Doping -- Le Monde editorial

Old July 31st 03, 05:14 AM
Ed-D

Default OT-NYTimes (was: Doping...)

"Arthur Ogus" wrote in message

Not sure what that is supposed to mean, but it's common knowledge that

the
Times is left-of-center.

"Well-known" thanks to the relentness campaign of the right-wing.

uh, no actually that's not why. Paris has something like six or seven

daily
newspapers, ranging from Le Figaro (which is considered conservative) to
l'Humanite (Communist). Le Monde is definitely on the left of that

spectrum.

Meaningless nonetheless.

I was talking, as was the earlier poster, about the New York Times.

well if you really think the NY Times is only viewed as "left wing" because of
a "right wing conspiracy" I suggest you need to adjust your medication.

Old July 31st 03, 05:39 AM
Kurgan Gringioni

"Lindsay" wrote in message
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:18:25 -0700, Ken Prager
wrote:

Well known for his aggressive style of driving, Earnhardt was nicknamed

the
"Intimidator". It is not surprising that you have been nearly run down

by
fans with 3 car stickers. This type of Earnhardt fan is no doubt

expressing
loyalty to his fallen hero by displaying the aggressive style of

driving
which made Dale famous.

Dale died pulling an idiot move trying to block someone who was in
third place to ensure they would not come in second. Dumbass Dale
owned the cars that were in 1st and 2nd place at the time.

Or trying to ensure they wouldn't come in third. 1st and 2nd were way ahead
(considering it was the last lap).

You're right though. Dumbass move.

Old July 31st 03, 06:06 AM
Tim Lines

Default OT-NYTimes

Ed-D wrote:

Not sure what that is supposed to mean, but it's common knowledge that the
Times is left-of-center.

Yah. I heard Rush Limbaugh say so just the other day.

Old July 31st 03, 06:08 AM
Robert Chung

Default Doping -- Le Monde editorial

"Ed-D" wrote in message

What has this to do with the content of the article?

Besides the fact that it is hardly unusual for Le Monde to try to taint

the
achievements of Americans everywhere? Well, nothing I guess....

You think the basis for the article was anti-Americanism?? This shows that
you have neither the context nor the history to evaluate the article.
Perhaps this has escaped you but the French don't really consider the TdF to
be an American event.

The article would almost certainly have been written the same way no matter
who won. Le Monde made a huge deal about the Festina affair, and the Giro
doping raids, and the Rumsas affair, and even the pot belge case in
Perpignan (which was an inconsequential trial connected to French *amateur*
racing). For reasons that have nothing to do with anti-Americanism and
everything to do with the way cycling is perceived in France by the French,
and who promotes cycling in France to the French, Le Monde is
anti-*cycling.*

I know it's simpler to view everything that happens in the world as
pro-American or anti-American and it's simpler to view everything as
left-wing or right-wing but, in this instance, you've been led astray by not
doing your homework, dumbass.

Old July 31st 03, 07:42 AM
Robert Chung

"Ilan Vardi" wrote in message
om...
Le Monde is the "intellectual" newspaper, in the sense that French society
is extremely polarised: people either read Le Monde or L'Equipe but
not both.

I read Le Monde and L'Equipe -- but then I sort of enjoy the buzz that
cognitive dissonance brings.

Old July 31st 03, 10:21 AM
Ilan Vardi

"trg" wrote in message ...

Le Monde has several articles recently insinuating doping with absolutely no
links to back it up other than this idea that they're going so fast that
they must be doping (overlooking about 20 other cumulative effects that
could explain faster speeds.) It's quite tiresome.

There is a similar phenomenon happening now in Track and Field in which
Paula Radcliffe is now being suspected of doping due to her world
records in the marathon, when she had previously been the most
outspoken person against doping. There is absolutely no evidence
against her, of course.

-ilan
Old July 31st 03, 12:41 PM
Jay Hill

Ed-D wrote:
Not sure what that is supposed to mean, but it's common knowledge

that the
Times is left-of-center.

Common knowledge among whom? Dittoheads? So you think every one of
the thousands of employees at the Times takes a little liberal truth
test and swears fealty to Jesse Jackson & Hillary Clinton?

Old July 31st 03, 03:04 PM
Steve Blankenship

"Jay Hill" wrote in message
. ..

Common knowledge among whom? Dittoheads? So you think every one of
the thousands of employees at the Times takes a little liberal truth
test and swears fealty to Jesse Jackson & Hillary Clinton?

So you think "every one of the thousands of employees at the Times" has
anything whatsoever to say about editorial content? Consider the full
political spectrum of print media in the States and the editorial bent of
the NYT will indeed fall left of center. Arguing about to what extent is
really not proper fodder for this NG, and besides; so what? That just
degenerates into yet another variation of "I'm normal and you're not."
****, if we were normal, we'd all be doing something useful instead of
reading RBR. Like watching Regis and Whoever.

So - let's get back to proper RBR stuff like whether LA's a doper and
whether Bobke and Kirsten were hitting it in the TDF.

Old July 31st 03, 03:27 PM
Clovis Lark

wrote:

Well known for his aggressive style of driving, Earnhardt was nicknamed the
"Intimidator". It is not surprising that you have been nearly run down by
fans with 3 car stickers. This type of Earnhardt fan is no doubt expressing
loyalty to his fallen hero by displaying the aggressive style of driving
which made Dale famous.

Dale died pulling an idiot move trying to block someone who was in
third place to ensure they would not come in second. Dumbass Dale
owned the cars that were in 1st and 2nd place at the time.

Dumbass Dale died.

Please, here we need proper ettiquette. THe proper term is "Dumb Ass"...

Lindsay
----------------------------
"One of the annoying things about believing in free
will and individual responsibility is the difficulty
of finding somebody to blame your problems on. And
when you do find somebody, it's remarkable how often
his picture turns up on your driver's license."

P.J. O'Rourke

Old July 31st 03, 03:30 PM
Clovis Lark

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
"Clovis Lark" wrote in message
Ed-D
I don't know about this either but I do know that Le Monde has

numerous axes
to grind with the U.S. government, U.S. private sector companies,

and
Americans in general. If I'm not mistaken, they were one of the

main forces
behind some of the allegations surrounding Lance Armstrong.

What has this to do with the content of the article?

The article was an editorial. As such it is almost expected to
reflect the biases of the writers or the paper as a whole.

The comment above is noting that the paper has certain "issues", but has
no reference to the actual article. I wonder whether the poster even read
it. That's why I made my comment.

JT

NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com