Picking an Orthopedic Doctor

Old May 11th 09, 04:17 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default Picking an Orthopedic Doctor

"I knew my request would bring the injured out of the woodwork,
definitely not a small group..."

What a big surprize!

Mike

From: "Linda"
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 20:26:44 +0000
Subject: Ortho Doctor recommendation

Thanks to all who gave me recommendations! Whew, now the hard part is
picking someone as my next doc. I knew my request would bring the
injured out of the woodwork, definitely not a small group...

Thanks,

Linda

From: "Linda"
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 20:26:44 +0000

Thanks to all who gave me recommendations! Whew, now the hard part is
picking someone as my next doc. I knew my request would bring the
injured out of the woodwork, definitely not a small group...

Thanks,

Linda

Yes Mikey, many of us have had broken bones following confrontations
with motor vehicle drivers who treat us as trespassers on their
property because we ride on the roads. This has zip to do with your
empty headed campaign against MTB riders and everything to do with
sharing the roads. I have ceased to count the number of times I have
been assaulted on the road by a motor vehicle operator after I spent
13 days in a hospital after being hit at 65 MPH on a city street by a
homicidal maniac that made a u-turn to come back and hit me after
passing me in the other direction. I was averaging about an assault
with a deadly weapon per week until that wreck.

BTW if you're injured in Dallas County TX you can do much worse than
to be treated by Dr. Adam Starr. He patched up my broken hip and lower
leg and headed the team that saved that leg from amputation. I'm not
going to say the leg works perfectly now, but it works for walking and
riding, which is all I wanted. Not being able to run doesn't bother
me.

From: "Linda"
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 20:26:44 +0000

[...]

Are you THAT ugly? I've been bicycling for over 60 years, & I've NEVER
had a problem with a motorist. But having been hit by them, I would
think that you would have more sympathy for pedestrians & hikers faced
with the same problem, caused by mountain bikers.

BTW if you're injured in Dallas County TX you can do much worse than
to be treated by Dr. Adam Starr. He patched up my broken hip and lower
leg and headed the team that saved that leg from amputation. I'm not
going to say the leg works perfectly now, but it works for walking and
riding, which is all I wanted. Not being able to run doesn't bother
me.

I'll try to remember that, the next time I get run into by a mountain
biker in Dallas County.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

From: "Linda"
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 20:26:44 +0000

[...]

snip

Actually my modeling career has picked up since that wreck It's the
place I live in. Dallas County has a few miles of trails that start
nowhere, go nowhere, and end nowhere, zero bike lanes, and a very
hostile and impatient group of drivers that know nothing of the actual
laws about bicycles. I have never had as big a problem riding a
bicycle anywhere else in the world as I have in TX and from what I
read from my blog comments this is not a TX problem but a problem that
developed nationwide about the time I moved to TX in 1989. Somehow
someone got it into his or her head that cars pay for the streets and
roads and there should be nothing else on those streets and roads, and
convinced a large portion of the population of the same thing. Those
drivers actively try to run bicycles and pedestrians off the roads.
One of those people tried to kill me because I was riding a bicycle on
the road, and not even on the same side of the road as he was driving
on but going the opposite direction. And you are giving aid and
comfort to that kind of people by making the ridiculous statements
that off road bicycles do not belong off the roads. Public lands are
like public roads and belong to everyone, but your campaign gives
legitimacy to those who are trying to get bicycles off the roads. So
stop, before more people get killed.

Opus

From: "Linda"
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 20:26:44 +0000

[...]

Don't solve your safety problem by making wildlife and other trail
users unsafe! That is no solution. Short of getting the heck out of
that armpit of the nation, I suggest getting together withy other
bicyclists in a Critical Mass-like demonstration. You need to have
people notice bikers. Like advertizing, it almost doesn't matter how &
why they get noticed, as long as you get noticed. I do it by acting
like I'm out of control at all times. Scares drivers to death, and
they slow down. It's a natural feature of the eye & brain that they
notice SIDEWAYS movement far more than changes in distance. WOBBLE!
(Pull "accidentally" to the right, as they get closer.)

