
'sObvious.
They called themselves "vulnerable people". Bloody armour-plated,
well, gold-plated anyway.
Old January 7th 08, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc

John Hearns wrote:
On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 22:01 +0000, Tom Crispin wrote:

The school run lot came out as the worst, closely followed by
cyclists, I'm sorry to say!

The worst was the part at the very end, where School Run Mums were
protesting about permits for in-front-of-school parking being taken
away. (I didn't realise such things existed anyway).
Did they not see that (a) if every parent in a large school got such a
permit there could not be enough room on any road for them all to park
at 9am?

No, they carn't they are not intersted in other people, it's called "
the tragedy of the commons"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons

(b) zig-zags outside schools restrict parking to make it safer for their
own children?

They don't need their children to be any safer, if they can drop them
at the gates they are safe so THEY don't need the zigzags.
Old January 7th 08, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 22:15:38 +0000, John Hearns
wrote:

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 22:01 +0000, Tom Crispin wrote:

The school run lot came out as the worst, closely followed by
cyclists, I'm sorry to say!

The worst was the part at the very end, where School Run Mums were
protesting about permits for in-front-of-school parking being taken
away. (I didn't realise such things existed anyway).

Yes, that was pretty pathetic - buit no more so than the school-run
dad who drove about the place cursing every other road user.

Did they not see that (a) if every parent in a large school got such a
permit there could not be enough room on any road for them all to park
at 9am?
(b) zig-zags outside schools restrict parking to make it safer for their
own children?

They were just stupid - but the programme did highlight how dangerous
the roads (and by road I mean building to building) for pedestrians.

The film of cyclists in the City of London caused me to hide behind my
cushions with embarrassment for their behaviour, especially that cycle
courier.
Old January 7th 08, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
GeoffC

wrote:

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 22:01 +0000, Tom Crispin wrote:

The school run lot came out as the worst, closely followed by
cyclists, I'm sorry to say!

The worst was the part at the very end, where School Run Mums were
protesting about permits for in-front-of-school parking being taken
away. (I didn't realise such things existed anyway).

Yes, that was pretty pathetic - buit no more so than the school-run
dad who drove about the place cursing every other road user.

And to think he was probably restraining himself in view of the
cameras :-)

--

Geoff

Old January 7th 08, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

wrote:

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 22:01 +0000, Tom Crispin wrote:

The school run lot came out as the worst, closely followed by
cyclists, I'm sorry to say!

The worst was the part at the very end, where School Run Mums were
protesting about permits for in-front-of-school parking being taken
away. (I didn't realise such things existed anyway).

Yes, that was pretty pathetic - buit no more so than the school-run
dad who drove about the place cursing every other road user.

And to think he was probably restraining himself in view of the
cameras :-)

Let's hope that he's on beta blockers. Actually, I don't think that he
can be, or perhaps his dose needs adjusting.
Old January 7th 08, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Danny Colyer

On 07/01/2008 22:01, Tom Crispin wrote:
An excellent programme. The only road user to come through smelling
of roses was the humble pedestrian.

In the bit about WNBR I noticed a tandem stopped at the side of the
road, apparently with a puncture. David Damerell?

--
Danny Colyer http://www.redpedals.co.uk
"The plural of anecdote is not data" - Frank Kotsonis

Road Rage Gags Australia 42 September 22nd 06 03:31 AM
Road Rage in Sydney kanangara Australia 32 February 24th 06 06:26 AM
Road Rage Enquiry TimC Australia 5 August 30th 05 03:08 PM
Seen in another place - road rage wafflycat UK 15 May 4th 05 05:32 PM
Road rage sentence Peter B UK 17 August 10th 03 09:58 PM