Bike and Shop advice

Old August 5th 06, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Bike and Shop advice

I am going to start a commute soon from Isle of Dogs in London into
Liverpool Street. Approx 4 miles.

Looking for a bike suitable for this and been looking at a Marin
Larkspur or may be a Ridgeway Genesis Day 01. Looking to spend about
500-600 including kit (lights, locks, bag, etc - no helmet as I already
have a reasonable Giro).

Popped into Cycle Surgery and Evans around Spitalfields market today.
Cycle surgery originally had a decent chap helping me but was pulled
away and some disinterested fellow just said they are all much of a
much ness and any hybrid bike with in your price range would suffice
(not those exact words but attitude and meaning was close enough).

Next was Evans - very helpful chap, suggested a Trek bike - a 7.3 (one
with disc brakes for 430 or without for 380). Said he couldnīt
recommend a Specialized as they couldnīt stock them in this particular
branch cause of cycle Surgery being on their doorstep (think he
mentioned a couple of other names).

Can anyone recommend a bike/s or shop. I liked the Evans attitude but
they had limited selection cause of Cycle Surgery. Cycle Surgery were
just plain unhelpful. I am happy to pay recommended prices as long as I
get some very good service and helpful advice.

Old August 5th 06, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John

wrote in message
oups.com...

Can anyone recommend a bike/s or shop. I liked the Evans attitude but
they had limited selection cause of Cycle Surgery. Cycle Surgery were
just plain unhelpful. I am happy to pay recommended prices as long as I
get some very good service and helpful advice.

Go up Brick lane and buy some old second hand crap tomorrow. It is an easy
ride a good bike wouldn't make any real difference. I wouldn't have thought
it was even four miles from Island Gardens. At least with a crap bike you
won't need to worry about it getting nicked.

I don't know if it was Cycle Surgery or not but the last time I got a bike
serviced was a place in Spitalfields. They adjusted my rear derailleur for
no reason so it wasn't correctly indexed and before I had time to adjust it
back it had folded into the back wheel spokes taking the hanger with it.

Old August 6th 06, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
tom

Go up Brick lane and buy some old second hand crap tomorrow. It is an easy
ride a good bike wouldn't make any real difference. I wouldn't have thought
it was even four miles from Island Gardens. At least with a crap bike you
won't need to worry about it getting nicked.

Don't do that, because you'll be supporting the bike-theft trade of
London! And most likely it will be re-stolen for sale somewhere on
Brick Lane unless you get a decent lock. It's a sad fact..

Old August 6th 06, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
steve

wrote:
[...]

Bought a bike from same Evans shop, gears were incorrectly adjusted and
handlebars came loose after one day - the proverbial death trap.

Took it back to get re-checked, took it out of the shop and gears came
off again.

Can anyone recommend a bike/s or shop. I liked the Evans attitude but
they had limited selection cause of Cycle Surgery. Cycle Surgery were
just plain unhelpful. I am happy to pay recommended prices as long as I
get some very good service and helpful advice.

If you are going to buy a bike join LCC to get discounts, though I will
be lobbying LCC to stop promoting Evans with a discount.

Old August 6th 06, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Al C-F

tom wrote:
Go up Brick lane and buy some old second hand crap tomorrow. It is an easy
ride a good bike wouldn't make any real difference. I wouldn't have thought
it was even four miles from Island Gardens. At least with a crap bike you
won't need to worry about it getting nicked.

Don't do that, because you'll be supporting the bike-theft trade of
London! And most likely it will be re-stolen for sale somewhere on
Brick Lane unless you get a decent lock. It's a sad fact..

Woukldn't something bog-standard from Decathlon suit your purposes?
They seem to have mountain bikes, hybrids and road bikes at v. low
prices, and I expect that the Surrey Quays shop is convenient for the OP.
Old August 7th 06, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Well as a follow up - I popped into another CycleSurgery the next day -
the branch in Holborn. The task was actually a bike for my daughter
who is three and a half. Anyway - had a fantastic service there, they
let my daughter loose on the bike, and we bought her a Ridgeback
Melody. It didn't come with stabilisers and it was needed. Offered a 10
discount on them (which wasn't much) - then I asked for a new one as
the one they got off display was scratched. Anyway - long and short,
they sold me the bike and threw the stabilisers in for free. When they
took the bike away for adjustements etc I ended up speaking to a very
ice salesman who took me around and explained the bikes and differences
(obviously subject to range they hold - this branch had no Specialized)
- I liked the look of the Marin Larkspur. He took out a Marin Fairfax
and explained the frame sizes and adjustements etc as I had no clue
about any of this.....ending up walking away thinking that the Fairfax
is much nicer! (although 150 GBP more)..........I would be back there
when I am ready to purchase which hopefully be a few weeks when I drop
my daughters bike for a first service!

Any recommendations for a bike similar say to a Marin Larkspur or a
Marin Fairfax? The salesman did comment that for the same price range,
a Giant offered better value for money but the Marin had better frames.

Old August 7th 06, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Panos

I must say that decatlon didn't really offer value for money. A similar spec
here, I am talking about components here were the same price for a trek etc
and at least you know it's trek not decathlon make. Unless it's on sale!!

Go for a ridgeway etc, my decathlon wasn't very good (got nicked anyway).

"Al C-F" m wrote in
message ...
tom wrote:
Go up Brick lane and buy some old second hand crap tomorrow. It is an
easy
ride a good bike wouldn't make any real difference. I wouldn't have
thought
it was even four miles from Island Gardens. At least with a crap bike you
won't need to worry about it getting nicked.

Don't do that, because you'll be supporting the bike-theft trade of
London! And most likely it will be re-stolen for sale somewhere on
Brick Lane unless you get a decent lock. It's a sad fact..

Woukldn't something bog-standard from Decathlon suit your purposes? They
seem to have mountain bikes, hybrids and road bikes at v. low prices, and
I expect that the Surrey Quays shop is convenient for the OP.

Tire pressure and bad bike shop advice. [email protected] General 20 March 14th 06 04:33 PM
Bad Bike Shop Manners?? NYC XYZ Marketplace 135 February 3rd 06 01:14 AM
Windosr Tourist Bike Revisiited Earl Bollinger General 16 February 13th 05 08:04 PM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Ordering a Trek 5200 Jason Spaceman Techniques 106 September 26th 03 10:42 PM