Good luck. Stay well. And don't transfer the risk to the wildlife....

Old May 14th 09, 07:40 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,ca.environment,sci.environment
Slartibartfast[_2_]

Mike Vandeman wrote:
snip a lot of irrelevant stuff
Don't solve your safety problem by making wildlife and other trail
users unsafe! That is no solution. Short of getting the heck out of
that armpit of the nation, I suggest getting together withy other
bicyclists in a Critical Mass-like demonstration. You need to have
people notice bikers. Like advertizing, it almost doesn't matter how &
why they get noticed, as long as you get noticed.

I've read some really dumb things you have written in the past, but this
one really takes the cake:

"it almost doesn't matter how & why they get noticed, as long as you get
noticed"

Really? are you serious?

That is completely absurd, Of course it matters how & why they get
noticed!!

How does a bicyclist being noticed in a negative light do anything to
mend the rift in relations between motorists and bicyclists? If
anything, it makes motorists resent bicyclists even more.

I do it by acting
like I'm out of control at all times. Scares drivers to death, and
they slow down.

This is exactly the type of behavior by bicyclists that angers
motorists. I have had many conversations with people that have a
negative view of cyclists on the road to try and understand the root of
the problem. The most common complaint I have heard is how unpredictable
bicyclists can be.

Thanks for proving them right and fanning the flames on the road as well
as in the wilderness. You really are a class(less) act.

In talking to motorists it has become clear that the main cause of
problems between the two groups is:

Bicyclists who do not obey the rules of the road.

We've all done it, Blown through a red light or ignored a stop sign
while pretending to be our favorite pro racer. Perhaps ride three
abreast on a two lane two way street, blocking traffic coming from behind.

From the point of view of the motorist, this is the sort of behavior
that makes it difficult to share a road with a bicycle. It really says
to the motorist "This is my road, I'm just sharing it with you."

The lesson I have taken away from listening to motorists, is this:
A lot could be done for the image of bicyclists on the road if the
majority obeyed the rules of the road. Simple things like stopping at
stop signs, riding single file unless the bike lane permits, using hand
signs, that sort of thing.

Looking at a lot of the rants you have about mountain bikers, Mike, I
think this is the same basic problem you have with that group:
"They don't follow the rules of the trail"

You complain about mountain bikers acting unpredictable on the trail,
yet turn right around and suggest that riding unpredictably on the road
is completely acceptable? Nice attempt at having your cake and eating it
too! enjoy.

Jason

Old May 14th 09, 03:33 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Kayak44

On May 13, 10:47*pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:

I do it by acting like I'm out of control at all times.

It's not an act Mike, you are out of control in every aspect of your
life.

Old May 14th 09, 03:47 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Wed, 13 May 2009 23:40:04 -0700, Slartibartfast
wrote:

Mike Vandeman wrote:
[...]

In the long run, being more aware of bicyclists will make all of us
safer. Why do you think that advertizers use stupid ads? They know
that the most important thing is to get people to be AWARE of their
product.

I do it by acting
like I'm out of control at all times. Scares drivers to death, and
they slow down.

This is exactly the type of behavior by bicyclists that angers
motorists. I have had many conversations with people that have a
negative view of cyclists on the road to try and understand the root of
the problem. The most common complaint I have heard is how unpredictable
bicyclists can be.

That's great! That is EXACTLY what we want them to think. That's what
makes them pay more attention to bikers! Why do you think people slow
down for children? Because we know that they are unpredictable!

What you are saying is just like the history of African Americans in
the U.S. Some people thought that they should just be polite and
predictable, and then they would be accepted. It never happened. It
wasn't until they started demonstrating and becoming UNpredictable
that they started changing the culture.

