Will a standard Shimano double FD work with compact cranksets(e.g., 50/34)?

Old July 22nd 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
NandoMan

Default Will a standard Shimano double FD work with compact cranksets(e.g., 50/34)?

I'm curious what the best route to go with when using a compact
(Ritchey Pro 50/34) crankset. I already have the 10-speed shortcage
rear derailleur (Ultegra 6600). Will a standard FD Ultegra Double 6600
Series work?

Thanks!

Old July 22nd 06, 07:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nick Payne

"NandoMan" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm curious what the best route to go with when using a compact
(Ritchey Pro 50/34) crankset. I already have the 10-speed shortcage
rear derailleur (Ultegra 6600). Will a standard FD Ultegra Double 6600
Series work?

It certainly will. I've been using cranks sporting 48-34 chainrings for many
years with standard double front derailleurs. Both Campagnolo and Shimano
FDs. In fact, normal double front derailleurs work perfectly well with much
smaller chainrings. Have a look at
http://www.users.on.net/~njpayne/bik...s/DSC02920.htm, which
shows one of my bikes using 42-28 chainrings with a standard double front
derailleur.

"Compact" specific front derailleurs are just a means of relieving the
credulous cyclist of extra money.

Nick

Old July 22nd 06, 11:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kinky Cowboy

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 16:03:44 +1000, "Nick Payne"
wrote:

"NandoMan" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm curious what the best route to go with when using a compact
(Ritchey Pro 50/34) crankset. I already have the 10-speed shortcage
rear derailleur (Ultegra 6600). Will a standard FD Ultegra Double 6600
Series work?

It certainly will. I've been using cranks sporting 48-34 chainrings for many
years with standard double front derailleurs.

I too use a standard 105 derailleur with 48-34 compact, but the OP
wants 50-34 which is outside the theoretical 15t range of a standard
FD. If he has a very upright seat tube angle and likes to run the
chain from the 34 to small sprockets, the chain may rub on the bottom
of the FD cage. Best to just put the bike together and see if it works
- it almost certainly will.
Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

Old July 22nd 06, 11:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Smokey

NandoMan wrote:
I'm curious what the best route to go with when using a compact
(Ritchey Pro 50/34) crankset. I already have the 10-speed shortcage
rear derailleur (Ultegra 6600). Will a standard FD Ultegra Double 6600
Series work?

Thanks!

I run a standard Shimano 105 front derailleur with a 46/34 compact
crankset with no problems. I do avoid the small sprocket/small
chainring combo, as well as the big/big combination.

Smokey

Old July 22nd 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

Kinky Cowboy wrote:
On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 16:03:44 +1000, "Nick Payne"
wrote:

"NandoMan" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Notice that shimano waved it's magic wand and made their standard FD
compatible with their compact...16t....NO need for a compact FD for any
compact...for any system...

Old July 23rd 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On 21 Jul 2006 19:38:33 -0700, "NandoMan"
wrote:

I'm curious what the best route to go with when using a compact
(Ritchey Pro 50/34) crankset. I already have the 10-speed shortcage
rear derailleur (Ultegra 6600). Will a standard FD Ultegra Double 6600
Series work?

You betcha. I've used roadie double ders (made for 53/39) with
doubles all the way down to 46/32 with no problems. What you've got
to avoid is using a der with a sprocket that's considerably bigger
than what it was designed for; using it with a smaller ring seldom
causes any problems.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old July 23rd 06, 07:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
"Nick Payne" wrote:

"NandoMan" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm curious what the best route to go with when using a compact
(Ritchey Pro 50/34) crankset. I already have the 10-speed shortcage
rear derailleur (Ultegra 6600). Will a standard FD Ultegra Double 6600
Series work?

It certainly will. I've been using cranks sporting 48-34 chainrings for many
years with standard double front derailleurs. Both Campagnolo and Shimano
FDs. In fact, normal double front derailleurs work perfectly well with much
smaller chainrings. Have a look at
http://www.users.on.net/~njpayne/bik...s/DSC02920.htm, which
shows one of my bikes using 42-28 chainrings with a standard double front
derailleur.

"Compact" specific front derailleurs are just a means of relieving the
credulous cyclist of extra money.

The standard road double chain ring set is 53-39, so 48-34
and 42-28 better work.

--
Michael Press
Old July 23rd 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
NandoMan

Thanks for all the input. I'm new to this thing.

Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
"Nick Payne" wrote:

ups.com...