Race to the Top of VT, unicyclist spotted

Old September 2nd 08, 09:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Bondo

Default Race to the Top of VT, unicyclist spotted

A Friend posted this shot (in another forum) of Geoff in the Race to the
Top of VT.

[image: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3056/...a0bbcd428.jpg]

Congrats! sounds brutal.
Are you on here? anyone else know him?

a write-up:
http://www.catamounttrail.org/news/r...etopofvermont/

--
Bondo

Apply Directly to a Unicycle.

'w00tni|iciou$n3s$Rof1iwins'
(http://tinyurl.com/5fcdr2)
Old September 2nd 08, 10:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
siafirede

His SN is "Kiwi In Vermont"

--
siafirede

'DCuni' (http://www.dcuni.com/blog) - my blog about Unicycling in
Washington DC, Virginia, Maryland
*James* = my name | 'Myspace' (http://www.myspace.com/clawsout)
Old September 2nd 08, 10:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Bondo

Congrats to Kiwi!
Great job.

Old September 2nd 08, 10:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rolandisimo

Hey, great picture.

There were at least 3 unis in the race and I heard Geoff beat the other
two by 20min and that his mother was a mountain goat!

This ride makes the paves hill-climbs seem tame. Amazing that the top
mtbiker only beat the top runner by less than 1 min.

Geoff, what was your time?
Ro

--
rolandisimo
Old September 2nd 08, 10:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
capuni

What a great photo! As usual... Geoff looks like he's barely working.
He just might be the East Coast hope to beat Roland's White Face
record.

--
capuni

My 'Ride The Lobster Photo Album'
(http://gallery.mac.com/perrywoodin#100208)
Old September 2nd 08, 10:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Bondo

1:08 it looks like.

'Results' (http://tinyurl.com/5jbt4q)

pretty amazing indeed!

Old September 3rd 08, 12:11 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

Congratulations to Geoff and the rest

What was the distance and total vertical? I didn't see it anywhere on
the site.

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'
(http://unicycletips.com/)*'Trials class system'
(http://tinyurl.com/yqpvxk)*'Trials Building'
Old September 3rd 08, 01:03 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steveyo

4.5 miles, 2550' vertical. Great job Geoff, Mark and Bill!

--
steveyo

steveyo
...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

- a few 'uni race write-ups'
(http://home.nycap.rr.com/rduhan/uni_race_writeups/)
- muni and kokopelli uni 't-shirts, mugs and stickers'
(http://www.cafepress.com/steveyo)
Old September 3rd 08, 01:29 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steveyo

Whoops - missed the edit timeout.

Dawn, Mark's functional other, sent me a link to a bunch of pics:
http://tinyurl.com/5r44ca

Looks like a beautiful day and setting for such a serious painfest.

BTW, Geoff, you rode a slightly heavy machine for climbing (Torker
DX24?). But it makes you stronger. Rock on.

Old September 3rd 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
StephenH

When we lived in Colorado, I did a lot of hiking in the mountains. I
never got into mountain biking but saw a lot of them on one of the
steep access roads I went up.

On level ground, a bicycle is much more efficient than a walker, and
can go much much faster. But as the route gets steeper, you start
losing that efficiency. Once you get to the point where you're not
gaining anything from the bike, then you're at a disadvantage because
you have to tote yourself plus the weight of the bike up the hill. On
the route I went up all the time, I've actually walked past mountain
bikers who were riding. That was with some major exertion on my part,
too.

If I remember right, I had one route that was about a 2000' elevation
gain that I could make it up in less than an hour, and another route
that was about 1500' that I made it up in about 39 minutes. In either
case, that was wearing shorts, sneakers, t-shirt and breathing about as
hard as I could the whole way, and walking at a good brisk pace on
routes that I was very familiar with. On the 1500' route, I tried
jogging up one time. I jogged about a third of the way, and that saved
about a minute off my time- definitely not worth the effort.

More power to these guys as they race, but don't be surprised if a
runner beats the riders on the right route.

--
StephenH