If you weren't so obsessed with defending mountain biking, maybe you
would understand this.

Thanks for proving them right and fanning the flames on the road as well
as in the wilderness. You really are a class(less) act.

In talking to motorists it has become clear that the main cause of
problems between the two groups is:

Bicyclists who do not obey the rules of the road.

I'm not talking about not obeying the rules of the road -- just giving
the impression that you are unpredictable.

We've all done it, Blown through a red light or ignored a stop sign
while pretending to be our favorite pro racer. Perhaps ride three
abreast on a two lane two way street, blocking traffic coming from behind.

From the point of view of the motorist, this is the sort of behavior
that makes it difficult to share a road with a bicycle. It really says
to the motorist "This is my road, I'm just sharing it with you."

The lesson I have taken away from listening to motorists, is this:
A lot could be done for the image of bicyclists on the road if the
majority obeyed the rules of the road. Simple things like stopping at
stop signs, riding single file unless the bike lane permits, using hand
signs, that sort of thing.

Looking at a lot of the rants you have about mountain bikers, Mike, I
think this is the same basic problem you have with that group:
"They don't follow the rules of the trail"

Nonsense. I have always said that no matter how politely one rides,
the presence of bikes is harmful:

Bicycles should not be allowed in any natural area. They are inanimate
objects and have no rights. There is also no right to mountain bike.
That was settled in federal court in 1994:
http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/mtb10 . It's dishonest of mountain
bikers to say that they don't have access to trails closed to bikes.
They have EXACTLY the same access as everyone else -- ON FOOT! Why
isn't that good enough for mountain bikers? They are all capable of
walking....

A favorite myth of mountain bikers is that mountain biking is no more
harmful to wildlife, people, and the environment than hiking, and that
science supports that view. Of course, it's not true. To settle the
matter once and for all, I read all of the research they cited, and
wrote a review of the research on mountain biking impacts (see
http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/scb7 ). I found that of the seven
studies they cited, (1) all were written by mountain bikers, and (2)
in every case, the authors misinterpreted their own data, in order to
come to the conclusion that they favored. They also studiously avoided
mentioning another scientific study (Wisdom et al) which did not favor
mountain biking, and came to the opposite conclusions.

Those were all experimental studies. Two other studies (by White et al
and by Jeff Marion) used a survey design, which is inherently
incapable of answering that question (comparing hiking with mountain
biking). I only mention them because mountain bikers often cite them,
but scientifically, they are worthless.

Mountain biking accelerates erosion, creates V-shaped ruts, kills
small animals and plants on and next to the trail, drives wildlife and
other trail users out of the
area, and (worst of all) teaches kids that the rough treatment of
nature is okay (it's NOT!). What's good about THAT?

For more information: http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/mtbfaq .

You complain about mountain bikers acting unpredictable on the trail,

BS. I have never said any such thing. You are just fabricating --
nothing new for a mountain biker.

yet turn right around and suggest that riding unpredictably on the road
is completely acceptable? Nice attempt at having your cake and eating it
too! enjoy.

Jason

It's a natural feature of the eye & brain that they
notice SIDEWAYS movement far more than changes in distance. WOBBLE!
(Pull "accidentally" to the right, as they get closer.)

Good luck. Stay well. And don't transfer the risk to the wildlife....

Public lands are
like public roads and belong to everyone, but your campaign gives
legitimacy to those who are trying to get bicycles off the roads. So
stop, before more people get killed.

Opus

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Help picking next uni Icycle Unicycling 15 October 10th 05 04:00 AM
RR: The Doctor is IN MattB Mountain Biking 5 June 17th 05 05:01 PM
Picking of brains, please wafflycat UK 5 June 9th 05 07:36 PM
Picking Lock with Bic Pen Greg General 15 September 19th 04 06:21 PM
help picking a bike johngrass Australia 2 June 23rd 04 06:02 AM